Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Audi Q7 Towing

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I gave to a shop here for professional installation. They created two inlet points instead of using the T without asking me. They are willing to change it for me, but their theory is this is a better way to do it. Otherwise the air will move between airbags during turns creating a rocking effect.

I am not worried about the inconvenience of filling the air twice. I am thinking, by having separate inlet, the both airbags may not have same pressure all the time and that may create a safety hazard. Any thoughts?

They have done a very good installation otherwise. There is no overnight air leak.

I have not tested with trailer yet, but when I filled with 35 PSI, the car move up about a quarter inch.Measured at the hitch.

Last edited by Pk_2018; 09-02-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
Yes, it was inflated before the trailer was hooked up (but inflated after the jack was removed from under the car, so car was sitting on the wheels). I am not sure if the intent is to jack up both wheels and inflate the bags first. It wasn't clear from the instructions.
To answer the last question, I deflated the bags (to like 5PSI) and measured without load and again after inflating the bags. The difference in height was very little (if any).
inflate when it’s off the jack.

when u inflate to 35, do u see the car going up? Mine goes up by 1/2“ I measure from the back tire’s wheel well. I never measured at the hitch.

it’s amazing u for extra gas mileage, I’m doing around 11mpg when towing
Old 09-02-2020, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like someone already asked this question on etrailer. Does not seem there is clear preference either way?
https://www.etrailer.com/question-201263.html
Old 09-02-2020, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ecbc1
inflate when it’s off the jack.

when u inflate to 35, do u see the car going up? Mine goes up by 1/2“ I measure from the back tire’s wheel well. I never measured at the hitch.

it’s amazing u for extra gas mileage, I’m doing around 11mpg when towing
I found the consumption drops if I don't go over 100kph, so I keep it at cruise at 100.
With the reduced consumption in the last trip I noticed the gear does go into 8 more often (normally 7) whereas in the past I would rarely ever see it going into 8.
Still I'm baffled what has changed, it can't be due to the air bags though!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi_MI
Wow they only helped 1/4”-1/2”? That isn’t much...I was just about to pull the trigger on these and now I’m questioning will this really do the job for me.

I want to level the car out completely when hooked up and was hoping these would, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

This was my trailer hooked up with nothing:

Of course leave it to me to try and get everything squared away just days before we left. So I ended up getting spring spacers and putting those in. Worked as a good bandaid but not a permanent fix in my mind. Worked well for our trip across the US but want a more permanent solution.

Here is a picture after the spacers were put in. Raised up about 1 to 1 1/2”.
What are you referring to by "spacers"? are you using these airbag kits or something else? I definitely didn't get 1-1.5" raise...
Old 09-02-2020, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are you referring to by "spacers"? are you using these airbag kits or something else? I definitely didn't get 1-1.5" raise...
Something that you put into the coil spring to limit the travel in a portion of the spring.

I ended up using this style. They are a cast metal piece that twists into the spring. I used 3 per each spring. I spread them out evenly over 1.5 turns of the coil. Bad pictures of them installed and already removed them. They took 15-20mins to install and 10minutes to remove. Main thing I don’t like about these is they create pressure point on the springs and not sure about durability and how the spring will be affected over time.

I did try other styles as well.

This style didn’t work and wouldn’t recommend it.

This is the style I wanted to use as it takes up a full coil turn and distributes the load. There were only two sizes at my local auto parts store. The 1” thick was to thin. The 2” thick seemed like it would work but I was only able to get them installed about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way. It was very tight and even with soap and water it was extremely difficult. If I had a set of spring compressors to compress a portion of the spring I probably could have opened it up enough to slide it in.

Old 09-02-2020, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I wouldn't use any of them (in particular the metal ones).
Old 09-02-2020, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wouldn't use any of them (in particular the metal ones).

Yea not the ideal situation...total bandaid

Hence the reason I’m looking for a permanent solution. It got the job done but don’t want to use them ever again.

MolnEd, what kind of rise do you have in your hitch? Does you trailer level out? Or does it sag in the front? Are you satisfied with the improvement you got from the Air Lift kit? Or is it sub par from what you were hoping for?

Ideally I want a solution that keeps the car somewhat level and the trailer level. Might just have to fork up some more bones and get a prestige...

Old 09-02-2020, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi_MI
Yea not the ideal situation...total bandaid

Hence the reason I’m looking for a permanent solution. It got the job done but don’t want to use them ever again.

MolnEd, what kind of rise do you have in your hitch? Does you trailer level out? Or does it sag in the front? Are you satisfied with the improvement you got from the Air Lift kit? Or is it sub par from what you were hoping for?

Ideally I want a solution that keeps the car somewhat level and the trailer level. Might just have to fork up some more bones and get a prestige...
The airlift definitely didn't give me the result I was hoping for. Maybe I should have had chosen a taller air bag or maybe I should add a little more spacer disks.
The gap between top/bottom of the spring in unloaded situation is just under 8" and the 60904 kit gives you 7.75" airbag with spacers. I went and double checked the difference of height between bags inflated and deflated is a mere 1/8". I might add a hocky puck or something else for next summer when I want to tow again.
Our trailer is a single axle and the tongue weight is around 530lb. I don't have an Audi receiver ball, instead I took a Reese 6000/600 receiver (with 2 5/16" ball) and drilled another 5/8" hole so that the ball gets as close to the Q7 as possible, it is still more than the spec that Audi says but I am within 15% range and given that my trailer tongue weight is well below the 770 capacity I figure I should be Ok.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The airlift definitely didn't give me the result I was hoping for. Maybe I should have had chosen a taller air bag or maybe I should add a little more spacer disks.
The gap between top/bottom of the spring in unloaded situation is just under 8" and the 60904 kit gives you 7.75" airbag with spacers. I went and double checked the difference of height between bags inflated and deflated is a mere 1/8". I might add a hocky puck or something else for next summer when I want to tow again.
Our trailer is a single axle and the tongue weight is around 530lb. I don't have an Audi receiver ball, instead I took a Reese 6000/600 receiver (with 2 5/16" ball) and drilled another 5/8" hole so that the ball gets as close to the Q7 as possible, it is still more than the spec that Audi says but I am within 15% range and given that my trailer tongue weight is well below the 770 capacity I figure I should be Ok.

Are u sure the 60904 is 7.75 including two spacers at each side? I was hoping the bag was 7.75 itself.

My 60901 is 8 x 3.0 (According to website) without spacers but I measured the spring length to 7.75 to the bottom of the sharp plastic piece at the top. I added only one of the thicker spacer which I’m guessing added 1/2.”

My Q7 is the prestige 20” wheels so I’m not sure if that throws calculations off or results in a shorter spring length.

U have the right idea, maybe add another spacer or hockey puck....

Last edited by ecbc1; 09-02-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q7 Towing