Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Audi Q7 Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktran350
Is it vehicle specific or universal kit? Stage II tune is awesome and my drives are quite more enjoyable now. I’m in an area with 93 octane so I am debating if I want to reflash it for the 93 file since I have 91 right now. I doubt I’ll do it though for the peace of mind.
I had to measure spring inside and height I kept part number but shifted to another state but lost it
Old 08-30-2020, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ktran350
Can you share where you’re sourcing the equipment for air ride and cost? I’ve been looking into a system as well. TIA
i got mine from amazon canada but looks like they are sold out now. Amazon USA also showing shipping delay.

Last edited by Pk_2018; 08-30-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by calculi
So I ended up installing the Air Lift model 60904 3.5" airbags yesterday. It was a little tough to get in but once in, it was able to move up and down freely so appears to be the correct size. The only confusing part was removing the rear lower control arm covers. I broke a couple of the OEM lower control arm cover clips but just used zip ties to reattach them back into place.

I used the thinner kit protectors on the bottom and the thicker kit protectors for the top.

Ride height is the same but the car feels stiffer in the rear. I'll have a Lance 1685 trailer with a heavy tongue on it in a couple days so that'll be the real test.

Etrailer has a few great videos on the installation process. The key is to dip the plastic ends into hot water for a few minutes before attaching the fittings.
Hi calculi, can you please post few pictures of how the air pipe came out from the spring and also where did you expose it outside? thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pk_2018
Hi calculi, can you please post few pictures of how the air pipe came out from the spring and also where did you expose it outside? thanks in advance.
I'll try to get some pictures tonight but here's what I did:
  • Air lines come out of bottom of the airbag, through a hole in the lower control arms that is centered around the springs.
  • I then routed the air lines back up over the inside bushing of the control arms and zip tied to the rear cross beam
  • I used the included "T" connection to connect the two lines (closer to the passenger side of the vehicle).
  • For the 3rd line, I routed it away from the exhaust to the back of the car close to the passenger side. Once close to the bumper, I then routed the line to the top of the hitch where I keep it just behind the bumper unless I'm changing the pressure in which case I pull it out to change the pressure.
The following users liked this post:
Pk_2018 (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

I too installed the 60904 kit on Thursday and went on a trip with our trailer on Friday morning for a few days. It helps to keep the hitch a little higher than normal but not as much as I thought (before connecting the trailer I measured the bottom of the hitch to ground at just over 14" and after hook up it was 1.25" drop). Without the air bag drop was around 1.5-1.75", so it helps about 1/4-1/2".
One thing that was significantly different for me (and I have found no explanation whatsoever) is the reduced gas consumption on the same trip that we have taken numerous times: same load on the trailer and same passengers have gone this 400km drive multiple times and almost always it's about 20L/100km going (heading west and higher) and around 18.5L/100km coming home (going east and lower). This time it was 17.8 and 16.5 respectively. A good 10-15% drop!
Old 09-01-2020, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MoInEd
I too installed the 60904 kit on Thursday and went on a trip with our trailer on Friday morning for a few days. It helps to keep the hitch a little higher than normal but not as much as I thought (before connecting the trailer I measured the bottom of the hitch to ground at just over 14" and after hook up it was 1.25" drop). Without the air bag drop was around 1.5-1.75", so it helps about 1/4-1/2".
One thing that was significantly different for me (and I have found no explanation whatsoever) is the reduced gas consumption on the same trip that we have taken numerous times: same load on the trailer and same passengers have gone this 400km drive multiple times and almost always it's about 20L/100km going (heading west and higher) and around 18.5L/100km coming home (going east and lower). This time it was 17.8 and 16.5 respectively. A good 10-15% drop!
What is the PSI you inflated the airbags with?
Old 09-02-2020, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Pk_2018
What is the PSI you inflated the airbags with?
34-35 PSI
Old 09-02-2020, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
34-35 PSI
Did u inflate first before putting the load on?

Did your vehicle go up in height when inflated with the protectors?
Old 09-02-2020, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ecbc1
Did u inflate first before putting the load on?

Did your vehicle go up in height when inflated with the protectors?
Yes, it was inflated before the trailer was hooked up (but inflated after the jack was removed from under the car, so car was sitting on the wheels). I am not sure if the intent is to jack up both wheels and inflate the bags first. It wasn't clear from the instructions.
To answer the last question, I deflated the bags (to like 5PSI) and measured without load and again after inflating the bags. The difference in height was very little (if any).
Old 09-02-2020, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow they only helped 1/4”-1/2”? That isn’t much...I was just about to pull the trigger on these and now I’m questioning will this really do the job for me.

I want to level the car out completely when hooked up and was hoping these would, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

This was my trailer hooked up with nothing:

Of course leave it to me to try and get everything squared away just days before we left. So I ended up getting spring spacers and putting those in. Worked as a good bandaid but not a permanent fix in my mind. Worked well for our trip across the US but want a more permanent solution.

Here is a picture after the spacers were put in. Raised up about 1 to 1 1/2”.

Attached Thumbnails 2018 Audi Q7 Towing-d2653adf-8e8c-4957-ada2-79a8823f7b9a.jpeg  

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q7 Towing