Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

This is how you guys should have done it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, within the posts, its already like that, but they need to make the upper window which shows the threads larger, then the lower window which actually shows the message will be updated as you scroll through the posts.

If the forum had a pull down menu showing all forums at the top from even the message view, and a larger threaded view window in the "Showthread.php" it'd be perfect. That should be a fairly easy fix.

But the "Forumdisplay.php" code is perfect. I'd like to get my hands on that bit of code for TAG.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Cat Herder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
in that forum, can you have threaded view within posts too?
click on a post, you see the threaded view of the thread it belongs to above it.

it's very nice.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 AM
Cat Herder

Originally Posted by fusilier
Yes, within the posts, its already like that, but they need to make the upper window which shows the threads larger, then the lower window which actually shows the message will be updated as you scroll through the posts.

If the forum had a pull down menu showing all forums at the top from even the message view, and a larger threaded view window in the "Showthread.php" it'd be perfect. That should be a fairly easy fix.

But the "Forumdisplay.php" code is perfect. I'd like to get my hands on that bit of code for TAG.
you want the link to the mod? PM me, but you'll need a valid vb license...
Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by pierreb
you want the link to the mod? PM me, but you'll need a valid vb license...
The problem is its only good for VB version 3.6 maybe 3.7.
Those are the older versions of VB available to people who once purchased it, but don't continue to upgrade their liscense for the latest version. VB allows expired customers to upgrade to older versions. The main problem is upgrading this means some of the basic PHP files are changed, so that any subsequent upgrade will mean considerable debugging and rewriting of PHP code to get it working again.

Having installed VB myslef, done a host swap with VB and upgradede VB, the process isn't that hard, but having to manually rewrite sections of PHP files for this is hard as VB updates can come fast and frequent.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Cat Herder

Originally Posted by fusilier
The problem is its only good for VB version 3.6 maybe 3.7.
Those are the older versions of VB available to people who once purchased it, but don't continue to upgrade their liscense for the latest version. VB allows expired customers to upgrade to older versions. The main problem is upgrading this means some of the basic PHP files are changed, so that any subsequent upgrade will mean considerable debugging and rewriting of PHP code to get it working again.

Having installed VB myslef, done a host swap with VB and upgradede VB, the process isn't that hard, but having to manually rewrite sections of PHP files for this is hard as VB updates can come fast and frequent.
Yep, I know all that. Not my first dance with VB, fwiw
Old 03-21-2009, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Better. Its a definate improvement.
you guys work quick.
I'd continue embellishing the layout to have pamplet graphics to help distinguish the lead post of a thread and to seperate threads.

Also, inside the thread view, I noticed you have the thread window under the message post window. This seems to create a refresh or something with each read, I don't know if thats intentional, but it seems to reindex the page every time to move to a different post. This isn't like standard Vbulletin threaded view.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Don't make it too busy. Too much crappola and it will take forever to load.