Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

"transmission takes longer or a firmer push on the accelerator to get a downshift"
Sounds like esentially the same programming difference that is between "D" and "S" normally. You keep the engine in higher gear longer, and it gets better economy but less acceleration. A fairly obvious way to compensate for emissions controls that have caused a less economical engine. Pretty much every engine ECU, in every car, is programmed for clean emissions at the expense of max power. Along with other compromises for durability, etc. These newfangled automatics with dual-shift choices are simply saying "you can choose shift points A or B" when really, they could allow the owner to set their own preferences. Instead they try to "learn" adaptively.
Not surprising if that's all part of what they did.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts

Personally, I won’t mind if it holds a higher gear and requires more throttle to cause a downshift. In most driving I prefer to just” torque away” rather than downshift and “ wind away” As long as the downshift can be accessed by pressing throttle deeper. I have only driven our new to us 2015 a bit and we are out of town now. When I get back I will drive them back to back and report differences.

For what it is worth we drove the 2011 nearly 700 miles today to Fort Worth. Cruise set at 79 mph most of the way. ( I averaged 73 mph with stops! ) Display shows 26.5 mpg for the trip. This in 35 — 40 degrees most of the way. That is going to be hard to match. It will get 30 mpg at < 70 mph in warmer temps with summer fuel.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 02-05-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:59 AM
bpp
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Personally, I won’t mind if it holds a higher gear and requires more throttle to cause a downshift. In most driving I prefer to just” torque away” rather than downshift and “ wind away” As long as the downshift can be accessed by pressing throttle deeper. I have only driven our new to us 2015 a bit and we are out of town now. When I get back I will drive them back to back and report differences.

For what it is worth we drove the 2011 nearly 700 miles today to Fort Worth. Cruise set at 79 mph most of the way. ( I averaged 73 mph with stops! ) Display shows 26.5 mpg for the trip. This in 35 — 40 degrees most of the way. That is going to be hard to match. It will get 30 mpg at < 70 mph in warmer temps with summer fuel.
Clarifying what's happening to the shift points post-fix is the tranny is holding the 1-2-3-4-5.... upshifts longer, bringing higher rpms into the picture and ultimately decreasing the fuel mileage. We no longer are 'driving torque' as before. It feels similar to 'S' or Sport mode and opposite of what you have described. The cycle is holding a numerical lower gear, longer.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
Clarifying what's happening to the shift points post-fix is the tranny is holding the 1-2-3-4-5.... upshifts longer, bringing higher rpms into the picture and ultimately decreasing the fuel mileage. We no longer are 'driving torque' as before. It feels similar to 'S' or Sport mode and opposite of what you have described. The cycle is holding a numerical lower gear, longer.
That makes more sense. I was confused in the way I interpreted the earlier post. I noticed a bit of this in our 2015 when I drove it briefly. I’ll report back as I compare the two. It did not seem too objectionable on first impression. Still — I prefer “ torque driving”. It is what I like about my manual trans S5. I never exceed 4000 rpm in it unless I’m really in a hurry. I can use all the throttle at low to medium rpm without having a downshift occur. Well. There are other things I like about a manual too. But—- I’m a dinosaur.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first tank refill only result 27.3MPG.
My all time average is 28.97MPG.
That is 1.67MPG deduction. :-(
Old 02-06-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

All time average is going to be with summer and winter fuel combined? because winter diesel is expected to get worse fuel economy.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
All time average is going to be with summer and winter fuel combined? because winter diesel is expected to get worse fuel economy.
Agreed. That decline sounds in line with what was put in writing.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by bpp
To clarify: the mpg hit is not during acceleration, because the 3.0 liter TDI’s torque and horsepower efficiency is just entering its sweet spot at 1900 rpm. But when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, and have no *clutch* pedal to depress, and your engine stays coupled with the wheels, that’s when your mpg suffers!

In manual transmission TDI’s it has been proven that the best mileage is obtained through a “mash the accelerator, coast whenever possible” formula.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
To clarify: the mpg hit is not during acceleration, because the 3.0 liter TDI’s torque and horsepower efficiency is just entering its sweet spot at 1900 rpm. But when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, and have no *clutch* pedal to depress, and your engine stays coupled with the wheels, that’s when your mpg suffers!

In manual transmission TDI’s it has been proven that the best mileage is obtained through a “mash the accelerator, coast whenever possible” formula.
That sounds exactly like hypermiling in a Prius.

Grey
Old 02-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. So with the fixes in motion, what are the release prices of the 2016 Q5 TDI. I have read a few articles on the discounts, but nothing concrete. Anyone have any links to audi releases regarding the discounts given for these previously held TDI stock?

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs