Q5 Quattro 2.0T - Won't Start - Page 3 - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Quattro 2.0T - Won't Start

Reply

 
 
Old 11-13-2017, 07:09 AM
  #21
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by MurrayA4 View Post
Just want to add that it wouldn't be bad to kill your fuel supply, pull a fuse to the lift (rear) pump,you're still going to get shots of high pressure fuel because the high pressure pump is engine driven and will pump whatever is left in the line from the lift pump.No smoking.Come back with the values you pull for all 4 cylinders.
Thanks and will do.
Lohnes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:10 AM
  #22
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by jiggysmb View Post
What year is your Q5? Can you possibly post the manufacture date on the front engine sticker?

Im sorry to see this. It sounds like an A4 that I saw at a shop. It had the chain tensioner issue. I am praying our 2012 Q5 doesn't have this.
Ours is a 2012 also. Yes, can post the date a little later today.
Lohnes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:42 AM
  #23
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by Lohnes View Post
Ours is a 2012 also. Yes, can post the date a little later today.
That would be greatly appreciated. It seems some early 2012 Q5 engine manufactured have the same issued of the 2009-2011 engines. I have yet to find an engine manufactured before April 2012 that has the oil consumption or oldest chain tensioner. We just had our May 2012 engine check for chain tensioner at 50,000 miles and it was verified to be one of the revised parts. My thinking is they moved to a revised piston ring and chain tensioner around March/April 2012.
jiggysmb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:49 AM
  #24
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Greystoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: California
Posts: 913
Default

Originally Posted by jiggysmb
That would be greatly appreciated. It seems some early 2012 Q5 engine manufactured have the same issued of the 2009-2011 engines. I have yet to find an engine manufactured before April 2012 that has the oil consumption or oldest chain tensioner. We just had our May 2012 engine check for chain tensioner at 50,000 miles and it was verified to be one of the revised parts. My thinking is they moved to a revised piston ring and chain tensioner around March/April 2012.
I think it really depends on when your exact engine was manufactured. First into the final assembly location doesn’t necessarily mean first out when it comes to components. Especially if there becomes a hold on a particular option needed to complete the car.

Grey
Greystoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 PM
  #25
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 13
Default

Originally Posted by MurrayA4 View Post
Just want to add that it wouldn't be bad to kill your fuel supply, pull a fuse to the lift (rear) pump,you're still going to get shots of high pressure fuel because the high pressure pump is engine driven and will pump whatever is left in the line from the lift pump.No smoking.Come back with the values you pull for all 4 cylinders.
Did a compression test tonight and got zero psi readings from all spark wells. Pretty sure I was doing it right, made sure connection was tight etc. Spark plugs look bad, lots of oil and corrosion. Is it possible to have no compression at all from the engine?
Lohnes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:52 AM
  #26
AudiWorld Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Western Mass
Posts: 756
Default

Originally Posted by Lohnes View Post
Did a compression test tonight and got zero psi readings from all spark wells. Pretty sure I was doing it right, made sure connection was tight etc. Spark plugs look bad, lots of oil and corrosion. Is it possible to have no compression at all from the engine?
If the timing is out enough the valves are open when the piston comes up = no compression.
Check your tester on something easy to check like a lawn mower or snow blower to be sure its at least reading something.
rdA4WtQ5 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 AM
  #27
AudiWorld Super User
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: US PA
Posts: 4,875
Default

Originally Posted by Lohnes View Post
Did a compression test tonight and got zero psi readings from all spark wells. Pretty sure I was doing it right, made sure connection was tight etc. Spark plugs look bad, lots of oil and corrosion. Is it possible to have no compression at all from the engine?
Does this engine run? If so, you then have compression. If it doesn't run, then most likely tensioner failure.
Bob Petruska is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 05:23 PM
  #28
AudiWorld Member
 
MurrayA4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Quebec Canada
Posts: 494
Default

" Is it possible to have no compression at all from the engine? " No that doesn't add up.You need to try a second compression gauge.At least have someone crank her over.while you hold a finger over each spark plug hole.You'll be able to tell if there's compression.
MurrayA4 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
cchinny
Vehicles For Sale
0
11-05-2017 06:11 PM
Blodger
A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion
6
10-29-2017 09:18 AM
Jesse22
New Member Welcome Area
0
10-22-2017 07:57 PM
Chris2289
A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion
2
10-10-2017 11:34 AM
Chris2289
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
1
10-10-2017 11:23 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:35 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: