Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs X3 -quirky key decision

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q5 vs X3 -quirky key decision

I've spent the better part of a week going back and forth between the Q5 and the X3. I've been leaning towards the Q5.I currently have a 2010 A3 TDI, and want something a little less pokey. (Hey where is the A3 when I need it?)

Q5 pros: more comforable seats, quieter, nicer lines, adjustable arm rest, nicer wheels, closer dealer, $1000 loyalty, USAA pricing, 19" wheels

Q5 cons: no radio buttons, 4 spoke wheel, armrest covers cupholders, bad all weather mats, no start/stop 2.0

X3 pros: 3 spoke wheel, nicer dash and layout, radio buttons, more horsepower, better gas mileage?, faster 0-60, lighter, 4 year maintenance, made in USA, passenger lumbar, larger rear opening, weathertech mats, larger nav screen, $1000 holiday cash, USAA pricing, Spartenburg delivery

X3 cons: less attractive exterior, black body cladding, further dealer, run flat tires, 18" tires

But, crazy as it seems, my BIGGEST HATE of the Q5 is that I cannot just simply and quick change between the two or three radio stations I listen to. It seems crazy that this should be a deciding element, but unless I get some sense that is will not be a five step process, I feel I will spend years being frustrated over this simple item, and should go to the X3.

I expect I may get the 3.0 on both, but I felt that the 2.0 on the Q5 was MUCH quieter and smoother than the 2.0 on the X3. Am I way off base here?

Any thoughts on whether to NOT get the 3.0 on either?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

What is your timeline to purchase?

Since you have an A3 TDI, are you considering the Q5 TDI which is coming out next fall?

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/19/a...headed-for-us/

That is what I am waiting for personally.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you on the radio buttons..... it's not a very good setup on the Q5 along with the rest of the MMI, IMHO. I'm used to it now but I do remember it being one of my gripes about the Q5. The X3 is faster than the Q5 2.0T but I personally couldn't get past the looks of the X3. I really like the looks of the Q5. If speed is what you want, why not the 3.0T?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Watch what you wish for in terms of auto stop/start (***). It's a neat novelty that gets old really fast. I've had the default changed to last setting on my X1 because it just takes so much from the driving experience. EcoPro also affects driveability, but at least that has to be activated manually.

The $3,000 M Sport does eliminate the black cladding on the X3.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the sport interior on the Q5 and that will give you superior seats and a three-spoke steering wheel for $500.
Once you have the radio pre-sets set up you can use the left thumb wheel to change - that is the way I have it set up on the 2011 Q5.
You can do a delivery in Ingolstadt and get some additional discounts... something like 5% or 7%.
Maintenance for the first 48,000 miles on the Q5 cost some $800 IIRC.

Trust me, get the Q5. I bought a 2012 BMW 328 for my wife and there is no comparison on materials used, and fit and finish. Audi is far superior.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dsackman
You can do a delivery in Ingolstadt and get some additional discounts... something like 5% or 7%.
Audi ED is 3-5% (depends on model). Not sure what the Q5 specifically is, though. Good way to combine getting your car and a European vacation in at the same time.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lair12
But, crazy as it seems, my BIGGEST HATE of the Q5 is that I cannot just simply and quick change between the two or three radio stations I listen to. It seems crazy that this should be a deciding element, but unless I get some sense that is will not be a five step process, I feel I will spend years being frustrated over this simple item, and should go to the X3.
NO WAY anyone here changes stations more than the wife!

She set up her Q's presets so she can cycle thru all of them quickly...
by using the steering control button to bounce around....

(and FYI,presets can include am, fm, sirus, etc... in any order - any grouping)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lair12, we just went through the same decision making process as you. We took long hard looks at GLK, X3 and Q5. We use this vehicle for long trips and in the end went with the Q5 for many of the reason that you mentioned. Seat comfort for us, quiet interior (less engine noise and no run flats) and we preferred the ride/handling over the X3 which was in CLOSE 2nd place. My wife and I liked the exterior styling of the X3 as well as the Q5, but preferred the interior in the Q5.

It's a tough choice and each buyer has to decide what's besf for them. We had fun looking at all of the contenders.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am certainly considering the 3.0T Q5. Is there a noticeable amount of more power? Is is pretty smooth and quite.I'm having difficulty finding one to drive.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can't do the sport seats. My wife has a should issue and they are uncomfortable for her. Can you special order just the no cladding?

Quick Reply: Q5 vs X3 -quirky key decision