Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

License plate frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Didn't want to start a new thread - this one close enough.

Tried to remove my plate and frame this morning so I can attach my new registration sticker. No can do - right screw just spins, and spins, and spins,.....

Spent 5 minutes trying to get it off!

My first service (10K) is scheduled for March 20 - I'll let the service department deal with it.

IIRC I had the same issue with my 2014 once. Anyone else?

Can't complain much, as this is my first issue.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Haha. If I was parking on manhattan streets, that would not be overkill!!!
Would not use the BumpShox one with our cars - triggers proximity alerts, and I had it removed and replaced withva smaller profile license plate cover. And I do park on Manhattan streets - sometimes..,
Old 03-10-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
Didn't want to start a new thread - this one close enough.

Tried to remove my plate and frame this morning so I can attach my new registration sticker. No can do - right screw just spins, and spins, and spins,.....

Spent 5 minutes trying to get it off!

My first service (10K) is scheduled for March 20 - I'll let the service department deal with it.

IIRC I had the same issue with my 2014 once. Anyone else?

Can't complain much, as this is my first issue.
I remember reading a problem with rear plate because the bracket behind the plate holes turns loose and now it's making your screw spin free.
Did you try pulling the frame while you try to unscrew so that it keeps the mount flush against inside and forces it to stay in place, but that would mean putting it back in place might be a problem.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
I remember reading a problem with rear plate because the bracket behind the plate holes turns loose and now it's making your screw spin free.
Did you try pulling the frame while you try to unscrew so that it keeps the mount flush against inside and forces it to stay in place, but that would mean putting it back in place might be a problem.
Yes, but I did it with a pair of pliers. Tried turning the screw while pulling on it - no luck.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hayde_bre
Thanks BigKutta, when you said you got a bumper plate frame, I immediately thought of this, which I find to be an overkill.

--

The one you found looks good enough to pass as normal plate frame, I'll definitely look into that for front.
I think what you got is best since it not only protects the front bumper (partially) but also protects the plate too. I hated how bent my old plate got over years.
I saw two of these in Manhattan over the weekend. Certainly made me wish I had that just for the time I was there!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

"Tried to remove my plate and frame this morning so I can attach my new registration sticker. No can do - right screw just spins, and spins, and spins,.....

Spent 5 minutes trying to get it off!"

I had the same issue on my A8. I was finally able to get it out. German engineering gone awry. Metal nut turns and enlarges the hole on the bracket causing it to just spin.
I finally got mine out by sticking a putty knife under the bolt and prying upward while turning the the head. The fix for me was a new license plate frame at $95 from audiusa parts.
I will be trimming the sticker from now on.

Last edited by jahummel; 04-22-2019 at 03:29 AM.