Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Interesting thing happened to me with ACC

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Interesting thing happened to me with ACC

I had my car into the Prestige in Denver and they kept it two days because they had to do a carbon clean to eliminate a check engine light.

On the way home I tried to activate cruise control and it said on the dash that ACC not active [Active Cruise Control]. Thinking it was just a loose connector I take it into the local dealership here in Fort Collins and they tell me to bring it in for a quick trip to reconnect the radar in the front.

I bring it in and they get to it right away only to tell me that when ever the radar in front is disconnected they have to put it on an alignment rack and it takes a half to full day. So I now have a second appointment Not sure what this is about and I sure don't under stand what the difference is with just having a connector not plugged in and say a task of changing a battery (does this mean anytime the battery is disconnected the radar has to be realigned????)

Anyone have anything similar happen???
Old 05-30-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It is only in the case when the ACC radar removed from vehicles

Notes for service
If the adaptive cruise control unit -J428- is removed during repair work on the front of the vehicle, it must be recalibrated after it is reinstalled →Rep. gr.44 and → Vehicle diagnostic tester in “Guided Functions” mode.
Name:  ScreenShot345_zps6698c38a.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  13.4 KB

Attachment PDF for the calibration procedure

Last edited by spijun; 05-30-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 584 Likes on 490 Posts
Default FWIW, I think this is all the classic German stereotype over precision stuff

"Vee must make sure it is all aligned to .001 mm." Nevermind that we can't keep the carbon out of the intake at the level of perhaps multiple mm. Or use a PCV valve that works for not just emissions but also carbon/crud build up issues, costs less than $100 for plastic and a spring and is less than 10x as large as any other design I have ever seen.

Meanwhile in the real world, my wife banged the s%^& out of the lower bumper chin on the old Toyota Siena with adaptive. Needed some epoxy on the bumper cover openings, and I took some pliers and crescent wrenches to the concealed adaptive sensor bracket behind the cover. It was bent upward probably fully 15 or 20 degrees. Did it by eye and bolted it back on in the driveway. With a few trials down the freeway, I moved it a few incremental degrees side to side for alignment, again just by visual appearance; no even remotely special tools. Net, good as new after that as far as general tracking accuracy. And that's a relatively extreme case.

In the real Audi world, if I unbolted the sensor or the front clip generally and bolted it back the same way and it all aligned similarly, I put the screws in the same positions relative to any paint marks, etc, I would call it good. Just like I would if I removed and replaced a headlight to get at something else and then put it right back the same way, I wouldn't go get them re aligned either. If I changed over to new parts and it didn't go back in the same way or I lost the alignment/indexing somehow-- the practicalities of tie rods ends for example in suspension work--different story. For Audi as a "safety" related component in some ways, I get the cautiousness, but if it's "customer pay," I'm more practical about the real vs. hypothetical world.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-30-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Are they going to charge you for this radar alignment?

Originally Posted by Reggie
I had my car into the Prestige in Denver and they kept it two days because they had to do a carbon clean to eliminate a check engine light.

On the way home I tried to activate cruise control and it said on the dash that ACC not active [Active Cruise Control]. Thinking it was just a loose connector I take it into the local dealership here in Fort Collins and they tell me to bring it in for a quick trip to reconnect the radar in the front.

I bring it in and they get to it right away only to tell me that when ever the radar in front is disconnected they have to put it on an alignment rack and it takes a half to full day. So I now have a second appointment Not sure what this is about and I sure don't under stand what the difference is with just having a connector not plugged in and say a task of changing a battery (does this mean anytime the battery is disconnected the radar has to be realigned????)

Anyone have anything similar happen???
The first dealer obviously disconnected it to clean the carbon, they should be held responsible for it, not the second dealer who may charge you.

I can see somewhere down the road that when these Q5's are near 8-10 years old they will be be worthless for all the expensive issues like this one, the carbon cleaning, many other items that need reprogramming when disconnected/changed like the battery. Need VCDS to change the rear brake pads. The used car buyer will definitely skip these Q5's if they know what the super high costs to maintain it are.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks guys - guess this is on Audi as I am still under warranty
Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Took the car in today to get the alignment done on the adaptive cruise control and they said they were on the phone with Audi all morning as they could not get the radar system aligned - as such they have now ordered a new module and I have an appointment next week again.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Finally got the new radar and it aligned today. Saw the cost to Audi (US$2600) but warranty covered it all.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Finally got the new radar and it aligned today. Saw the cost to Audi (US$2600) but warranty covered it all.
WOW $2600
I'm glad that you solved the problem
I think it's your dealer gone too far with price, but it does not matter

Last edited by spijun; 06-11-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!
Good thing it wasn't on your dime!

One thing I don't like about the ACC is that when it "fails", cruise control is disabled all together.
I experienced a "failure" once on a road trip during a snow storm. I tried to enable ACC and I got an error in the DIS along the lines of "ACC sensor blocked", and couldn't engage any sort of cruise control.

In such a situation I would expect the system to default to legacy CC - not disable CC entirely.

Yay for technical progress!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
WOW!

One thing I don't like about the ACC is that when it "fails", cruise control is disabled all together.
I experienced a "failure" once on a road trip during a snow storm. I tried to enable ACC and I got an error in the DIS along the lines of "ACC sensor blocked", and couldn't engage any sort of cruise control.
Main reason why I didn't order it on my SQ5. Heard some situations that disabled completely the system where you could use it securely (not a snow storm, or pooring rain)...

Quick Reply: Interesting thing happened to me with ACC