Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Technical specifications - mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun

Do you know the size of that space?

Please go to the nearest Audi salon and see what you write about the space in A5 without shelf

Dude, lay off me. It's you who has a problem with Audi numbers, so you go and measure it yourself and then go complain to Audi that you think they made a big mistake. I couldn't care less.

I gave you a possible explanation. If you don't like it, just ignore it and wait for someone else to give you a better one.

I'm done here.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 02-12-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

You stuck to my post not on yours
You're asking me stupid explanations about the measures, this is are not my data , but the factories. The data of the Audi factory are recognized all over the world.
You are trying to justify the non-existence of a measure, but you have not given any answer.
Why are there differences in measurement for Q3 and Q5 / Q7. The shape of the car is the same.
You did not explain how A4, A6, A8 have less space in the luggage compartment

Last edited by spijun; 02-12-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

It is not a mistake. One volume is the boot space with the cover/separator installed. The other volume is with the cover/separator removed.
I believe they should publish both boot volumes, but each region uses one or the other, not sure why (maybe laws/regulations)

Prooven with the exercise in my previous post above. I am sure you will be happy with that explanation since it is mathematically proven.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-12-2018 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Proof that there are companies that respect factory data ( Mercedes USA)

19.5 cu-ft = 550 lit ( Seats up )
56.5 cu-ft = 1.600 lit ( rear Seats down )
Attached Thumbnails Technical specifications - mistake-screenshot039.jpg  

Last edited by spijun; 02-13-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If you add the optional (standard on the SQ5) Rear Bench Seat Plus Pack, you get sliding and reclining rear seats that, when slid all the way forward, increase boot space to 610 litres (from 550). That's among the biggest in the class

So it depends.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Proof that there are companies that respect factory data ( Mercedes USA)

19.5 cu-ft = 550 lit ( Seats up )
56.5 cu-ft = 1.600 lit ( rear Seats down )
You still don't get it. It's not a difference between seats up and seats down that we are discussing. It's a difference between seats up (below cargo cover) and seats up (floor to ceiling).

If you take your Mercedes GLC example, the 19.4 cu-ft value they show must be the max value (floor to ceiling) because they also show this: 17.6 cu-ft (seats up, below cargo cover):

At least MBUSA is nice enough to specify what that number means. Since Audi USA did not specify how they measured their cargo volume, we can only guess.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 02-13-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
You still don't get it. It's not a difference between seats up and seats down that we are discussing. It's a difference between seats up (below cargo cover) and seats up (floor to ceiling).

If you take your Mercedes GLC example, the 19.4 cu-ft value they show must be the max value (floor to ceiling) because they also show this: 17.6 cu-ft (seats up, below cargo cover):

At least MBUSA is nice enough to specify what that number means. Since Audi USA did not specify how they measured their cargo volume, we can only guess.
I know what you meant since I already gave you an answer previously. I added additional info on 550 increase to 610 liters as a general discussion on boot volume seats up with boot cover sepator installed in order to compare with GLC.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Go back and read what's written there:
Cargo volume (Manufacturer): 19,4

In the rest of the world, the luggage compartment is under the lid, which is 550 Lit

Who can measure it above the lid, who will put a suitcase here or something, so when you suddenly press the brake , opportunity to hurt the passengers in the back seat

The other thing is that if you put something up there, how will you have a look back ??? How to see in the rear-view mirror behind you ?

Last edited by spijun; 02-13-2018 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In the rest of the world, the luggage compartment is under the lid, which is 550 Lit

Who can measure it above the lid, who will put a suitcase here or something, so when you suddenly press the brake , opportunity to hurt the passengers in the back seat
Light items on top only. I always raise the 3 head rests a bit, in addition, for more protection, but I make sure there is an opening for rear view.

That space is usuful to me irrespective.. when I use the space I remove the boot separator from the Q5 in order to arrange items better in order to avoid what you are discussing.

Last edited by apoelistas; 02-13-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Go back and read what's written there:
Cargo volume (Manufacturer): 19,4
But it does not specify how that cargo volume was calculated. That is my point. Based on the other number I showed you (17.6), what do you make of this 19.4 number?

And I already explained to you that it's not always the same in the US. It's very poorly standardized in the US, which makes comparisons from one vehicle to another difficult for the buyer. It's crap, I agree.

Who can measure it above the lid,
Again, there are standards in the US that allow for this area to be measured and included in the overall calculation.

who will put a suitcase here or something, so when you suddenly press the brake , opportunity to hurt the passengers in the back seat
You don't have to put anything on that shelf. You can REMOVE the shelf and then place a tall object in the trunk that reaches from the floor to the ceiling. Just think of it as if the shelf was not there.

The other thing is that if you put something up there, how will you have a look back ??? How to see in the rear-view mirror behind you ?
Is it safe? Of course not. But that has nothing to do with the measurement regulations that we have in the US that allow this area to be included in the calculation.

If you drive a fully loaded pickup truck, you will not be able to see anything in your rear-view mirror either, yet it is allowed here.

Quick Reply: Technical specifications - mistake