Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

How do I install the map update via the SD card?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Complete agree. It literally should be one page. Hell, if they really wanted to monetize this they could just sell an SD card with the required files on it. If they are expecting people to find it, then make it easy. Amazing how issues like this exist in 2019. It's not like it's 1999...
The following users liked this post:
sickk23 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricDogs
I should have said that I tried that, but it kept failing, something to do with "xxxxx is a folder" or similar. Given that the downloader also said you can download to disk and copy the files across, that is what I just tried. I tried formatting the sd card as FAT32 and exFAT, the only thing I didn't try is to download from a Windows machine, but surely that doesn't make a difference?

Are you saying that what I have done simply won't work?
You have to download it to the root directory of the SD card - not to any subdirectories.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc H
You have to download it to the root directory of the SD card - not to any subdirectories.
Yep, just done it again from the top, downloaded the javascript executable, fresh download to a freshly formatted sd card using a temp directory on my hard drive. Whilst it said it was successful, I just have Data and Meta on the SD card, nothing else. I haven't tried it in the car yet, will do so later, but not optimistic given that there is nothing in the root directory for the MMI to read..

Is everyone doing this on Windows or are there some Mac users too? Not that it should make a difference with Java...
Old 07-17-2019, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElectricDogs
Yep, just done it again from the top, downloaded the javascript executable, fresh download to a freshly formatted sd card using a temp directory on my hard drive. Whilst it said it was successful, I just have Data and Meta on the SD card, nothing else. I haven't tried it in the car yet, will do so later, but not optimistic given that there is nothing in the root directory for the MMI to read..

Is everyone doing this on Windows or are there some Mac users too? Not that it should make a difference with Java...
I downloaded the Map to my computer then copied the below files to the root directory of a USB drive. Then just plug in the USB to the car and go from there. No issues.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dbull
I downloaded the Map to my computer then copied the below files to the root directory of a USB drive. Then just plug in the USB to the car and go from there. No issues.

Hope this helps.
That is exactly what I did yesterday and that is exactly what my SD card root looks like. Q7 is still at the dealer for coatings but will try the install when I pick it up.
The following users liked this post:
dbull (07-17-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, started the update before I left the dealer after the Expel/Cer Pro and let it run. Completed about 45 minutes later with no issues.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I updated through SD?USB before but for some reason what I downloaded wasn't the final version since online one still said there were updates available.

Unfortunately I can never apply to WA/OR map update online since it always get stuck on 2nd package download.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SarhoshAmiral
I updated through SD?USB before but for some reason what I downloaded wasn't the final version since online one still said there were updates available.

Unfortunately I can never apply to WA/OR map update online since it always get stuck on 2nd package download.
That is very odd, we are kinda rural but have a 65 mpbs home cable connection and no issues downloading at all. It took around an hour or a bit more with the Java downloader. Everything, including the downloader, was downloaded direct to the SD card. Actual update in vehicle took around 45 minutes. I am in Oregon and it seems to have given me that data as well. I used freshly exFAT formatted Lexar Platinum II 200x SDXC 64 mb that was leftover from my vacation DSLR photos if that matters...

Last edited by Astropup; 07-19-2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 audi a3 map update trouble

Hey guys, i recently bought a 2015 a3 sedan and the map version in my car says 2015-16 map version. But when i go to my audi to download new maps it is saying my maps are up to date and there is no option to download anything. Is there somethimg im missing to get these downloads to show up in the site?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 284 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by kristopher smith
Hey guys, i recently bought a 2015 a3 sedan and the map version in my car says 2015-16 map version. But when i go to my audi to download new maps it is saying my maps are up to date and there is no option to download anything. Is there somethimg im missing to get these downloads to show up in the site?
Perhaps try the A3 forum?

Quick Reply: How do I install the map update via the SD card?