Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Convenience Key Defective Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convenience Key Defective Issue

Let me start out by saying that I am a victim of my own stupidity. The rear passenger side door window in our 2015 TDI broke when the landscaper accidentally hit it with the edger. First world problems, I know. He offered to reimburse and instead of going with Safelite (here in the US, a well-reputed nation auto glass repair company), which was more expensive, I went with a local cheaper auto glass company. I get the car back and the window does not close properly. I play with it for a little bit, but eventually get it properly lined up as the "pinch protection" was unintentionally activating. It is only then that I realize that the convenience portion of the key fob is no longer working. The door does not lock/unlock by pressing on the sensor with the keys. The push button start no longer works. When I try it, there is a sign in the dash that says "Convenience Key defective" and to place the key in the ignition. I realize that the two events (window fixing) and (convenience features failing) could be purely coincidental. However, the convenience key features were working perfectly fine when I drove the vehicle over to the shop. Also, I read in other posts that people mentioned cold weather, but the high yesterday was 75 degrees farrenheit. Before I drop hundreds to a thousand on a new module, any suggestions or thoughts? I am not handy enough to do the fix by myself unless it is level 4 or lower on a 1-10 difficulty scale and I may be giving myself too much of the benefit of the doubt. Also, I ordered a Carista OBD2, but will only get that tomorrow so I do not know what if any error codes there could be.