Oilpan swap on a 1.8T....anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:02 AM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oilpan swap on a 1.8T....anyone done it?

I mostly stripped the drain plug threads on my wife's 03 Jetta 1.8T a couple of changes ago, and it's been getting worse on subsequent oil changes.

The last time I changed the oil a few weeks ago, the drain plug didn't end up as tight as I'd like it when I screwed it back in. So during her next oil change, I want to replace the entire oilpan, unless there is some method to R&R the drain plug threads. It's an aluminum pan I believe, which is the problem.

I'm going to start looking for a used pan soon. It looks pretty straightforward to drop, with no crossmembers to remove. What gaskets do I need...turbo drain tube and one for the pan itself? Or can the flanges be cleaned and sealed with grey RTV (the way I've done it twice on my Mitsu turbo; no leaks running 23psi of boost)?

Anyone know the TQ values for the oilpan bolts for re-installation?

I hate that POS car of hers, but I'd rather not have to replace the engine when the drain plug blows out and the engine starves.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lucky the tranverse doesn't need to drop the subframe like the longitudnal

I'll get your the tq specs. I remember doing Ivan's 12V, that was rather easy. I think we used grey RTV as well. Just get a new gasket at the dealer and you should be all set.