Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI Webasto Parking Heater Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

Wiring: Endgame

So all the final pieces fell into place to finish up the wiring, at this point the wiring has been completed, and everything put back together.. and the fuel system is 99% done, missing that last bundy fitting for fuel tank.. I thought it was 1/4, but it seems to be 5/16th instead, cant find my calipers to measure so I eyeballed it, badly.. those come tomorrow so hopefully that fits and I can wrap everything up.

Soldering Tip: twist and pre-tin both wires, add some shrink wrap, butt them together and rake over both pairs with your iron to fuse em together.. makes nice strong and clean joints.

Here is one last shot of the CAN wiring all wrapped up, notice how I kept em twisted to avoid crosstalk:

Here's the drivers side fuse panel all put back together, and the locations of the two fuses.. from the factory the remote unit is in the back, wired up to a fuse box back there.. but we're shoving this under the dash so I just used the free slot next to the heater.. no fuses are installed right now, those will be put in when I'm ready to power on those components.

And here is the plug for the Remote control system, all the pins are printed on the harness.. super easy.

Now under the fender I soldered on the proper connectors for the parking heater, and of course the wiring is different..

Here is the wiring for the Treg plug:

And the Audi plug is:
PIN1 - Remote Receiver
PIN2 - CAN HIGH
PIN3 - CAN LOW
PIN4 - Heater Coolant Shut Off Valve
PIN5 - UNUSED
PIN6 - Metering Pump

So I left the ground floating, its not in the Audi wiring diagram.. the Power Plug is wired the same, pin 1 is power pin 2 is ground.

Finally I ran the harness leg for the dosing pump down the same route the fuel line took.. and that completes the wiring phase, paid for in blood, sweat, and a few tears..

ladies and gentlemen, dont be like me.. wear a glove.. this phase of the project involved big hands, tiny places, sharp objects.. if you get through it unscathed, you are a wizard of some sort.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 05-18-2020 at 06:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dreadlocks:
-Wes- (11-04-2022), drjonez (05-19-2020), Itsbrokeagain (01-21-2023)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yay, got the bundy fitting today and this one fit like a glove.. fuel system done.. its hot as a mfer right now, what a better time to finish this up lol.. Gonna run to Harbor Freight and grab a bunch more clamps for coolant system and a jug of coolant, and this evening when temps come back to sanity I'll prime the fuel system, fit the webasto, run the recirculation pump to get all the air out of the heater cores, go for a drive and then bleed the air out of the EGR.

Bundy Connectors threw me for a loop, there is no part number for this in catalog and SAE Bundy connectors are all Imperial units.. let me tell you it felt really weird buying a 5/16in part for a Audi..

Also I've been finalizing up the document since the project is nearing completion.. its changed quite a bit since I started it as I learned along the way.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 05-19-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahh fawk me..

Sigh, so I gotta pay the dealer it seems more money to remove this damn fault.. mebe, hopefully it works and just throws this code.. ran through all the output tests and everything seems to be in good working order.
This post seems to indicate it works fine w/component protection flagged: https://www.audiforum.us/threads/par...422/post-76709

Last edited by dreadlocks; 05-19-2020 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Its all in there, unfortunately when I activate the parking heater it shuts off a second or two later.. no other faults observed.. I have an appointment on Friday to get the component protection removed for $80 through a local dude.

So final thoughts on fitting the webasto, getting it on its peg is a pita but keep at it.. lube everything up well.. Once everything was hooked up I put the tire back on and went for a few trips around the block to make sure I didn't blow a hose and get it up to operating temp and circulating a little bit.. got back home and engine was at temp but pipes were cold indicating they still vapor locked, was not getting heat outta the HVAC.. I then plugged in VCDS went into HVAC module and ran basic output tests until I found the one for the aux coolant pump, at first it made a bunch of noise, it runs for like 30s then stops then runs again on repeat as long as your on this screen.. I left it cycling for about 10mins before it had become dead silent and all the heater pipes were hot.. I was getting nice hot air outta the vents.. so inside was purged of air I then topped up the coolant tank and with engine running and coolant pump running, then vented the little screw ontop of the EGR cooler several times until it ran out coolant without any air.. I may purge this high point a few more times in the next few days just to make sure.

So everything is fitted, I cleaned up the driveway of spilled coolant and went for a few test drives to verify no strange noises, or rattles or overheating.. and everything seems perfectly fine.. but if I try to turn on the parking heater it instantly shuts off.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 05-20-2020 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Built4Sin (05-21-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

SUCCESS!

those 3 wavy lines are the indicator its on when the ignition is shut off, it was of course component protection stopping it from working.. I found a indy guy w/an Audi ODIS subscription (different than VW ODIS) who was able to deactivate component protection in about 3mins and cost me $80
-Wes- (11-04-2022)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Awesome! Congrats on getting it done!
dreadlocks (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, now I got a long sad summer of not getting to use it lol..

expect me to revive this post once in November when I can start getting some data on it, I coded it to automatically come on to help heat up the engine once it gets below 41F w/out intervention.. I'm hoping even deleted I get up to operating temp just as fast as the fixed tune, if not faster without even using pre-block heating..

My kids go to school in the same neighborhood, but we've got several weeks, mebe a month or more, every winter where our side roads are nearly impassable with anything but a lifted vehicle w/AWD/4WD.. I hated the idea of driving it a whopping 12 blocks with all that emissions gear trying to warm up an engine that was never gonna get warm, even before the fix.. but now the prospect of not having to scrape any ice off the windows, and getting into a warm diesel for the quick journey is something to look forward too..
Built4Sin (05-22-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Got some data today, on a cold motor @ ~50F outside I fired up the parking heater and then got on the interstate exactly 2 miles away.. as I was pulling onto the highway I heard the dosing pump click one last time and I looked down and it was at operating temp.. the parking heater even though it said it was on never ran any further once it was warm.

This is pretty damn impressive, prior experience at this point was as follows
  • Original Cheating Tune: With no heat on, it might of started to move off the bottom slightly by now.. showing first signs of life.
  • Twice Fixed Tune: With no heat on this would almost be 1/2 way warmed up by now, less if I had climatronic on.
  • Deleted Tune w/out Parking Heater: It'd of not budged at all until I was on the highway for a lil bit.

So its looking good, I was VERY supprised it shut off within 2 miles and I was at operating temp today.
Built4Sin (05-24-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Woke up today at camp with it at 11 degrees outside and the snow starting to fall just north of Woodland Park, CO.. as I was making coffee I fired up the Webasto way out of altitude spec. After I drank my coffee (~20m) I loaded the kids into the warm Audi, and then when I went to hookup the trailer 45mins after turning it on, the inside was toasty warm, the windows were clear and when I pulled out of camp after idling for another 10mins it was at full operating temp, despite the temps and the trailer I rolled no coal getting back onto the road, which I totally expected it to do.

I frigging love this thing.. the exhaust coming out from the middle is quite noticeable, w/a nice diesely smell.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 10-25-2020 at 01:54 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by dreadlocks:
Built4Sin (10-25-2020), drjonez (10-25-2020), Hopmeister (12-09-2020), RJW-2015-Q7 (10-27-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering installing one of these myself. Excellent write up Dreadlocks.
Even in England I have to sit on the drive for around 10 minutes waiting to defrost the screen. It's a shame Audi don't pay the licence for the in glass heaters....

Quick Reply: Q7 TDI Webasto Parking Heater Retrofit