Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

My brand new 2018 SQ5 - In SHOP more than on the road so far!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffreyTT
Use social media. Shame them in the Audi FB/Twitter feeds. Something like "Why has my new Audi with 200 miles on it in the shop for 30 days - and Audi won't replace it" and with that picture of it apart in the dealer's shop. Nothing motivates more than a non-confrontational post to a social feed to generate a response.

When people return TV's because there is a couple of bad pixels, you're far past the reasonable point where Audi should replace the vehicle.

I would also email
Jamie Dennis
Senior Vice President, Product Quality, Technical Service and After Sales

Here is his LinkedIn
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamie-dennis-67b263114/

And his email should be: Jamie.Dennis@audiusa.com
Awesome advice! Thank you!!

Last edited by GC500; 11-21-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

A little salt in my wound... I got my license plates yesterday. Guess I'll shove those in a drawer. Notice the message for new car owners on the left.
The following users liked this post:
Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AOA (and your selling dealership) are doing themselves much more harm than good by not giving you a new vehicle at this point. If even one potential customer reading this was turned off enough not to become “an Audi buying family”, they lose. I love my A4 (so far), but reading this nightmare tail certainly got me thinking about brand loyalty.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and hope you get your car back soon!

Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GC500

A little salt in my wound... I got my license plates yesterday. Guess I'll shove those in a drawer. Notice the message for new car owners on the left.
Originally Posted by Ojai
AOA (and your selling dealership) are doing themselves much more harm than good by not giving you a new vehicle at this point. If even one potential customer reading this was turned off enough not to become “an Audi buying family”, they lose. I love my A4 (so far), but reading this nightmare tail certainly got me thinking about brand loyalty.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and hope you get your car back soon!

Funny (more like ironic) you say that! I have been researching (for some time now) the SQ5, BMW X3 M40i, and Lexus RX (albeit a lot less fun, but drawn to it as a current Lexus owner whose dealership and current vehicle have been exemplary); test drove the X3 yesterday and felt it was too cramped and the interior isn't as nice, so I went to test drive the SQ5 again immediately after the X3. The SQ5 just felt "right" with the air suspension, B&O audio, virtual cockpit, etc....then I discovered this thread. While it's likely that the issue with the OP's (who sounds very reasonable IMO) vehicle is an outlier, but the lack of timely response from AoA and even the likely isolated issue with the vehicle are both definitely not confidence inspiring. I had an Acura a few years ago with an issue that eventually resulted in a TSB; but as an early customer with the issue at the time, Acura/Honda refused to do anything until a lot more owners with the issue showed up at dealerships. Given that experience and personally, I would not go back to Acura. While I'm not saying no to the SQ5 because the vehicle test drove well and has generally received good reviews, as the old saying goes "once bitten, twice shy".

Best of luck GC500 with your vehicle and happy holidays!
Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,068 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Young'n
Funny (more like ironic) you say that! I have been researching (for some time now) the SQ5, BMW X3 M40i, and Lexus RX (albeit a lot less fun, but drawn to it as a current Lexus owner whose dealership and current vehicle have been exemplary); test drove the X3 yesterday and felt it was too cramped and the interior isn't as nice, so I went to test drive the SQ5 again immediately after the X3. The SQ5 just felt "right" with the air suspension, B&O audio, virtual cockpit, etc....then I discovered this thread. While it's likely that the issue with the OP's (who sounds very reasonable IMO) vehicle is an outlier, but the lack of timely response from AoA and even the likely isolated issue with the vehicle are both definitely not confidence inspiring. I had an Acura a few years ago with an issue that eventually resulted in a TSB; but as an early customer with the issue at the time, Acura/Honda refused to do anything until a lot more owners with the issue showed up at dealerships. Given that experience and personally, I would not go back to Acura. While I'm not saying no to the SQ5 because the vehicle test drove well and has generally received good reviews, as the old saying goes "once bitten, twice shy".

I honestly would say give it a couple more years. The engine, while not unique to the SQ5 is a brand new engine developed by Audi. It needs a few years to work out the kinks. I have a hunch that the next proposed step by Audi in this saga will be replacing the engine completely since they can't figure out what's going on. Wouldn't be a first.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 132 Likes on 99 Posts

