Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Do Q5 engines burm oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
You only have 1100 miles. Give it some time and you'll burn just like all the others.
I'll take what I can get... The a4 that I had mentioned earlier used to drink oil.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
My 2012 Q5 2.0T has not consumed any oil. I check both MMI and dip stick. I changed the oil filter at 1K then 5k and last week at 10k. No issues, other than heated seat, lack of heat that will be corrected under a TSB Love the Q!
I traded my 2012 Q5 with almost 18k on the clock for a 2013 A6. No oil consumption between oil changes. I believe it comes down to proper break in!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 PM
rez
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Had no oil burning issues up to 10K miles (I check oil with MMI and dipstick) but that changed after the 10K oil change. Oil was changed at both 5k and 10K at the dealer (and I will continue doubling up on recommended change interval) and I followed Audi recommended break-in afaik. In any case at ~12.5K oil was down between a quarter and a half quart (liter) - I've had numerous cars (mostly Asian) over the years and never had any oil burning issues at those mileages so this came as quite a surprise - especially since there was literally zero burning up to 10K.

Others have suggested a change in oil brand and/or weight may have caused the issue but dealer insists they use only Castrol 5W40 synthetic - and that this was what they had used at both the 5 and 10K oil changes.

I started a regimen of oil testing (Polaris) after the 5K change (and also purchased a dipstick) because the oil just did not look clean after the 5K change. It also did not look clean after the 10K change so I sent in another sample for testing but the test results came back with all markers indicating new oil. After I noticed the oil was down at the 12.5K mark I took another sample (before topping up) and those results came back only marginally degraded from the results at 10K. So other than the fact it has started burning oil everything else seems in order. As far as the visual indications, others have pointed out that the oil in the 2 litre turbo-motor gets black in a hurry after a change. Still, from my perspective it would be preferable that it did not burn any oil - I like to keep my vehicles for 8-10 years and oil burning starting at 10K, when I put somewhere between 14-15K a year on my vehicles, makes that goal for the Q5 seem unlikely. All the more regrettable as, aside from a niggle or 2 (whining power steering as Konig has documented), I love the engineering and quality of the vehicle.

Last edited by rez; 10-18-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: editorial
Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The oil consumption issue on the 2.0T engines is well known. It affects all the models that uses this engine. I am not certain whether the incidence rate varies from continent to continent, but down here in Australia, my dealer told me based on his experience, about 60% of the cars with this engine have this consumption issue. The issue seems to be related to the piston rings as the permanent fix is to replace all the rings.

It is strange that sometimes the oil consumption would shoot up without any obvious reason. I have a 2011 Q5 2.0T that used to consume oil at around 300ml/1000km, and at around 10000km, it started to burn at almost 1L per 1000km. The dealer implemented the first stage fix, namely replacing the PCV valve and the gasket seal and so far the consumption has dropped down to the 300ml/1000km level. Audi generally won't replace the rings unless the consumption goes over 0.5L/1000km as stated in the manual.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tigerking
The oil consumption issue on the 2.0T engines is well known. It affects all the models that uses this engine. I am not certain whether the incidence rate varies from continent to continent, but down here in Australia, my dealer told me based on his experience, about 60% of the cars with this engine have this consumption issue. The issue seems to be related to the piston rings as the permanent fix is to replace all the rings.

It is strange that sometimes the oil consumption would shoot up without any obvious reason. I have a 2011 Q5 2.0T that used to consume oil at around 300ml/1000km, and at around 10000km, it started to burn at almost 1L per 1000km. The dealer implemented the first stage fix, namely replacing the PCV valve and the gasket seal and so far the consumption has dropped down to the 300ml/1000km level. Audi generally won't replace the rings unless the consumption goes over 0.5L/1000km as stated in the manual.
I have 2011 Q5 2.0T with 22900 mi.
After the first 5K mi it required a qt of oil. Dealer said this is normal. (no one told me this when I bought the car).
It continued to use oil ever 5 K until 21K. Now it is using about a qt of oil every 1000 mi. ( I use Mobil 1).

Dealer tells me if I do not see oil leaking to my garage floor, this is normal. Just keep added oil

I find this hard to believe. Other makes with 20T engines do not use oil.

My lease is up in 10 mo. If I don't get better answers to this question, it will be goodbye to Audi!
Old 01-20-2020, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftWood
It seems to me that the 3.2 engine has less of this issue than the 2.0T engine. Given that 3.2 is a regular V6 and 2.0T is a turbo, maybe turbo is the cause?
Hi. The turbo can be a cause of oil consumption but the generally discussed issue is not about turbo.
It is my understanding that Audi tried to make too sporty of an engine and made oil removing ring on the piston, too thin thus inefficient. That is why if you take your audi to the dealer with serious oil consumption issue, they would replace PCV valve first to take it out of equation and if that does not solve the problem, they replace pistons, I guess new piston design has wider bed for more efficient oil removing ring. I think after 2012 all 2.0T engines received new style pistons from factory but I am not 100% certain this is accurate. Guys, if anyone knows exate data - please chip in.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 140K on a 3.2 from 2011. Half quart every 5000 miles. No drips, just burns it.

If you buy a 2.0, make sure to get at least a 2014 or newer and you will be fine.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Roman NJ has it pegged.Once oil starts travelling past the oil ring, that's it.Changing oil brand/viscosity isn't going to help much.Good luck with this issue.
By the way are you tied to that dealer or do you have options ?
Their suggestion that this is "normal" suggests a serious unwillingness to help you with this well known/documented issue I've been in Audi's for a long time and their engines are not known as oil burners, with the exception of the 2.0LT.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Roman NJ has it pegged.Once oil starts travelling past the oil ring, that's it.Changing oil brand/viscosity isn't going to help much.Good luck with this issue.
By the way are you tied to that dealer or do you have options ?
Their suggestion that this is "normal" suggests a serious unwillingness to help you with this well known/documented issue I've been in Audi's for a long time and their engines are not known as oil burners, with the exception of the 2.0LT.
Hi. I believe you do have options. If engine has not been overheated than it is a matter of swapping the pistons. I mean, if you dont have to bore out and resleeve the block but rather swap 4 pistons with new rings in them, many indies should be capable of doing the job and high quality aftermarket parts are available - I am most certain of that. It would be very labor intensive, lots of nuts and bolts but assuming you can get car high enough to work under - can be done in your own garage possibly without removing the engine but would be a lot more convenient with engine out.
May be one of these days I'd buy nice but oil consuming audi and give it a shot.
Back in a years I bought 2006 6sp manual X5 which was literally withinh last few month of X53 body production and wanted my mechanic to replace clutch while I install short-throw shifter mechenism. After he was crying and whining about how complex this job is and I have to leave the car for several days and tried to drop the subject of replacing the shifter mechenism, I said f-it, bought ramps, tools, jacks, attachment to secure gearbox on jack and did the job on driveway including rear crankshaft seal. So these things are doable, plenty of home made videos about that, I mean you're not creating/inventing but rather unbolting and bolting back, all the info is available, just bring your own pair of hands
I mean, I did helped my father to rebuild engines back in Ukraine since I was like 6. They were primitive VS modern Audi engines but all major components are still there, sure there was no jets spraying oil on back side of pistons, no VVTs but still, same principal. Damn, my hands itch to do this as I type it up . We'll see.
I will start with simple engine/tranny swap in my Moms Q5 probably.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Roman NJ the engine pull on an Audi is nowhere near as difficult as on many other vehicles.Generally hardware and wiring harnesses come apart as instructed in the manuals. Once you have that sucker hanging on a chain many jobs become quite straightforward.

Quick Reply: Do Q5 engines burm oil?