Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Audi Q7 Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calculi
Here's a picture with about 450 lbs of tongue weight with the airlift bags inflated to 30psi. It towed just fine on the way home and felt like I had extra power reserves. The trailer is a 2021 Lance 1685.

Looks like you have much less sag than mine...so air bag is helping for sure. Did you notice how much the back went down after the trailer wanted mounted?
Old 08-27-2020, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by calculi
Here's a picture with about 450 lbs of tongue weight with the airlift bags inflated to 30psi. It towed just fine on the way home and felt like I had extra power reserves. The trailer is a 2021 Lance 1685.

Looks good! U should have plenty of power. Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2020, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pk_2018
Update on my brake controller issue: It looks like my Q7 does not output 12v unless a trailer is connected. A local shop here tried a lot of different testers on this but none of them detected a 12v output. But when I connect this to trailer, I can see the battery charging. I am not sure if it is a Canadian model specific limitation but I found another person mentioning the same issue on Amazon.ca. He was able to work around that by taping brake connector pin and then connecting the trailer for initial set up. I gave up on the Prodigy RF because I found another issue while doing a test drive with it. The controller does brake pulse when hazard lights are on. It assumes since both lights are on, the brake in pressed. I know many people are happy with this product, but to me this is a big no. I do not want to give up the ability of using hazards. Hazards are there for a reason and is legal in many places even when you are moving on highway. I do not how this product is even allowed in the market. There is no warning in the product documentation about this.

I finally went with curt triflex. Found the plug under the dash after removing the panel. The curt one feels like a very cheaply made product...I will probably change to Priodigy hardwired one later.
I saw the same thing with the 12V output as your shop. Q7 electrical is a little odd.

If your RV is prewired to backup cameras and it taps the tail light power, you’ll notice u won’t get enough power also. Your camera either won’t work or goes on and off.

g/l

Old 08-27-2020, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ecbc1
I've inflated it up to 30psi and put 500# on it and it went down by 1 in after going up by 0.5 in. But my airbag is 3" width.
Since yours is 3.5" you might be able to get away with less PSI. I read somewhere that the max should be 30psi and support confirmed that with me on the phone. He also said it was important to inflate to your desired PSI before putting the weight on it because the airbags fill into the springs. I originally put the 500# first and inflated it, that didn't work well.

Do experiment with the psi if u have time.

g/l
My kit is arriving today. Doing some reading online to learn installation later today (before our camping trip tomorrow), the max PSI is 35 or 50 depending on the pitch of spring:
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...ftSFMEXUXF_MoI

30 is the number they suggest to start from.
The following users liked this post:
calculi (08-27-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do some research on tuson direclink you wont be disappointed plus it has slow speed brake so wheels dont lock when you brake first thing leaving rv park
Old 08-29-2020, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I did my first camping trailer today with 90 mins drive both ways. Drive was most ok few point to note.
  1. Never felt short on power. Never felt reduced brake effectiveness either.
  2. It handled bad roads quite well specially where the dip or rise under one tire only.
  3. I have about 20 mins drive on a concrete road and that was super uncomfortable. It kept bouncing on the slab joints. I had to take a different route on return to avoid that.
  4. The same this happened when ever there was dip in the road (even deep under both tires)
  5. I was hit by abut 15-20 miles for hour wind. I had hold the steering really tight during the that. It felt like the trailer is moving the Q7 on side ways. I do not have sway bar installed yet...that will probably improve this a little.
I had never pulled a trailer before..so have nothing to compare with.

There was quite a bit of sag as you see below. The air bags coming next week...should improve things.
Can you share where you’re sourcing the equipment for air ride and cost? I’ve been looking into a system as well. TIA
Old 08-29-2020, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update on my brake controller issue: It looks like my Q7 does not output 12v unless a trailer is connected. A local shop here tried a lot of different testers on this but none of them detected a 12v output. But when I connect this to trailer, I can see the battery charging. I am not sure if it is a Canadian model specific limitation but I found another person mentioning the same issue on Amazon.ca. He was able to work around that by taping brake connector pin and then connecting the trailer for initial set up. I gave up on the Prodigy RF because I found another issue while doing a test drive with it. The controller does brake pulse when hazard lights are on. It assumes since both lights are on, the brake in pressed. I know many people are happy with this product, but to me this is a big no. I do not want to give up the ability of using hazards. Hazards are there for a reason and is legal in many places even when you are moving on highway. I do not how this product is even allowed in the market. There is no warning in the product documentation about this.

I finally went with curt triflex. Found the plug under the dash after removing the panel. The curt one feels like a very cheaply made product...I will probably change to Priodigy hardwired one later.
Originally Posted by Ktran350
Can you share where you’re sourcing the equipment for air ride and cost? I’ve been looking into a system as well. TIA
get an ezi lift weight d/hitch has sway bay feature built in it also has diagram for fitting air bags came from summit racing
Old 08-29-2020, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

summit racing is where i got mine and sent to australia how is q7 with stg 2 tune I am waiting for dimsport my genius for mine but mine is diesel any body out there used my genius
Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by robsan1
summit racing is where i got mine and sent to australia how is q7 with stg 2 tune I am waiting for dimsport my genius for mine but mine is diesel any body out there used my genius
Is it vehicle specific or universal kit? Stage II tune is awesome and my drives are quite more enjoyable now. I’m in an area with 93 octane so I am debating if I want to reflash it for the 93 file since I have 91 right now. I doubt I’ll do it though for the peace of mind.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I got mine on Amazon and they came within 2 days.
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q7 Towing