Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Calling all Q5owners:Steering wheel shudder

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2010 Q5 2500 mile, having the low speed/parking lot/ tight turn shudder, no high speed vibration.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2009 Q5 with ~4k miles, having the low speed/parking lot/ tight turn shudder, no high speed vibration. Been having the problem since day 1, Audi of Austin couldn't replicate. I didn't bother showing them since I figured it will take a TSB before they know what to do.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default So kindly explain this

Originally Posted by john1r
2010 Q5 with 1,200 miles and no steering shudder/shake.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2763243Because I have recorded you as having judder Sep-09.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2763243Because I have recorded you as having judder Sep-09.
Sorry about that. I actually corrected myself later in that same topic:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=6

It wasn't actually shudder, but rather a 'harsh/clunky' shifting which I was incorrectly calling shudder...
Old 10-01-2009, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh OK thanks for that.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default shudder/vibration reports on German Audi forum

Guys, this looks like a serious Q5 and A4 issue. There is a sh*t storm going on at the German Audi Forum at http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/unwuc...-t2360258.html about that topic.

People experiencing steering wheel shudder and vibrations from 100-120km/h (60 - 75mph) after roughly 3000 miles. They had their dealers change tires, balance the wheels on the car, changed suspension arms and the brake disks - which fixed it for a while - before the same problem showed again after 2800 miles.

As of Oct 7 2009 it turned out that IS the break disks! They distort due to thermal stress. The distortion then causes the shudder @ a specific speed. After replacing the disks it works for another 3000 miles before you need to start over again...

For Audi this MUST be a known issue and they need to come up with long term solution. That might be different disks or a whole new (larger) break system for the Q5 and A5.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

^Is there a recall for this? Seems like there could be some serious accidents.

Last edited by qsuv; 10-09-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by qsuv
^Is there a recall for this? Seems like there could be some serious accidents.
No, no recall in Germany yet. Even dealers are not completely aware of the issue yet. I would guess that Audi would want to do an ECN (engineering change modification) and do a rolling change in production and the same time swap these discs in the filed as soon as they show shudder symptoms.

I'll keep you posted on any news on this topic.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rko6969
No, no recall in Germany yet. Even dealers are not completely aware of the issue yet. I would guess that Audi would want to do an ECN (engineering change modification) and do a rolling change in production and the same time swap these discs in the filed as soon as they show shudder symptoms.

I'll keep you posted on any news on this topic.
Great info!!! My dealer has balanced my wheels three or four times without fixing it. It's annoying. I called AofA and they gave me a case#. They said to call again if dealer couldn't fix problem. I notice ours started around the 2k-3k mark.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 60-75mph judder, jet another major issue. Software update on request only

people are reporting about yet another 60-75mph judder issue that is gear box software related. Audi is apparently offering "custom" software updates on request only.

http://translate.google.de/translate...hl=de&ie=UTF-8

and

http://translate.google.de/translate...hl=de&ie=UTF-8

The translation "my friendly" == car dealer. Problem also described as "Jerky" driving and "hubble and swing" accross the sreet. "Cow" = Q5

"q5runner" reports 04 Oct 2009:

there is no general software update for the Q5 since not all of Q5a are affeced even though they have s-tronic. The issues people are seeing do vary to a ceratin extent. The speed fluctuation (judder) might have various causes as well.

According to Audi one cause of the 60mph judder with the s-tronic is that the s-tronic clutch is reacting on resonance osciallation of the turbo charger which makes the clutch disconnect and re-connect right after. Each individual car needs to get a custom software update to fix that problem.

Now, I don't know about the US - but people over here in Germany are wondering why they need to need to read news boards to identify these issues with their premium car. The Audi dealers are clueless on all this (at least that's what they say). You would expect to get a letter or call from your dealer to get that fixed. They will leave you in the dark about this until the cows come home.

At least they should know what you are talking about if you mention the words "judder" and "60mph" to them...

I guess I have to spend my $50k some place else. I don't want become the Audi test driver fixing their designs. Suggestions welcome.

Quick Reply: Calling all Q5owners:Steering wheel shudder