Anyone experience Government Auctions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experience Government Auctions?

I've been a little intrigued by the Alameda County Auction that's held the first Sat of every month in Dublin. Not that I'm looking for a car right now, but I signed up for their inventory list that goes out the thursday before the auction that lists what's available. I'm tempted to go hang out one auction day to see what takes place. If anyone has experience with them, I'd really like to hear your thoughts.

Of possible interest...every list the past three months has included a 2000 S4 on it, and a few A4s/A6s as well. My g/f and I took a bike ride last weekend along the Iron Horse Trail and took a wrong turn at a 'Y' and ended up behind the yard that all these cars are stored behind Sierra Court. I'm cruising along the fence line and I see an A6 2.7T..then another..a few cars down from that is a 2000 Laser Red S4. Looked pretty nice from what I could see through slatted chainlink fence...they might not know what they've got!

Don't know if it's the same S every month (the pic on the website is silver)but if I could ****** it up and resell right now, I'd do it! Someone go get it! (then tell me how it all works!)<ul><li><a href="http://www.acauction.com/index.htm">Alameda County Auction</a></li></ul>
Old 06-21-2004, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default dad bought a 2000 Ford Exploder from that same auction in 2001 i believe

12K for the Exploder--no major issues sofar. he took it to vegas at least 3 times already since he has a house there and it's also his daily comuter to Oakland (we're in Daly City).

They normally keep the website updated with what they have and then you get to go a day before the auction to look at all the cars b4 bidding on them the next day. you can bring a mechanic to look over the car you want and you're allowed to start the cars. i think the info is on the website.

i believe 10% down once you win the bid (and they can help you finance--but i'm sure the rates are high). there are some nice ones out there that go for dirt cheap sometimes. if you're interested, you can just watch the bids and stuff and then hope that the next month they have good cars up.

that was going to be one of my options before i decided on my A4 2 years later.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:24 PM

Default thanks..

I did read through all the policies/procedures on the site and get the gist of it.

So it's basically highest bidder takes it home? Hmmm..I wonder if I could scrounge up 10K for an S4! and turn and sell it for 20! :-)

Sounds like you can get some pretty good deals..12K for a year old Explorer is pretty good! I guess cash is the way to go, though.

thanks again for the info
Old 06-23-2004, 12:01 PM

Default If you are serious about bidding on a car...

Do your research. The VINs are all available and thus you can check their histories via CarFax. Come up with two prices: the price you'd like to pay and the absolute maximum you will pay. Don't for any reason exceed the latter.

I've been to this auction and people bid up prices to a point where it is no longer a good deal. BE CAREFUL!
Old 06-27-2004, 04:44 PM

Default great info..

thanks! where do they typically start bidding? wholesale? blue book? 0?
Old 07-05-2004, 04:52 PM

Default I've been out of town since I posted the response

I don't know where they start the bidding. If no one bids, then they lower their bid. The big thing abou this is that people get very emotional about bidding for the item and bid much higher than the car is worth. That is why you should determine, ahead of time, what you want to pay for a car.
Old 07-06-2004, 03:14 PM

np &lt;eom&gt;