Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 a car for.....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcasa
as a "girl" owner of a Q7 - I have to agree that the Q5 seems more feminine to me - from the perspective of a "softer" SUV - smaller than the 7 and competitive with the X3 ... but with that said, I'm sure Audi knew that the male audience was a given, and they were hoping to get some women on board with the size and styling - hence the "kids at school" ad ... both Q's are agressive vehicles and as others have said, very appealing to both sexes ... I bought the Q7 for its towing capacity - a feature seemingly lost on the Q5 and it was an upgrade from my allroad - thought I would never drive an SUV, especially a BIG one, but I have fallen completely in love with the beast!
Thanks for your perspective. I wish more women participated in online forums.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the range in the Q7? How many miles can you go on one tank of gas. If you could do one thing to improve the Q7 what would it be?
Old 05-21-2009, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven;t you seen this Audi ad (male driver)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rfa4qIt3-E
Old 05-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as a single male who is buying a Q5 let me chip into this conversation.

I have owned 2 door sports cars nearly my entire car owning life since I bought a used camaro at the age of 16. I will never feel happy driving any vehicle that does not handle a bit like a performance minded car.It is a reasonable option for me to own a sports coupe and get an old clunker pickup for the Utility stuff. But I really do not care to maintain 2 vehicles. So the solution for me is to find a single car that both has the performance and handling I am used to and has the utility I need. I am the IT Director of my company and sometimes I have to transport computer equipment to some of our client locations. Something that my 2 door sports coupe just cannot do. Not to mention the everyday life need as a homeowner that require me to occasionaly purchase and haul large items. For years I have asked favors of friends with trucks or SUVs to help me bring home larger items.

I know the Q5 is not the greatest for cargo hauling but with the rear seats down it is reasonable and is easily 5 times better then what I can carry now. Added to all of that is also the fact this will be my first "Luxury" class vehicle. I can afford it at this point in my life and the more I read about all the nice touches and finer points the more I want to own a luxury car, and this one in particular.

When I visit my dealer there is a S5 sitting in the show room right next to the Q5. It is all I can do to not get neck strain from resisting having my head turned by that beautiful coupe. But for all the reasons I stated above the Q5 is the better choice for me to make. The final reason for not even seriously considering a larger vehicle like a Q7 or others is I have a special circumstance with my vision. I am legally blind in one eye and I have what is called "Implied depth perception". I do not like the idea of driving a vehicle so large when I have less ability to judge my distance from objects then people with 2 good eyes do. Because I know my limitations my eye problem has never lead me to have a driving problem and I have a very clean record accident wise, so do not fear to be on the same road with me Now my love of sports coupes has gotten me a few speeding violations, just not any accidents
Old 05-22-2009, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BayGBM
Thanks for your perspective. I wish more women participated in online forums.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the range in the Q7? How many miles can you go on one tank of gas. If you could do one thing to improve the Q7 what would it be?

Thanks, I participate mainly on the allroad forum ... as for mileage range for the Q7 - since I still own all 3 Audi's - I limit driving the Q7 for highway only - usually getting 16.7 + miles to the gallon - which is roughly about 400+ miles to the tank - mine is the 4.2 V8 - so slightly less eficiency there - but a great highway ride! ... what would I change? ... I'm not crazy about the front grille, it looks too massive
Old 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default FITZ

I HAVE SERIOUS INSECURITY ISSUES!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default my 2 cents

Just my opinion here, but if you have serious issues owning a bright pink maza miata because it looks like a chick car, or is compared to a hot pink corvette, you have some serious insecurity issues.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why do we even care?
If you like it, get it.
Is it your buying point?

I probably have to wait out for 2010 when they iron out all first year model bugs before jumping in. Car gender is never on my list while shopping for car
Old 05-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

chick car...but I dig it. Think we will order a 2010 this july for the wifey....I'll have no problem driving it....
Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife has a chick car, an RDX, and I love to drive that thing, I just love the Turbo sound, whooosh.....

...after driving it I get in my G, turn the Traction Control off and start doing some burnouts, just to ge my Testosterone levels up....
Old 06-02-2009, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically, it's a chick car because it's smaller? What f*ing ever. I bought it because it's the perfect amount of utility for what I need, has a great AWD system for our weekend home in the mountains, better on gas mileage and looks more masculine than any other crossover. So basically, the argument is that any small crossover is a chick car? Smart.