Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mythdoc, I'm leaning the same way as you. Without a lucrative buyout, I plan to hang onto it at least through 120,000 miles. Only danger I see is that it looks like we're on the hook if the transmission craps out, but in general they seem pretty reliable...at least up to the 120k mi point. For a little insurance, I'll probably do a DIY tranny fluid swap as soon as the buyout option is kaput.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just spoke with someone at VW claims department. Final judge approval sign off is May 17. They will then set up a portal at the settlement website on June 1. Then we can sign up and "wait."

I'll just keep driving and enjoying the torque and mileage...
Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

The Judge already approved everything last Thursday May 11th, but he still has to sign off on it which is no later than the 17th.

If Your Honor approves the settlement, we have fewer cars to deal with, but we are still dealing with the 2-liter cars.
So there is about a 15-day period of time that we need to get the system set up to start accepting cases and start getting processed.
Page #33: http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelib...Transcript.pdf

Last edited by dreadlocks; 05-15-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the owner of a 335d, one of the FIRST production vehicles to include SCR, DEF and DPF, the only issues I've ever had with the car are emissions related including carbon build up due to the EGR. Mine is almost out of warranty, (July 2017) and once it is out of warranty, everything gets deleted and tuned, the car gets better mileage, more reliable AND MORE POWER!!!

That's what would happen to these as well if they are kept.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jumping back a couple of posts to the discussion of future diesel availability-
I read something on Road and Track the other day about it. Apparently, Audi and Porsche are still planning on offering the 3.0 now that the gen-3 has been approved. Honestly, a lot of the general public is fully unaware of the Dieselgate scandal, and many people don't associate Audi and Porsche with the VW brand. I'm happy with that news! BMW is still apparently continuing with diesels in the X5 and 5 series, and Mercedes is waffling back and forth. But Mazda is planning on offering diesel soon, and GM is offering it in the new smaller crossovers. All hope is not lost!
Old 05-16-2017, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 568 Likes on 450 Posts

Mercedes pulled Diesels out for 2017: No 2017 Mercedes diesels will be sold in the United States due to EPA compliance fears
Old 05-16-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jhumph88
Jumping back a couple of posts to the discussion of future diesel availability-
I read something on Road and Track the other day about it. Apparently, Audi and Porsche are still planning on offering the 3.0 now that the gen-3 has been approved. Honestly, a lot of the general public is fully unaware of the Dieselgate scandal, and many people don't associate Audi and Porsche with the VW brand. I'm happy with that news! BMW is still apparently continuing with diesels in the X5 and 5 series, and Mercedes is waffling back and forth. But Mazda is planning on offering diesel soon, and GM is offering it in the new smaller crossovers. All hope is not lost!
And there's Land Rover/Range Rover and Jaguar.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

IIRC, VWG corporate went on the record a few months ago declaring the effective death of diesel. Aside from Dieselgate, the French and English are seeing pollution that is so bad they are talking of banning the diesels, which produce the worst particulates, and that would kill the EU market for them. Now add that the German government has committed to very large rebates for electric vehicles under something like the $50,000 sales point (neatly cutting Tesla out) and all three German car makers have got outstanding incentives to commit to electric cars, which consumers embrace as "the car of the future" rather than something Rudolph Diesel built a century ago.

If the US agro-lobby keeps pushing for E85, well...it also becomes easier for gas stations to change their diesel nozzle to E85, than to install all new pumps islands and tanks.

Just saying.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only speak for one consumer but I wouldn't drive a free electric car if it was given to me. I couldn't care less what happens with electric golf carts. I'll be driving my Audi TDI.

The consumers who will embrace that car of the future will have to buy 10000 cars each to create even a slight demand.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 253 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
IIRC, VWG corporate went on the record a few months ago declaring the effective death of diesel. Aside from Dieselgate, the French and English are seeing pollution that is so bad they are talking of banning the diesels, which produce the worst particulates, and that would kill the EU market for them. Now add that the German government has committed to very large rebates for electric vehicles under something like the $50,000 sales point (neatly cutting Tesla out) and all three German car makers have got outstanding incentives to commit to electric cars, which consumers embrace as "the car of the future" rather than something Rudolph Diesel built a century ago.

If the US agro-lobby keeps pushing for E85, well...it also becomes easier for gas stations to change their diesel nozzle to E85, than to install all new pumps islands and tanks.

Just saying.

I read about the Chevy Bolt today. Cost about $10,000 more than a comparable internal combustion car ( after incentives). It would have to be driven over 200,000 miles for the fuel savings to make up that extra cost. Takes 9 hours to recharge on a home charger. You can get about 180 miles of charge at a recharging station in about an hour but that will cost you about $12.00 plus $.30 per minute . ( $ 30.00 for 180 miles ?). People do like to be progressive and it is cool to drive an electric car but I don't expect many to buy in unless forced to. ( Is that where we are headed?)

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs