Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 hesitation when moving from stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
So this is different from:
Judder at or as you stop
Stutter at 1st shift once moving.
Hill hold brake release.
Can you just confirm that you are NOT revving or driving against brakes?

I trust you have read all the prevoius threads about the stutter at 1 shift that goes away after the first month and you are aware that Audi are working on a flash (or maybe that was patch) for the Ecu to eliminate this problem completely. I dont know if it has been applied yet to new production but 2 cars I know of were bought back by Audi as the learning program went irrertrievably backwards. No amount of Tranny flashing or replacement parts could coerse the system back to its original setting. One was Ductman from this board/forum. The other was in LA (posted on a different forum).

So to be fair to everyone if you believe you have an entirely new issue could you just answer your own thread and confirm or deny some of the replies. Thanks.
BTW when did your car arrive and approx how many miles at issue?
I am definitely not revving or driving against brakes.

The car arrived about 2 weeks ago from dock. I got the car at 25 miles...

So this issue is supposed to go away by itself?? I mean doesn't happen every single time but it happens once in a while and is pretty noticeable when it happens. At first I thought I had a heavy foot on the gas, but I really am not driving the car hard at all.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me for the first time a couple of days ago while merging into 70mph traffic from almost a dead stop. Just slightly rolling, no gas applied then I tromped on the gas (right to the mat) and there was a delay in the engine resopnse. Scared the crap out of me as traffic was moving along and the point i choose to merge in has closed due to the delay in pedal to engine conversation
Old 03-08-2010, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kron0s

So this issue is supposed to go away by itself?? I mean doesn't happen every single time but it happens once in a while and is pretty noticeable when it happens. At first I thought I had a heavy foot on the gas, but I really am not driving the car hard at all.
I had the same issue when I first got my Q5. From what I read on the forum it seemed common and that for most people the problem corrected itself after a few hundred miles. For me, the jerking went away after about 250 miles.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by koobah
The gearbox adapts to driver's driving style, so it's possible that a transmission reset will allieviate the problem some of you are having.
"the gearbox adapts to driver's driving style" !!???

i don't think so. i'm driving it for 3 moths and have seen nothing like that.
the gearbox have its 2 modes which are "sport" and "drive" and they have their fixed configuration. they are not being customized by driver's style.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by flybooey
Happened to me for the first time a couple of days ago while merging into 70mph traffic from almost a dead stop. Just slightly rolling, no gas applied then I tromped on the gas (right to the mat) and there was a delay in the engine resopnse. Scared the crap out of me as traffic was moving along and the point i choose to merge in has closed due to the delay in pedal to engine conversation
that happens to me very often. i see a spot to merge in in a heavy traffic but till the time engine pushes the car forward that spot closes.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

by the way, my car is at 9000km.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flybooey
That happens to a lot of car now a days. The delay is even more common and longer in Acura and lexus. The car is in a coasting to stop mode and it is try to conserve fuel. It is like waking up somebody when it is half asleep. For some reason, the delay is worst in some cars than others, even within the same model line. Down shifting and sport mode will help, the best thing to do is ease into the full accelaration and dont just put the pedal to the metal
Old 03-09-2010, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kron0s

I too am not doing any of these items:

Judder at or as you stop [I did have this problem several months ago, but it was fixed and has not returned (though perhaps this is all related?)]
Stutter at 1st shift once moving [no]
Hill hold brake release [no]
Can you just confirm that you are NOT revving or driving against brakes? [not at all]

I've had my Q5 for 6 months and am at 3,300 miles (yes, we don't put a lot of miles on our cars) and the issue has not gone away at all.

It's in today for it's 5k/6-month checkup, and I am having them look at the hesitation problem, along with a few other items (slight lurching at very low speeds such as when pulling into a tight parking space, delayed shifting on hard acceleration & the clicking noise just before the doors auto-lock).

Essentially, I am not that happy with the transmission. I'm hoping a 'reset' or 'recalibration' or something will make it all better... Once it gets going it's fantastic, but driving around town makes me crazy...

Will post again tonight after I pick it up from the dealer.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

antaios, thanks for the replies. I am slightly confused, is there a typo? you say it arrives two weeks ago and you have 9000 kms up already???
I am not doubting anytyhing you say I just want to record your issue for all to see in future. Thanks for any info you can post.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

HI, newbie here. I notice the hesitation on my week old Q5 and tought it's normal until I read this tread. I believe the hesitation comes from the AWD part of Q5 with a front and rear locking differential. This is just my opinion and hopefully Audi can tell us what's wrong with the hesitation instead of us wondering with this new features

Quick Reply: Q5 hesitation when moving from stop