Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Has anyone had success activating AudiConnect?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about Traffic? Will it work without Audi Connect? That's the only real feature I use on a daily basis.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

What year Q7? If you have a MY2016 or earlier, Sirius provides traffic via satellite through a separate $3.99 per month subscription after the free trial - no Audi connect needed. MY2017 with the new MMI is sourced from Inrix and apparently needs an active Audi connect acct. to receive the data via the car's cel modem much like the parking info from Inrix.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

2017 Q7

So I have to pay $700/30 month to have traffic!? or will the $10 AT&T data provide traffic?

Originally Posted by snagitseven
What year Q7? If you have a MY2016 or earlier, Sirius provides traffic via satellite through a separate $3.99 per month subscription after the free trial - no Audi connect needed. MY2017 with the new MMI is sourced from Inrix and apparently needs an active Audi connect acct. to receive the data via the car's cel modem much like the parking info from Inrix.

Last edited by yungichu; 02-18-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So you can't use a hotspot in your phone and connect the vehicle to it to use data services for things like Inrix or Google updates instead of paying the $750 for 30 months? Just asking, don't have the vehicle yet.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by yungichu
2017 Q7

So I have to pay $700/30 month to have traffic!? or will the $10 AT&T data provide traffic?
Like I wrote in an earlier post, there are less expensive alternative sources to get the AC data.

Originally Posted by Paradox
So you can't use a hotspot in your phone and connect the vehicle to it to use data services for things like Inrix or Google updates instead of paying the $750 for 30 months? Just asking, don't have the vehicle yet.
Unfortunately, Audi does not support tethering from a phone in the U.S. as it is in Europe. Also read my earlier post re data source alternatives.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not sure having just AT&T data will provide traffic on my GPS (or any of the Audi Connect features like Google Map).

When my Audi Connect wasn't working the first week, my Wi-fi was activated and working correctly. I had data from AT&T, but it showed no traffic on my simple GPS Map.

It wasn't until the dealer activated my Audi Connect, then traffic showed on my map. So I think the ATT data can only provide wifi, not AC data source.

Like I wrote in an earlier post, there are less expensive alternative sources to get the AC data.

Unfortunately, Audi does not support tethering from a phone in the U.S. as it is in Europe. Also read my earlier post re data source alternatives.

Last edited by yungichu; 02-18-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just logged into my Audi Connect page. it says:

Note: An Audi connect® Connect Services plan is required to purchase a Wi-Fi™ hotspot plan.

I believe you have to purchase Audi Connect before you can use the $10 ATT plan. The ATT data is only for wifi, not Audi Connect

Last edited by yungichu; 02-18-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think you are confusing different things. AT&T is the provider for an internet connection - they don't have anything to do with the Audi Connect features which are nothing more than "apps". When you buy a subscription from AC, you get the provider and get any data feature provided by AC. You can use the free trial (if you get one or buy one month of AC/AT&T then once you've registered on myAudi to get your pin, you can then switch to a different provider outside of Audi's plan.

The A6/A7 owners have already been through this process since the intro of the MY2016 with the new MMI with AT&T LTE and Audi Connect. Go to the C7 forums and do a search - lots of threads on the subject.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Audi simply doesn't make activating Connect easy and further complicates things with all the little bells, whistles and exorbitant costs if you want to keep it. Personally, I will enjoy the 6 month free ride and be done with it - just not that important.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have had Sirius traffic on two Mercedes and find it is next to worthless. The timing of updates is so bad that you are either already in a jam before it shows on the screen or it warns of a jam that is no longer there. It is so unreliable that I tend to just use Waze instead and have dropped the Sirius traffic from my subscription.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had success activating AudiConnect?