Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Meet the vehicle built for [re]

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Meet the vehicle built for [re]

I think what struck me the most, was that they were getting 1700 mile plus fuel ranges on those cars. That could mean 70 gallons of fuel, maybe 50 gallons would have to be carried in jerry cans or a fuel cell. 400 extra pounds of fuel, yikes. Anyone want to install a spare 55 gallon fuel drum in their back seat?

Wait, aren't there Level 2 Supercharging stations every 150 miles along that route?

I think we need to point out to Audi, they ought to organize a TWO THOUSAND MILE winter cross-country rallye, all expenses paid, so we can validate the brand for them.(VBG)
Old 03-22-2019, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I think what struck me the most, was that they were getting 1700 mile plus fuel ranges on those cars. That could mean 70 gallons of fuel, maybe 50 gallons would have to be carried in jerry cans or a fuel cell. 400 extra pounds of fuel, yikes. Anyone want to install a spare 55 gallon fuel drum in their back seat?

Wait, aren't there Level 2 Supercharging stations every 150 miles along that route?

I think we need to point out to Audi, they ought to organize a TWO THOUSAND MILE winter cross-country rallye, all expenses paid, so we can validate the brand for them.(VBG)
‘I think you meant to post this someplace else and not start a new thread.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No, since you can't post any comments to the Mazda *ad*, I'm commenting on it as a comment thread.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary

‘I think you meant to post this someplace else and not start a new thread.
I have a hard time following most of his posts tbh. Super random.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep them coming Redd, breaks up the boredom! 'LK'
Old 04-07-2019, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Cheers to that we need some variety here.The short term winner of this war is whoever can come up with a very high density energy source that costs very little.Diesel comes to mind (ducking !) The Ev market will be dominated by whoever can produce reasonable range ( my personal "buy-in" is 500Km.@-20C.) in a respectable machine.Hope it'll be an Audi ?
Old 04-07-2019, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Steam powered turbine hybrid
Old 04-10-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually "steam turbine" is not all that crazy. The Stanley Steamer was driven off the market by folks like Oldsmobile and Ford, who loudly suggested the steam cars were blowing up and killing people. (Never happened.) And the Steamers were the fastest cars in their day, with a range equal or better than anything else.

Same thing happened in the rail industry. GE sold the railroads on their diesel-electric locomotives, which were clean and low maintenance--to the casual user. Certainly good for getting trains into places like Grand Central or Penn Station, where trains chuffing any kind of smoke could not be tolerated. But triple and quadruple expansion steam turbines were *just* coming onto the market at the time, and GE kept saying "Yeah, but you still have to shovel out all that ash every day..." and killed the steam trains. Steam turbines powered all large shipping for a long time despite that.

And, the largest, fastest, longest-range, most heavily armed warships today are STILL powered by steam turbines. The steam is produced by nuclear reactors, sure...but those submarines and carriers are still STEAM powered.

IIRC there were some attempts to build steam powered cars with some of the newer steam designs, but they didn't work out. Folks just don't want to wait for that initial warm-up period. Which is only a problem if you're too cheap or impulsive to give the chauffeur a half hour's warning to get the car ready...