Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My Subwoofer Audyssey

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're happy with the sound, more specifically, the bass in the stock B&O that's great, but I wasn't. I enjoy listening to well balanced sound too. In my opinion, the Q5 system is not a well balanced when you can barely hear the bass notes in a song, unless your in the garage. Every car I've been in that had a separate woofer in the stock stereo system blew away the Q5 in regards to bass response. Now, the mids n highs in the B&O system are far and away the best I've listened too in a stock system. My goal was, in my opinion, to bring the quality of the bass up to the mids n high. With the sub n amp install, I feel I now have a superior sounding car stereo system for a total added cost of right around $800.

Thank You,
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I recently went into a shop to inquire about improving the bass in my B&O Q5 but my requirements were that I wanted to have as much of the trunk available as possible, and to have full use of my spare tire. I also wanted whatever we did to be "non destructive" such that I could return the car to as purchased condition when I'm done with the lease. I had planned to then resell the custom enclosure when I no longer had a use for it.

They had recommended that we use the the space behind the left side removable panel where both the amp is currently mounted, and the spare tire pump is located. This would involve moving the existing amp (probably to where the tray is next to the spare tire), building up a fibreglass rear and side wall for the sealed enclosure, and then building out the rest in wood.

Does anyone have any opinions about this? I'm very inexperienced when it comes to custom sub enclosures.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That seems like quite a bit of work. If you trade the car in, you’re gonna have to pay for them to move the amp back to the original location, take out the customer enclosure, and re-install the kick panel. Initially, I had a shop recommend building a sub in the panel on the right side. I went ahead wit the prefab sub box, because it would be super easy to uninstall if I sold the car.
I’ve attached two pictures from another thread. The owner had a custom enclosure built where the removable tray was located. You could probably do something smaller wit just one sub in the same area. I like this option, because it can easily be pulled out when you sell the car. If you go this route, make sure the enclosure can be easily moved in case you need to access the battery.
The 2nd pic is from the same thread, different owner, who installed the amp for the sub to the left of the spare tire. This is a great location for installing the amp, because it doesn’t come at the expense of losing space for some other piece of equipment. The only caveat to this option, the Fosgate amp is about the only quality amp that will fit into this location.
Take Care,
Attached Images   
Old 04-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by revco2001
That seems like quite a bit of work. If you trade the car in, you’re gonna have to pay for them to move the amp back to the original location, take out the customer enclosure, and re-install the kick panel. ....

I’ve attached two pictures from another thread. The owner had a custom enclosure built where the removable tray was located. You could probably do something smaller wit just one sub in the same area. I like this option, because it can easily be pulled out when you sell the car. If you go this route, make sure the enclosure can be easily moved in case you need to access the battery.
Thanks for the tips. I had considered doing a similar setup in the floor of the trunk but I tend to keep a messy trunk (i.e.) and I was worried that anything I put on top of it would rattle all the time. Is this not much of a concern? I also use that tray a lot but could probably live without it if I had to.

I was quoted about $100 to switch the amp back to its original location and get the car back to manufacturers specs at the end of my lease which didn't seem like too high a cost.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am hoping to find some help. I have a new Audi A5 Sportback. I installed "professionally" not me.....a Rockford P2 sub with an Alpine Mono Class D amp and subwoofer processor. For some reason....And we cant figure it out... But about 20% of the time when I start the car...there is absolutely no bass signal going to the factory sub or the Rockford. I will not come on until I turn the car off and wait for a few minutes. It never ever cuts out while driving. It's only when I start the car. It's either on or off and it stays that way until I turn off the car. Any advice would be great.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Try again in the A5 forum. This is the older model Q5 forum.
And you might specify what radio system you have. AMI, MMI, upgrade, etc.

If it was professionally installed, go back and say "Takee Fixee" they should be the ones to fix it--or refund your money and undo the mess they may have cut into your wiring. Many "pro" chops just twist-n-tape the connections they make, and that's enough to make every connection intermittent.