Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

A4 1.8T Tuning Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 1.8T Tuning Advice

I just purchased a 99 A4Q 1.8T Tip. I already have a 00 A6Q 2.8 Tip. I'd like to make the A4 a track/performance car while keeping it street legal. The A6 will remain the family/commuter car.

Is there a consensus of opinion as to the best performance and handling mods for this car? I've searched the archives and am overwhelmed by the amount of info.

TIA for your opinions.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default a4 racing 101: well, I have no idea what you really want to do with this car, but....

Here are a few ideas if you're just starting to track or want to start racing. First of all, it all comes down to driver skill! A driver who can't get good times in a slow car, doesn't belong in a fast car. So I would say mod #1 should be this!

http://www.fetchbook.info/search_Going_Faster_by_Sullivan/editions_allEditions.html
Read this book and you wont suck! hehe its a good book everyone here should read.

Then go to your local race shop and buy a helmet and an intercom lap timer. don't be ghay and try to buy the right helmet online. Support your local shop and buy a helmet from someone who races and knows how they fit!

If you want to run fast times with solo II auto x or something you might want to look into another car. I've yet to see a fast a4 @ these events but I'm sure it can be done. Most people who wanna race get a car that costs a little less. then again its all up to the driver skill. so first figure out what kind of events the you'll be doing and build according to the rules. if its just a play car then don't worry about race class rules.

if its going to be just for fun, take it to the track w/ friends kinda car then its time to get the car on the track to see what mods you want. Track experience will be the best mod of all

so if your stock start out with a nice smooth chip w/ 100 oct race gas program hehe!! (www.goapr.com) you might want an exhaust, if so get rid of the cat @ the same time!

Suspension w/ heavy springs (http://www.stasisengineering.com). This is a no f-around setup so it may take time to set them up right... also very expensive.

Motopersona ://www.motopersona.com has a GREAT track/street set up for about ½ the price of the Stasis kit. you should give Rob a call to lean more about them really good deal for a custom valved coilover w/ a heavy springs. most of the other coilovers I know of have light springs and valving for street use. some companies wont even tell you what springs they use, stay away from those guys imho. also make sure you get something with a good warrenty. you'll need to get any racing suspention serviced or rebuilt from time to time. you might wanna get 2 sets if your serious, perhaps one set up for big fast tracks and the other for smaller/ auto x. once you learn how to install a suspention it doesnt take very long and having them revalved isnt very expensive. you could buy 2 sets of the mp coilovers for the price of one stasis kit. but the stasis kit is VERY adjustable and the mp kit is only height adjustable. but if it works, who wants to adjust it right? I guess people who like to screw with settings like me! you'll also need to think long and hard about how you want to handle camber/caster/toe/with the new suspention look to cpp and kmac for solutions here 2bennet might have someting also but I dont know anything about it. you'll need to set up spring rate valving and height/rake with your swaybar first tho. make small changes and try to keep a baseline. ties, tire pressure also makes a big diff!blah blah blah...... this probably is helping you much is it??

try to get a ride in lots of other cars w/ suspensions if you can. if you install something hardcore if can be very dangerous if your not a smooth driver or expecting the car to react the way it does. seams in the concrete could make you spin out of control nnoooooooooo!! guess the key is to make it stable yet allow the rear end to pop out a little when you want, but without sacrificing overall traction.
you'll also need a set of good light wheels w/ good tires. race compound or street, whatever you want. I would say start out on street tires and them move to a cheater tire before buying a set of Michelin cups!

then you'll need stainless steel brake lines good fluid and some race pads. go with http://www.cobaltfriction.com/ Andi is the man when it comes to brakes!!!
cobalt makes real race pads for the stock a4 brakes @ a great price!!!! they also sell a bunch of other brake parts for good prices!!!!

if you wanna keep up with really fast drivers in fast cars you'll need a turbo kit but dont bother till you really know the car and can see every inch of every local track in your head.

Dont go out and buy big brakes right away. learning how to work with what you have is part of becoming a good race driver. you dont what mods to be a crutch for poor driving and getting big brakes the fist time you experience fade is a great way to do this. Well I think this covers the basics. Have fun!!!!
Old 07-15-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Thanks Phil, but not quite what I was looking for

Lots of good info in your post, but I left out some important details in my original post.

I've taken my A6 and some other cars on the track for the last 3-4 years, but I'm a newbie when it comes to the A4 1.8T. I'm looking for advice on the best mods for the 1.8T in suspension, brakes, chips etc.
Old 07-15-2003, 11:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

right on, try the a4 fourm, they might know.