Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully the judge put a deadline on the fix to be approved for the gen 2 or else buyback should start immediately, since two previous fixes were already denied for the 3.0. The gen 2 should also get more in compensation for taking a risk of losing future resale value if a fix is to be approved...
Old 12-20-2016, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Don't hold your breath. If he was going to hold their feet to the fire, he'd have done so already. It's going to be a while.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

+1 I am glad I was not looking and/or needing to replace my car anytime soon as this is most likely going to take some time to get settled. I for one am not going to be first in line for the "fix". I will patiently wait for others to go first and post what their opinion is.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

^ IMO there isn't a fix possible. If there were it would have revealed itself already. Seems like VW is kicking the buyback down the road for some reason.

What are your thoughts, MP4?
Old 12-20-2016, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

What makes anyone think they'd get a check before the fix is performed? I'd expect it to follow the 2L protocol which means more delays potentially

i thought I read CARB approved a 3L fix for our gen 2 already? Maybe I'm wrong

looks like we got screwed vs the 2L customers 👿

Last edited by rbradleysd; 12-20-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
What makes anyone think they'd get a check before the fix is performed? I'd expect it to follow the 2L protocol which means more delays potentially

i thought I read CARB approved a 3L fix for our gen 2 already?
There is no fix for Gen 2. Scroll up.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Deckardk
There is no fix for Gen 2. Scroll up.
looks like we got the short end of the stick as the 2L customers get to turn their car in or wait for a fix. We get a chair to wait for a fix that may never come
Old 12-20-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

The longer they stall, the more miles we put on, the less our check could be, if buy back is an option. I don't like it haha
Old 12-20-2016, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Deckardk
Actually those with gen 2 are still still going to be left in a holding pattern for what will probably be a good while. Late next year??

The relevant part: "... so-called Generation 2 engines to bring them into compliance with the emissions standards to which they were certified, if appropriate modifications are approved by EPA and CARB. If Volkswagen is unable to meet this requirement, it will offer to buy back or terminate the leases of these vehicles and may also seek approval by EPA and CARB to offer customers a modification to substantially reduce their nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions."

Meaning there isn't really an agreement on these. VW still has to come up with a solution that the EPA will agree to. Maybe a buy back, maybe not...

Unfortunately we're all going to be waiting. And waiting...
Well, that's the same status of the 2.0 settlement as well. If one was selecting the fix, they are still in a holding pattern. For me, my Passat and Jetta go back next week. Glad to get rid of the Jetta, as it has a number of expensive issues that need to be addressed, but I'm going to miss my Passat. However, I'm more than satisfied with my current Q5 to tide me over until I can get either a diesel or hybrid CUV/SUV. I'm sure something worthwhile will be available in the next couple of years.
Old 12-20-2016, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djgainsbond
The longer they stall, the more miles we put on, the less our check could be, if buy back is an option. I don't like it haha
That's not true. The 2.0L settlement is based on NADA clean trade-in value just prior to the emissions announcement in September 2015. The 3.0 L TDI settlement will almost certainly be based on value just prior to announcement that the 3.0L TDI is also included - whenever that occurred.

No fix has yet been approved but 2.0 TDI buy backs are being conducted now. The settlement as approved by the federal district judge provides that current owners have until September 2018 to sell their cars back at exactly the same amount offered today. It is understood that owners can continue driving their cars 12,500 miles/year with no reduction in buy back pay out.

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs