Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

how many % off msrp

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion you'd have to be a real dirt bag dealer not to refund a deposit, a dealer will be able to move a vehicle by selling, trading it or taking it to an auction, sometimes things change in peoples lives in which may dictate that you need or want to back out of a deal or you found somebody else who wants your business more. It's just good business to do right by the customer, otherwise word of month will hurt the dealership badly usually.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the argument for deposits go both ways. I placed a deposit in late November for my Q7 with the intention of purchasing my vehicle when it arrives. It is now March and I still don't have a comm number or eta. I am currently shopping around to find an in stock Q7 to my liking and if that isn't possible looking at a different vehicle. Either way i will expect to have my deposit fully refunded when I ask for it back.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I find this quite a mean-spirited comment, and why you have made it I have no clue. Clearly you are not understanding what point I am trying to make. If you want to try and disagree with someone that has worked in this industry for years, I'm not exactly what special insight you have that I do not that makes you an expert. Logic suggest it would be the exact opposite.....
I was semi joking around. I didn't mean to offend you.

It's obvious by reading this forum that your opinions and views aren't shared by many others here. You obviously see things from your dealerships view and one that I wouldn't do business with. As most here I'd imagaine, I've bought many cars and in different states over the years and I kind of am shocked at some your views and practices as I've never experienced them before.

My 2 cents.

Peace.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I'd argue pretty strongly it's being a "dirt bag" to tell a salesman you are making a purchase, make him go through all the work, sign papers and put down a deposit....and then feel like you should be able to change your mind *****-nilly. I don't think you would find that to be very fair if you were on the other side of the sales desk, nor would that be an acceptable practice in other sales industries. I don't think there is a very good understanding of how the auto industry actually works at a dealership level and how inventory is controlled. If you were a salesman you might have a different view of this entire scenario. If you want to make special arrangements to get your deposit back due to special circumstances, timeliness of receiving an ordered vehicle, unforeseen life changes, etc....great, make those special arrangements with your dealership. That is not the norm for many places, because it's an unrealistic expectation to think that's how a business should be run. Locally, you wouldn't be getting your deposit back from Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi, Volvo, Acura, Jag or any other brand in this scenario here and that would be considered standard business practice, not being a "dirt bag" dealership. I guess every dealerships is a "dirt bag" in my area. Gesh.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bozman5000
I was semi joking around. I didn't mean to offend you.

It's obvious by reading this forum that your opinions and views aren't shared by many others here. You obviously see things from your dealerships view and one that I wouldn't do business with. As most here I'd imagaine, I've bought many cars and in different states over the years and I kind of am shocked at some your views and practices as I've never experienced them before.

My 2 cents.

Peace.
You might have a very different opinion of the industry if you had actually worked in it and were a salesman.... I don't think the large urban dealerships operate in a very similar fashion to more more "rural" dealerships that service hundreds of miles of customers. I could find a lot of consumers that would be pretty shocked to hear of the way business is done in your area. You don't put a deposit down at a Chevy store and get it back here either.....different expectations and understandings I guess.

Sorry if I was being overly-sensitive. It's cool.....
Old 03-02-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To start with, mine was refundable. But to you question. How much more you want off? You said you seen some discounts on here and now you are wondering if you got a good deal. I have seen some on here that was just crazy and didn't believe them, not for a Q7. Some i seen was more than invoice. I don't think any Dealer will do that for a Q7. Some dealers when it come to the Prestige don't give nothing, cause most have a list wanting one. Like the other poster stated, you can ask, but if you agreed and put a deposit down, wouldn't think it fair. They ride so good...
Old 03-02-2017, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

To the guy in southern ohio, try middle burg heights around Cleveland, Have lots on the lot
Old 03-02-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My last post on this subject so here goes, I currently work for a sales organization in which sells machinery starting at 6,000 through 150,000 and a very good friend of mine owns a car dealership and if we and I've had the discussion with him was ever asked for a deposit back we'd give it back with no questions asked and we would hope they'll come back for another purchase down the road. If we refused to refund the deposit I'd expect never to see that customer again. It's happened and it is what it is, part of doing business.

Just my .02

P.S. when I ordered my Q7 and A4 at the same time from the same dealer I asked them how much of a deposit they'd like that they said a handshake is enough for them, that's a good business if you ask me, I'll be back there again!

Last edited by Eppieguy; 03-02-2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-02-2017, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Guys - It all comes down to market factors, and the US is a very diverse market. In some places dealers will do a refundable deposit because they know they can move the car regardless. In other cases where they will likely experience hardship, or just have different customer service standards, they'll insist on a deposit. in other places its the law. Based on some examples here we can all see that it can benefit both sides in the case circumstances change or delivery is delayed, etc.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

When I bought my Q7, my salesman told me that all deposits are fully refundable in California no matter what the dealer says. They are required by state law to refund the deposit if asked.

Quick Reply: how many % off msrp