Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sunroof Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The squeaks/rattles over bumps were absolutely maddening for me too. I used a rubber re-hydrating gel which worked for a day or two. My last resort was wd40 before having the dealer address it during the 5k check. I applied wd40 to all rubber/foam parts that made contact with the panoramic glass and have not heard one squeak yet and its been months since the first application.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sunroof TSB

Don't recall where I got this, but thanks to whoever posted it originally.
Might help out some others new to this problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Noises from sunroof 2022733-2.pdf (937.8 KB, 7777 views)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have developed a very annoying rattle in my pan roof also. It is on a 2013 Q5 2.0 T with 17,000 km! Had it to dealer 3 times now but no fix yet. They have greased and lubed everything possible but in my mind since it is a rattle and not a squeak it is not a problem with rubber. They are now talking about replacing the frame. Anyone else had this problem and fix? So annoying on a 50k quality vehicle!
Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bruins fan
I have developed a very annoying rattle in my pan roof also. It is on a 2013 Q5 2.0 T with 17,000 km! Had it to dealer 3 times now but no fix yet. They have greased and lubed everything possible but in my mind since it is a rattle and not a squeak it is not a problem with rubber. They are now talking about replacing the frame. Anyone else had this problem and fix? So annoying on a 50k quality vehicle!
yes i did have that problem, I was at the dealer couple months ago and took the tech out for a test drive and the tech finally agreed that it was the problem with the frame after three visits. I got my car back couple days later and since then the noise is not there anymore. Nice and quiet. It's a tapping noise when going over bumps and when the roof is open a little, the noise is gone. It drove me nuts. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just an update and FYI I had the same issues with my 13 Q5, dealer was useless, I followed the above but before doing so I used q-tips to clean the tracks from front to back, even in the rear between the rubbers. Found a lot of dirt, small leaf pieces, etc. Lubed as per the instructions above with a paintbrush then I put seal conditioner on all roof seals (Zimol, not cheap, but very good). Been four weeks now and not a rattle, squeak, nothing. Take your time, clean thoroughly first, lube and condition. Worked for me.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi from Sweden!
Same rattle on my Q5 2014, but after a visit to the third (Audi certified) workshop they find and also solved the issue.
The told me it is a mod out for this:
The curtin goes on a slide on both sides, and the slides are mounted with some clips, but not thight enough. So they solution was to mount down almost the hole interior, both ciling and the sides of it and then put in some elastic foam between the clips and the slides. Viola!!! Then quiet as it schoud be.
The operation take about 2 days to make.

Br//Clas
Old 04-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all. Keep up the feedback, it all helps. Maybe Audi sound read these :-)
Old 04-18-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

My sunroof frame was replaced because of ratling. My dealier was really good about it, but I have to say that my dealer has been awesome so far.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had a rattle from the front passenger portion of my 2013 3.0T that was resolved when I brought it in for annual service with 4,700 miles in December. It wasn't constant, but it was persistent. TSB 2038029/1 was the fix. "These noises can be created by the points of contact between the sunroof cover trim frame and the clips that retain it to the headliner." It was a lengthy process in which they took out the cover and glass panels and applied fleece dampening tape. No further rattles. And that's from December to now, when 3 weeks ago when I traded it for a '15 3.0T. Ask your service people about this TSB if it hasn't already been tried. Good luck with your fix.

Last edited by S4forDC; 04-18-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4forDC
I had a rattle from the front passenger portion of my 2013 3.0T that was resolved when I brought it in for annual service with 4,700 miles in December. It wasn't constant, but it was persistent. TSB 2038029/1 was the fix. "These noises can be created by the points of contact between the sunroof cover trim frame and the clips that retain it to the headliner." It was a lengthy process in which they took out the cover and glass panels and applied fleece dampening tape. No further rattles. And that's from December to now, when 3 weeks ago when I traded it for a '15 3.0T. Ask your service people about this TSB if it hasn't already been tried. Good luck with your fix.
I got my frame replaced which it was quiet for about 6 months and now it's back. I will ask the service guy for the TSB when I bring mine in for steering noise next week. Just curious how much did u get for your 13 Q5 when u traded in? How many miles did u have on yours? Is it worth it to do the trade? Thanks

Quick Reply: Sunroof Rattle