Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 hesitation when moving from stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Yes it has and there is no button or control it is automatic. As you say it holds the brakes on after your foot is lifted (I think it is 2 seconds) So ease your foot on the brake first or dont slam it on the fast forward lever.
It is fantastic for those of us who live on a hill but mildly irritating sometimes on the flat.
PS never drive an Audi with left foot braking, you cant rev against brakes. The brain police are alerted and kill it for two seconds. Actually try it sometime when safe to do so ...jus for fun.
Thanks Justforfun for that info. I would imagine that the reason why the OP is experiencing hesitation when starting off. Do you know if there is a dash light when the hill start assist is on?
Old 03-08-2010, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't think the Q5 likes first gear in our transmssions. it wants to get to second right away to get better gas mileage.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can honestly say that I have never experienced anything like this, not even with the hill assist and I live in the hills. I'm a pretty agressive driver and the Q5 has a ton of pep off the line. Never any hesitation. I would suggest having them run a diagnostic. Maybe there is a fix for it.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I experience a hesitation when accelerating from a rolling stop (definately not a complete stop).
It sounds very similar to the OPs problem: hestitation when pressing accelerator for 1-3 seconds, but then take off 2nd gear kicks in. The hesitation is large enough that my wife thinks it's a problem and says her 2001 Ford Explorer was smoother

I've had my first service and Audi says all is normal. If it doesn't improve significantly by my next service I'm going to push for a more thorough investigation from the service manager.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nocash
I experience a hesitation when accelerating from a rolling stop (definately not a complete stop).
It sounds very similar to the OPs problem: hestitation when pressing accelerator for 1-3 seconds, but then take off 2nd gear kicks in. The hesitation is large enough that my wife thinks it's a problem and says her 2001 Ford Explorer was smoother

I've had my first service and Audi says all is normal. If it doesn't improve significantly by my next service I'm going to push for a more thorough investigation from the service manager.
If it's all normal, maybe I should take mine in and tell them mine is 'not' doing that and if it's "normal", they should fix it so that there is a hesitation. I hate it when they do that! It is NOT normal.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nocash

A lot of cars have this problem when coming to a rolling stop and then try to accelarate, it will hestitate a bit, some cars more than others. Its the transmission being in too high of a gear, it take a second or so to downshift and you feel a big surge. Most of the time its the learning transmssion causing this problem. If your wife baby the car, the tranny will tend to stay in higher gear longer to save gas. My advice is take your wife's car out for a fast run once a while, get the transmssion to learn a less conservative patter, you can also tell the wife to drive in the sport mode, it will keep the tranny in lower gear and ready for action.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not about being on a high gear. i've already tried it by using in manual mode (using shift paddles). while i'm driving with the 1st gear, i'm decreasing my speed and then making a full throttle, the engine begins to roar after a half second and it takes another 2 seconds to convert this roar into an action.

i know that there are some updates about the DSG and the engine right now. i'll visit the service when i have a time.

i talked with the service manager and he told me that it's like a microsoft windows, updates come out from time to time, there is nothing to worry

i think they should allow the end users to update their cars like they do to their windows.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by antaios
it's not about being on a high gear. i've already tried it by using in manual mode (using shift paddles). while i'm driving with the 1st gear, i'm decreasing my speed and then making a full throttle, the engine begins to roar after a half second and it takes another 2 seconds to convert this roar into an action.

i know that there are some updates about the DSG and the engine right now. i'll visit the service when i have a time.

i talked with the service manager and he told me that it's like a microsoft windows, updates come out from time to time, there is nothing to worry

i think they should allow the end users to update their cars like they do to their windows.
We not not lucky enough to have the DSG transmssion in the Q5 here in the US. Thats transmssion is whole different animal, most owners here in the US do not have much experience with it.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this is different from:
Judder at or as you stop
Stutter at 1st shift once moving.
Hill hold brake release.
Can you just confirm that you are NOT revving or driving against brakes?

I trust you have read all the prevoius threads about the stutter at 1 shift that goes away after the first month and you are aware that Audi are working on a flash (or maybe that was patch) for the Ecu to eliminate this problem completely. I dont know if it has been applied yet to new production but 2 cars I know of were bought back by Audi as the learning program went irrertrievably backwards. No amount of Tranny flashing or replacement parts could coerse the system back to its original setting. One was Ductman from this board/forum. The other was in LA (posted on a different forum).

So to be fair to everyone if you believe you have an entirely new issue could you just answer your own thread and confirm or deny some of the replies. Thanks.
BTW when did your car arrive and approx how many miles at issue?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The gearbox adapts to driver's driving style, so it's possible that a transmission reset will allieviate the problem some of you are having.

Quick Reply: Q5 hesitation when moving from stop