Check the reliability surveys from Consumer Reports, J.D.Power and KBB. Audi scores very high, and the Q5/SQ5 scores at the top of the Audi brand. This is not to in any way lessen the horrific experiences of some of the posters. But I have to think their experiences are the outliers. And no I would not want to be any of those folks. And yes, they have a right to be annoyed, aggravated, disgusted or any other adjective. But at the end of the day, their experiences are the exception.
There is not a brand that does not have horror stories which are either dealer or manufacturer induced. I would advise you to look at reliability surveys to get an overview or probability, if you will, of a successful auto. Then check around to see what the specific dealership you choose has to offer in the way of reputation.
Anyway, good luck and happy motoring with whatever you choose.
Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronsal
Check the reliability surveys from Consumer Reports, J.D.Power and KBB. Audi scores very high, and the Q5/SQ5 scores at the top of the Audi brand. This is not to in any way lessen the horrific experiences of some of the posters. But I have to think their experiences are the outliers. And no I would not want to be any of those folks. And yes, they have a right to be annoyed, aggravated, disgusted or any other adjective. But at the end of the day, their experiences are the exception.
There is not a brand that does not have horror stories which are either dealer or manufacturer induced. I would advise you to look at reliability surveys to get an overview or probability, if you will, of a successful auto. Then check around to see what the specific dealership you choose has to offer in the way of reputation.
Anyway, good luck and happy motoring with whatever you choose.
Well written. Feel bad for OP (I posted as much up thread).
But these unfortunate experiences aren't isolated to one brand. Visit any active forum and you're likely to find a thread. My coworker and friend recently went through a contentious battle with a relatively "unresponsive" Toyota Motor NA (along with our local dealership) when his Highlander's transmission failed with only 2500 miles on the Odo.

Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't want to hijack this thread, but your experience with test driving the SQ5 mirrors mine. So I took the plunge last week and ordered a 2019. I felt the same about the X3 M40i, which was my second choice.
Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)
Old 11-24-2018, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I called Audi Customer care yesterday to keep some pressure on. I asked to speak with someone in "Customer Resolution and Retention", which is the department at Audi that is supposedly processing my request to refund or replace the vehicle. I was told that’s not a “customer facing” department so I would not be able to speak with them. Funny that the team that has “customer” in the title can’t actually interface with customers. Whatever. So instead I asked to speak with an Audi customer care supervisor. I politely summarized my situation again and then asked if Audi could provide me with either of the following… 1) A timeline for when I can expect the repairs on the SQ5 to finally be completed successfully, or 2) A refund or replacement vehicle.

I think that’s reasonable, but Audi would not provide either of those.

Digging a little further into the current issues with the vehicle, the customer care supervisor indicated that they’re now trying to solve error codes related to the chain tensioner. I speculate it’s possible that this chain tensioner issue is just a new problem created when they replaced both cam adjusters and may not even fix the original problems, but who knows? The dealer is waiting on instructions from Audi on how to proceed next with the repair. Speaking of the actual problem, I am curious if any mechanics on the thread have any theories? My buddy who has worked on many different cars thinks Audi has been chasing an electrical issue this whole time. Who knows, but what are the odds a brand-new car would need 2 new cam adjusters?

Meantime, my case has already been filed with BBB Autoline (arbitration) and I’ve secured a lawyer who will be reaching out to Audi early next week since Audi hasn’t left me any choice here.

Last edited by GC500; 11-25-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)
Old 11-24-2018, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: seattle, Q5 premium plus with 20" wheels, Technology pkg, Nav, B&O Sound, Manhattan Grey with Black
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Funny (more like ironic) you say that! I have been researching (for some time now) the SQ5, BMW X3 M40i, and Lexus RX (albeit a lot less fun, but drawn to it as a current Lexus owner whose dealership and current vehicle have been exemplary); test drove the X3 yesterday and felt it was too cramped and the interior isn't as nice, so I went to test drive the SQ5 again immediately after the X3. The SQ5 just felt "right" with the air suspension, B&O audio, virtual cockpit, etc....then I discovered this thread. While it's likely that the issue with the OP's (who sounds very reasonable IMO) vehicle is an outlier, but the lack of timely response from AoA and even the likely isolated issue with the vehicle are both definitely not confidence inspiring. I had an Acura a few years ago with an issue that eventually resulted in a TSB; but as an early customer with the issue at the time, Acura/Honda refused to do anything until a lot more owners with the issue showed up at dealerships. Given that experience and personally, I would not go back to Acura. While I'm not saying no to the SIQ5 because the vehicle test drove well and has generally received good reviews, as the old saying goes "once bitten, twice shy".

Like you I was a Lexus owner of 13 years, my RX 400h was the best vehicle I ever owned. Went to a dealer out of the city that was better than the local ones as well. I wanted to buy another Lexus. When I drove the new RX it was slower, handled worse than most cars in its class, the electronics inside are notably tedious to use and the front grille ugly. I have never owned a German car, but from the moment I drove the Q5 I noticed much better handling and power, I like the looks, its a perfect size vehicle for me and the interior and technology in the car is great. Not to mention 10K cheaper. The average age of a Lexus owner is about 60 years old and It shows. I know I traded some reliability and higher cost of ownership for fun to drive. I went to the car show last week after three months of driving the Q5, sat in everything again, especially the RX. Still very happy I didn't buy the Lexus.
Skitchr007 (08-03-2019)

Quick Reply: My brand new 2018 SQ5 - In SHOP more than on the road so far!!!