Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Enable SiriusXM Traffic after Audi Connect Expires

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Right. I think the Sirius traffic is just as "good" as INRIX.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly off topic, but perhaps somewhat related:

For CarPlay users, note that next IOS version, due this fall, will allow more Apps into CarPlay, including WAZE. So for those that aren't into coding their Audi, there is another option for Traffic. Of course its only as good as the "Waxers' around you, but something.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got my 2018 SQ5 (US Model) working with SiriusXM Traffic, used ODBEleven and per directions from earlier post, changed the fee based traffic information (TMC) from 65533 to 34305. I already had a Sirius subscription set up for the car, but the traffic subscription was not an option for me to add online myself. I just established a chat session with an agent, they added it for me and never questioned compatibility or why i was doing it. A few minutes later it showed up on my account, took a few minutes for them to refresh the Sirius signal, update message appeared on radio. Awhile longer before the traffic messages appeared.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ejn_audi
I got my 2018 SQ5 (US Model) working with SiriusXM Traffic, used ODBEleven and per directions from earlier post, changed the fee based traffic information (TMC) from 65533 to 34305. I already had a Sirius subscription set up for the car, but the traffic subscription was not an option for me to add online myself. I just established a chat session with an agent, they added it for me and never questioned compatibility or why i was doing it. A few minutes later it showed up on my account, took a few minutes for them to refresh the Sirius signal, update message appeared on radio. Awhile longer before the traffic messages appeared.
Hi. Where exactly does the traffic appear? I have a 218 Q7, so I realize it's not the same, but I did find the code through OBDeleven, and it was the same as the Q5, so I thought maybe it would be the same for the Q7. If it does work for you, where does traffic actually appear? At first Sirius didn't want to do it, and maybe I haven't waited long enough (20 minutes), but so far, no dice. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

From the map, open the left drawer. Then there will be a list Map, Destination Input, Traffic Messages, Route List and POI along route. The traffic doesn't load instantaneously. When I put in a destination, there seems to be a delay before traffic is noted. I went online and sent the refresh signal myself even though they supposedly sent the signal. I think the navigation system needs to reinitialize. I think it needs a clean signal, I initially did it while in the garage because I needed a wifi signal to operate my android odbeleven software. It reset when I pulled outside in the open.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dylanQ
Hi. Where exactly does the traffic appear? I have a 218 Q7, so I realize it's not the same, but I did find the code through OBDeleven, and it was the same as the Q5, so I thought maybe it would be the same for the Q7. If it does work for you, where does traffic actually appear? At first Sirius didn't want to do it, and maybe I haven't waited long enough (20 minutes), but so far, no dice. Thanks.
From the map, open the left drawer. Then there will be a list Map, Destination Input, Traffic Messages, Route List and POI along route. The traffic doesn't load instantaneously. When I put in a destination, there seems to be a delay before traffic is noted. I went online and sent the refresh signal myself even though they supposedly sent the signal. I think the navigation system needs to reinitialize. I think it needs a clean signal, I initially did it while in the garage because I needed a wifi signal to operate my android odbeleven software. It reset when I pulled outside in the open.

One more thing to check, when you go online make sure the traffic subscription has actually been added to your account. I couldn't do that myself because technically it's not an option for this model. The agent on the chat session added the service and that took quite awhile to show up. When it did, I then initiated a refresh signal for good measure. If it's not showing up on your account, that might explain why it isn't working.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Success!

Originally Posted by ejn_audi

One more thing to check, when you go online make sure the traffic subscription has actually been added to your account. I couldn't do that myself because technically it's not an option for this model. The agent on the chat session added the service and that took quite awhile to show up. When it did, I then initiated a refresh signal for good measure. If it's not showing up on your account, that might explain why it isn't working.
Thanks. Works now! I will post in the Q7 forum as well, as the coding is the same.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Another confirmation in getting sirius XM traffic to work using the posted instructions with OBDEleven on a US based Q5. Just completed the setup an hour ago. The key for me is to use online chat with siriusxm customer service rep instead of calling them, much easier. Initially the online representative kept saying my car is not compatible and refused to help. But after I asked the rep to ask for a supervisor and saying I am willing to pay in advance for the service, suddenly the rep put me on hold and a nice floor supervisor helped me setup everything in couple minutes for $4 a month. And I don’t have to prepay anything and the supervior also waived the radio reactivation fee. After the chat was over, the sirius xm traffic plan showed up on my online account and I manually resent a refresh signal again using their online website. I waited for another 10 minutes and my car then started to receive traffic messages. Even though I missed google map a bit, which I will get over it soon, but just having traffic on the nav let me continue to use the built in nav instead of plugging in my phone everytime for a fraction of what Audi wants to charge.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wanted to add my success story. 2018 Q5 Premium Plus.

Followed the OP's instructions and used the online chat with SiriusXM. Below is a portion of my exchange for those that may want to see how it transpired:

Zack (18:02:09 GMT) : I have checked the information for you.
Zack (18:02:40 GMT) : I see that the radio is not capable NavTraffic.
Me(18:03:30 GMT) : Could you please ask the supervisor?
Zack (18:03:55 GMT) : Sure, Please give me a minute.
Me (18:04:31 GMT) : OK
Zack (18:05:24 GMT) : Thank you.
Zack (18:08:00 GMT) : Thank you for staying online, we appreciate your patience.
Zack (18:08:06 GMT) : I have checked that for you.
Zack (18:08:39 GMT) : I see that the radio is not compatible with the NavTraffic services.
Zack (18:08:59 GMT) : I cannot gaurantee that the services will work on the radio.
Zack (18:09:14 GMT) : However, if you still want to add, I can help you with that.
Zack (18:09:21 GMT) : Is that okay with you?
Me (18:09:31 GMT) : Understood and yes, I would still like to add it.
Zack (18:10:05 GMT) : A supervisor is needed to process your request, please give me a moment while I get a supervisor. Thank you for your patience
Me (18:10:13 GMT) : OK
Zack (18:11:17 GMT) : I am sorry, Please allow me a minute to add the services for you.

They went ahead and activated it, I confirmed it on my account, sent the refresh signal, did the MMI reset, and about a minute later, green lines showing up on the freeways!

Thank you to all who found the code and the others that offered up the instructions to do this. Now to move on to other coding!
Old 08-28-2018, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HGordin
Slightly off topic, but perhaps somewhat related:

For CarPlay users, note that next IOS version, due this fall, will allow more Apps into CarPlay, including WAZE. So for those that aren't into coding their Audi, there is another option for Traffic. Of course its only as good as the "Waxers' around you, but something.
I still enable WAZE on my phone even with the nav in the Q5 because waze also shows police noted by others along the way, this has saved me tickets more than once. I would prefer waze was integrated into the Nav in the Audi.

Quick Reply: Enable SiriusXM Traffic after Audi Connect Expires