Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Heated Wheel Turns itself off

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always turned mine of after few minutes as if not it gets too hot for my tastes, but then I live in Florida!
Old 02-22-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimminez
There you go. I think I turned in on once since ownership and have since swapped out to a unheated flat bottom.
Not sure what you meant to say. If I'll use steering wheel heater when car is cold it gets warm and toasty really quickly (1 minute?) and I'll be switching it off after 3-5 minutes. If the car is warmed up and was parked for a short period of time switching on heater gets steering wheel warmish, but far from what it gets to when car is cold. Thus comes an observation that inside cabin temp plays a role in how hot steering wheel will be heated.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
I like my wheel as warm as it can be so I turn it to level 3, the highest setting, all the time. It seems over time it turns itself down to level 2 and upon restarting the car, it doesn't start at level 3 like I wanted it. Each time I get in the car I have to bump it back up to three.

But never had the auto-shut off.
How do you adjust the level of steering wheel heating? Mine just stays on once activated and even next morning, unless and until I manually switch it off. During the time it is on, the steering becomes warm and then stays that way. I'm guessing it goes into "idle mode" once it reaches threshold temperature. Once temperature falls below that threshold then restarts to warm again.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
How do we set the levels of heat?
Originally Posted by sr007
How do you adjust the level of steering wheel heating? Mine just stays on once activated and even next morning, unless and until I manually switch it off. During the time it is on, the steering becomes warm and then stays that way. I'm guessing it goes into "idle mode" once it reaches threshold temperature. Once temperature falls below that threshold then restarts to warm again.

I am stupid. I confused the seat heater with the steering wheel heater.

What I meant to say was my seat heater settings don't stick after a restart. I like my seat to be toasty so I put it on high, but getting back in the car the next morning, it will still be on but at medium and I never changed it.

The steering wheel heater has two settings, on and off. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

What I meant to say was my seat heater settings don't stick after a restart. I like my seat to be toasty so I put it on high, but getting back in the car the next morning, it will still be on but at medium and I never changed it.

The steering wheel heater has two settings, on and off. Sorry for the confusion.
If I am not mistaken my heated seats stay heated on same stage (1/2/3) after a restart.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

LOL! Btw, my seat heater setting always come back to on to the last setting
Old 02-23-2018, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
If I am not mistaken my heated seats stay heated on same stage (1/2/3) after a restart.
My driver seat remembers the last seat heat setting after shutdown and restart. It does not remember the setting for the passenger or back seats. Those reset to off after shutdown/restart.

My steering wheel heat remembers on/off after shutdown/restart.

A time or two in the summer it was on when I started the car, like it turned itself on. Very noticeable on a warm day when the wheel is even hotter than ambient temp. I'm not sure if it did it by itself (gremlin) or if maybe I bumped the switch getting out and didn't realize it.

I wish there was a small LED in the switch to tell you if it is on or off.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RickObe
My driver seat remembers the last seat heat setting after shutdown and restart. It does not remember the setting for the passenger or back seats.
Weird. Mine remembers the passenger seat setting as well. I have not paid attention to the back seats
Old 02-23-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, for me it seems to be at 2 and sometimes one, when another driver uses it. But I know I always keep it at 3 when I turn it on. If it doesn't feel like sitting on a mound of fire ants, I don't want it. But coming back to the car, it will always be on two. If another driver in our house drives it and then I get in, it seems to be at 1, and I know they put it at 2 because 3 is too much for them.

So it seems to go down by one level at some point. I wonder if it's something in place to prevent the seat leather and cushion from being damaged by prolonged and excessive heat? But I've never seen this happen in BMW, Lexus, or MB models we've owned with heated seats.

One thing I want to try is going for a long drive with the seat heater at high and see if it turns down by itself while driving. The most I've ever spent driving in one go is about an hour but maybe for a longer trip just see if Audi has it set to cool down a bit after prolonged use.