Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2021 Q5e Center Console Removal - what next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 11:36 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

Received 573 Likes on 376 Posts
Default 2021 Q5e Center Console Removal - what next?

I have seen instructions for removing the center console but they all are for the pre-facelift where the MMI wheel is still present. I have the version with the center storage bin and I have so far removed the shifter **** screw and the outside trim that includes the volume button and I have this:

What pops next? Do I pop the piano black trim which does not seem right or do I have to remove the side leather trims first to pop a larger tray? I'm trying to get underneath the blank button next to the parking brake button.

I'm thinking the instructions would be the same to replace the storage bin but I can't find any recent video anywhere.
Old 05-14-2022, 12:55 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

I may be one step closer, maybe not.

The piano black trim did pop out. Now does the center trim (A) surrounding the remaining buttons pop out or is it part of a bigger tray (B). I'm trying hard not to break anything.
Old 05-14-2022, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

MH62 - I know absolutely nothing about removing the console, but I noticed you appear to have a cushion in the passenger seat. My wife had one there but it caused the passenger airbag to not activate. You might want to check if yours is the same.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:25 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by GeriatricSQ5Guy
MH62 - I know absolutely nothing about removing the console, but I noticed you appear to have a cushion in the passenger seat. My wife had one there but it caused the passenger airbag to not activate. You might want to check if yours is the same.
No cushion here. These are the Sports Plus package seats with Dinamica inserts (aka Alcantara aka fake suede). Great in the cold winter, even better in the hot summer.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm curious as to why you're removing the center console.
Old 05-14-2022, 04:52 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by adam e
I'm curious as to why you're removing the center console.
I need to remove the blank switch to install the Auto Hold switch. I have it in my S5 and my wife wants it in her Q5. We call it the drive-through feature, it's pretty much the only time we use it.
Old 05-14-2022, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by MH62
No cushion here. These are the Sports Plus package seats with Dinamica inserts (aka Alcantara aka fake suede). Great in the cold winter, even better in the hot summer.
Ah, OK. Mine are leather (or probably fake leather in some areas) all over, with diamond contrast stitching.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:38 AM
Permanent S Mode Member

I conquered my fears and if anyone in the future needs to know, the hole tray (B) pops up.

To route the cable, there is one screw towards the front that needs to be removed to loosen up the side leather trim.

And that's how it looks when it's all done.

No more keeping the foot on the brake pedal during long waits at the drive-though. And unlike using the parking brake, the rear brake lights stay on. A tap on the gas pedal and we're moving again.
The following users liked this post:
sQ5Atlanta (05-16-2022)
Old 03-26-2023, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very helpful photos.

I want to replace the piano black plastic part as it scratches too easily. Perhaps a silly question: Is it the case that one has to remove the side trim first (as you did) to be able to pop out the piano black piece?
Old 03-26-2023, 07:27 PM
Permanent S Mode Member

Originally Posted by Sailor21662
Very helpful photos.

I want to replace the piano black plastic part as it scratches too easily. Perhaps a silly question: Is it the case that one has to remove the side trim first (as you did) to be able to pop out the piano black piece?
Do you mean the aluminium trim? If so, yes. The side leather trims did not have to be removed to get the piano black of.

Quick Reply: 2021 Q5e Center Console Removal - what next?