Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 a car for.....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Lexus is by far the most feminine in the class, and the Q5 is by far the most masculine. It's really the only one that I didn't think WAS a chick car. Maybe many woman will buy it but it is by no means a chick car looks wise, like the Lexus RX or Benz GLK or Acura RDX.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks fitz, you provided me with a thoughtful response. I will check them out this weekend.....along with the q7!
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by lexusluver
thanks fitz, you provided me with a thoughtful response. I will check them out this weekend.....along with the q7!
You should check out the Q7 TDI. If they had the Q5 TDI when I bought, that's what I would have gotten.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

As someone said, the luxury compact SUV class is tilted toward women: the buyer wants to sit up high in an SUV, one that isn’t “too big”; they want to feel safe, but they also want to feel pampered. Now, whom does that describe . . . a man or a woman?

If you look at Audi’s advertising you’ll see that they are aiming the Q5 at women: one ad features a women lost in a parking garage full of Lexi. Another shows a man picking his son up from school amid many RXs, but this latter ad is counter-intuitive; women—not men--are most often the ones picking up their kids from school.

There are many ways to showcase a vehicle. The two ads I mention are very telling. As yet, Audi has no ads in the US showing the Q5 going off-road and tackling rough terrain. Isn’t that the hallmark of every SUV? Neither do we see any ads showcasing the vehicles utility: cargo space, roof rack, electrical ports, towing capacity. These are things one is inclined to associate with a male consumer, but Audi does not think they belong in their advertisements. Bragging about the power under the hood is also a common feature of ads targeting men. You’ll not see that in ads for the Q5. The reason for all of this is pretty obvious.

That said, I don’t care if it is a chick car. I like it: styling and handling are excellent (even better than the RX) and it is way a head of the X3, RDX, and GLK. Its real weakness is reliability; Audi simply does not have a good track record in this regard.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BayGBM
As someone said, the luxury compact SUV class is tilted toward women: the buyer wants to sit up high in an SUV, one that isn’t “too big”; they want to feel safe, but they also want to feel pampered. Now, whom does that describe . . . a man or a woman?

If you look at Audi’s advertising you’ll see that they are aiming the Q5 at women: one ad features a women lost in a parking garage full of Lexi. Another shows a man picking his son up from school amid many RXs, but this latter ad is counter-intuitive; women—not men--are most often the ones picking up their kids from school.

There are many ways to showcase a vehicle. The two ads I mention are very telling. As yet, Audi has no ads in the US showing the Q5 going off-road and tackling rough terrain. Isn’t that the hallmark of every SUV? Neither do we see any ads showcasing the vehicles utility: cargo space, roof rack, electrical ports, towing capacity. These are things one is inclined to associate with a male consumer, but Audi does not think they belong in their advertisements. Bragging about the power under the hood is also a common feature of ads targeting men. You’ll not see that in ads for the Q5. The reason for all of this is pretty obvious.

That said, I don’t care if it is a chick car. I like it: styling and handling are excellent (even better than the RX) and it is way a head of the X3, RDX, and GLK. Its real weakness is reliability; Audi simply does not have a good track record in this regard.
The basis for this SUV is to give you some utility with a sports car feel. Having been to the Audi Drive, they were all about showing off the handling of this car, not the off road capabilities. I don't think it was built with off road capabilities in mind. It was built with performance in mind. Who does that describe?
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FitzLA
The basis for this SUV is to give you some utility with a sports car feel. Having been to the Audi Drive, they were all about showing off the handling of this car, not the off road capabilities. I don't think it was built with off road capabilities in mind. It was built with performance in mind. Who does that describe?

I think you'll find your view is in the minority.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's too early - let's wait at list another 6 month.
Also we have European and Panamanian members here - guys - who is driver in Q5 in your country?
Old 05-21-2009, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't think so. This is a performance crossover, much like the FX. They said NOTHING about the off road capabilities at the Audi drive, and had us test the car around a closed course to test the performance and handling of the car. Yes, women will buy this car as well. But when it comes to men buying a crossover, more will buy this than most crossovers. It's not a pussyfoot little crossover.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Although my wife is the primary driver of the Q. I think the masculine lines on the car are evident. This would never be mistaken for a "chicks ride". In fact in black (which is the color I got) with all the windows tinted out, it looks down right menacing. Or take a look at Tony's S-Line that is pure sex, which is a good thing for a man
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought this car for me as a male. I am not sure why you would think they are targetting woman. Having read an article on the next 5 months ago, the article had mentioned they were targeting business males in there late 30s to early 40s.

Perhaps in North America it is viewed as a womans care, but in Europe the price is to high to be a second car in the household

Quick Reply: Q5 a car for.....?