Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayA4
Mark P, excuse me while I wipe up the drool.I've always loved the A7 and with the 3.0L Tdi - wow.Your talking an extremely pleasant open road cruise.Lucky man !
Thanks! Very excited for the mix of stuff this vehicle brings. I think it will be perfect for the long cruise with massive 700+ mile range. And even the Audi brochure list the A7 TDI as 0-60 5.5s, one whole second faster than Q5 TDI at 6.5s. I'm not sure I fully believe that much difference, but it's cool to read. Of course, I'll do my own tests The taller gearing may save one shift to 60, which might make that seem greater difference right there, but less difference overall.

Here's some logging I did of Q5 TDI (blues) vs Q5 3.0T (reds). The green (quickest) line is Q5 TDI with brake-torque launch control.

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/q5/mi..._vs_30t_0-100/
Old 03-12-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Conclusion

After monitoring and occasionally scanning this thread and after reading what was sent to us by VW/Audi and Boesch, it seems to me we can wait to enroll/signup for this settlement until Dec of 2019. Waiting will not lower any of the payments/options. The big advantage of signing up now is possibly getting some portion of the payment now or soon. The big advantage of waiting until 2019 (in my opinion with limited information) is that I may be able to learn some of the results of the "fix" prior to having it done to my Q5 (performance, adblue usage, etc.). Is my conclusion close to accurate, what am I missing? Thks, Ed
Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by edsea
After monitoring and occasionally scanning this thread and after reading what was sent to us by VW/Audi and Boesch, it seems to me we can wait to enroll/signup for this settlement until Dec of 2019. Waiting will not lower any of the payments/options. The big advantage of signing up now is possibly getting some portion of the payment now or soon. The big advantage of waiting until 2019 (in my opinion with limited information) is that I may be able to learn some of the results of the "fix" prior to having it done to my Q5 (performance, adblue usage, etc.). Is my conclusion close to accurate, what am I missing? Thks, Ed
Signing up now doesn't obligate you to have your car repaired. You will get partial payment up front if you are registered, the remainder when the fix is completed. If you don't like what you're hearing about the effects of the repair, you can simply refuse to have it fixed - assuming your state allows you to, that is. There is also the question of what happens to un-repaired models at trade-in time. Unless you intend to opt-out, I see no reason to wait.

Last edited by HotRodW; 03-12-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

The potential reason if I understand this (big if), is that if I sign up now they might schedule my fix in Nov of 2017 (or whenever assuming they have an approved fix) and this might be prior to having field data on the fix (maybe from this forum). By waiting I might be buying some usage time on the fix by others so I can get some real data. That is the way is seems to me but not sure as I have not read all the details on the websites.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The potential reason if I understand this (big if), is that if I sign up now they might schedule my fix in Nov of 2017 (or whenever assuming they have an approved fix) and this might be prior to having field data on the fix (maybe from this forum). By waiting I might be buying some usage time on the fix by others so I can get some real data. That is the way is seems to me but not sure as I have not read all the details on the websites.
I doubt they will schedule your fix without your concurrence. I would imagine it would be the same as a recall. They send you a notice and ask you to contact your dealer to schedule the appointment. No reason you have to do so immediately.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suppose Audi could "schedule" your car for the modification but unless you take it to a dealer and allow the modification nothing will happen.

I've signed up and plan to accept the first half of the compensation whenever offered but as of now I'm not likely to allow the modification. I'll wait and read opinions from those who have the mod done but allowing a software reflash or equipment addition that reduces performance or economy is not worth the offered payment.

Car owners pay large sums of money to increase hp, torque, and fuel economy all the time. It makes no sense to give up any of the three for a payment.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes HBarlow I share your perspective on this.I will gladly accept the initial offering but after that they'll have to clearly demonstrate to me that performance, efficiency and reliability are not negatively impacted - they will be to some extent, that's pretty much a given.
At that point I'll evaluate the $$ and extended warranty and make a decision.In the meantime I'm driving a great machine that's cheap to operate and maintain so I'm a happy camper.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

There is going to be a lot of pressure on those owners whose new vehicle warranty has expired to have another warranty. There is now a "bridge warranty" that will expire when the fix is approved by EPA / CARB. You then have to get the fix installed right away to get the desired "comprehensive extended emissions warranty".

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 03-13-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I like the way all of you think. However, VW is under the gun to get some large percentage of the TDI's off the road or modified. If I was running the VW/Audi side of this I would require anyone cashing that first check to commit to install the fix and then use the number of agreements to show the EPA the percentage achieved (or projected). Enforcement of allowing the change to be put on our Q5's is another hurdle. But for cars under warranty, Audi has some leverage. I am still concerned that payment is viewed as a commitment by Audi and that is why the Dec 2019 date remains on the table. This is based on speculation, I still have not read all the boiler plate in the docs.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the way all of you think. However, VW is under the gun to get some large percentage of the TDI's off the road or modified. If I was running the VW/Audi side of this I would require anyone cashing that first check to commit to install the fix and then use the number of agreements to show the EPA the percentage achieved (or projected). Enforcement of allowing the change to be put on our Q5's is another hurdle. But for cars under warranty, Audi has some leverage. I am still concerned that payment is viewed as a commitment by Audi and that is why the Dec 2019 date remains on the table. This is based on speculation, I still have not read all the boiler plate in the docs.
Perhaps you should read the information that has already been released. Assuming the federal judge signs the settlement as is which has been agreed to by all parties there is no obligation to have the modification performed after receiving the initial partial payment.

VWAG had to meet an 80% compliance rate with VW 2.0 TDIs if my memory is accurate.

Last edited by HBarlow; 03-13-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs