Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

mirror fell off! and I'm selling my Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
I got a flat tire, I'm selling the Q5. (JUST KIDDING YOU GUYS!)
Well guys, it's the end of my tank of gas so... time to sell 'er..., what a car really built for the long haul as I really like to keep my cars to the end... of a tank of fuel...warning light on and everything to fill up...who needs that stress...she'll be worth something in scrap...kidding I kid....

Last edited by Mitch105; 03-21-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayGBM
Am I the only one who thinks this is unacceptable in a vehicle at this price point? Has Audi offered any comment about this problem? Is it limited to the Q5 or does it happen across the brand?
I agree 100%! I do not understand how this could happen a multiple of times?
Old 03-22-2011, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neunelf
I agree 100%! I do not understand how this could happen a multiple of times?
If that's the worst thing that happens to your Q5 thank your lucky stars.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hmn4858
If that's the worst thing that happens to your Q5 thank your lucky stars.
I do not understand your mocking/dismissive tone. If you told me this was happening in a Yugo or a Chrysler I would have shrugged and accepted it, but to see this happening as often as it is with the Q5 points to a serious quality control problem. That this is happening with an automaker with so many years of experience--and an ostensibly upscale brand--is a substantial turn off to owners and prospective owners.

This is obviously no big deal to you. So be it. Clearly, we have different standards.

Last edited by BayGBM; 03-22-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Am I the only one who thinks this is unacceptable in a vehicle at this price point? Has Audi offered any comment about this problem? Is it limited to the Q5 or does it happen across the brand?
Only on models with windshields - lol!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not understand your mocking/dismissive tone. If you told me this was happening in a Yugo or a Chrysler I would have shrugged and accepted it, but to see this happening as often as it is with the Q5 points to a serious quality control problem. That this is happening with an automaker with so many years of experience--and an ostensibly upscale brand--is a substantial turn off to owners and prospective owners.

This is obviously no big deal to you. So be it. Clearly, we have different standards.
I wasn't mocking but if you want to fight so be it. I'm an aerospace engineer and have worked with a lot of suppliers. Do you have any idea how many components are actually in a vehicle? Every component has an allotted acceptible failure rate. Components can have multiple suppliers as well. If the quality goes past acceptable suppliers can be dropped but guess what some bad components can still be installed. This goes for any type of manufacturing. Ever here of a 5 grand tv going out? Yes it isn't unreasonable to expect a better quality car but in the real world no car manufacturer is perfect. You can spend a mil on a car and still have issues. There's a reasonable amount of acceptance that there are going to be flaws. Why do you think there are warranties? To expect you car to be perfect because you dropped 45k is unrealistic. Like I said count yourself lucky. So far i've had the steering hose replaced, the DRL went out, and fuel injectors replaced but you don't see me whining about it in this forum because I live in the real world. If that's condescending so be it.

Last edited by hmn4858; 03-22-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hmn4858
...There's a reasonable amount of acceptance that there are going to be flaws. Why do you think there are warranties? To expect you car to be perfect because you dropped 45k is unrealistic...
Dude. +1
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitch105
Well guys, it's the end of my tank of gas so... time to sell 'er..., what a car really built for the long haul as I really like to keep my cars to the end... of a tank of fuel...warning light on and everything to fill up...who needs that stress...she'll be worth something in scrap...kidding I kid....
Now that's some funny sarcasm. While I've never had a more expensive car I know plenty of people who have and I think a typical bell curve fits for car quality. The really cheap cars could be accurately depicted as having poor quality and the really expensive cars might have great build quality but they use more exotic and one off components so they suffer a higher failure rate. This is totally unscientific but I have a feeling the sweet spot is probably just a little lower than the Q5.

Component production volume has a lot to do with failure rates too. If you build very few of a component you're generally hand building them so very few will fail but if you build maybe 10,000 of something your bound to have flaws that go unnoticed until they fail down the line. If you make 1,000,000 of something the same flaw will show up on a larger number of components and you may notice it and correct for it quicker thereby preventing more failures in the final assembly.

All of this is assuming the engineering is of the same quality, you can have great components and just really bad engineering and have everything fail.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by JFA in L.A.
Didn't see that in his original post.

Not trying to give the guy a hard time, but it did sound like his mirror broke so he was selling the car. If he's having financial problems, that's a whole different story.
I decided to sell the Q before the mirror was dangling. Since I've read others with the same mirror problem, it was just another thing that put the q in the shop for two days while a new windshield was ordered.

I expect more from an Audi, sorry. My '05 Mazda 6 sits outside with 98k miles and so far I've had to repair a leak in the power steering return line (piece of rubber hose and two clamps). I've been babied by reliability.

With the two year Audi warranty here in Europe, I would have to pay out-of-pocket for any repairs after that and then ask for reimbursement from Audi USA since I have the 4 year 50k warranty from them. Sorry but the Euro is worth a lot more than the dollar and I don't like paying for expensive repairs which has been the norm for the Q so far if there was no warranty. So, with making up a different budget and riding the bike and train more often, I simply don't need the monthly payment and hassle of the Q. I'll miss that sunroof and the B&O for sure. Can't beat that comfortable ride and precise handling. I will miss the way it performs on the autobahn! Sadly, i never got it to Nurburgring.

So, it is for sale and i have a few interested parties. We'll see what happens.