Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

New Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Windshield

This is my recent experience. Had a crack develop from a rock impact and needed to get replaced. Knew the windshield was expensive and that I would be replacing under my auto insurance. The car is a 2017 Premium Plus without HUD. My insurance company said I could use anyone (including the dealer) but they recommended Safelite. I was fine with Safelite and made the reservation. The replacement took about 90 minutes at their shop and the cost was $966. They also checked the dynamic alignment to make sure the cameras and safety systems were working properly. The Tech told me they are very careful to try and not bump/impact the cameras and they usually do not have to make any adjustments when they check the dynamic alignment. We have not had any problems since the install.

Just for reference, the dynamic alignment at the dealer costs $399 by itself.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Interesting. My Q7 is on order but a recent experience with my 17 Honda Ridgeline had me wondering. State Farm wanted the company to use a non-Honda windshield. It turned out that the camera bracket had been installed crooked by the glass manufacturer so the system would not work. They then got approval to use a Honda windshield and the system calibrated in the shop but would not work on the road. Finally, a visit to the dealer got things working again. So three trips (two hour drive each) and waits of 4 hours each. I was a bit pissed and will insist on OEM from now on.

I assume yours was an OEM windshield? Prolly even more critical with my (being built as we speak) Q7 since it has the HUD.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I should have confirmed the windshield is an OEM and has Audi branding on it.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'll also add that when the car was new (100 miles) there was a mfg defect with the wipers that caused a scratch on windshield. It was replaced by the dealer with a dynamic alignment. The next day all the safety systems failed and the dealer had to redo the alignment. I know the dealer had a 3rd party come and change the glass. So I guess that it happens.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going through this nightmare now, and getting very frustrated. The bulk of the frustration is being caused by my insurance company(will probably switch after this nightmare)...

Reference for my shorthand - IC = Insurance Company, SL = Safelite

2018 Q7 Prestige
Got a crack in my windshield from a rock or bolt on the highway.
Researched and found it would cost in the neighborhood of $1200-1500 to repair and decided I would file a claim with IC($500 deductible).
Stopped in at SL(about a mile from my house) and they said they use OEM glass and have the equipment on-site to re-calibrate the vehicles systems, but my insurance requires that I start the claim with them.
Called my IC but SL was not on their preferred list so I requested the work be done by the dealer(only 2 Audi dealers within 1 hr. of my house).
Closest Audi dealer said they do not replace windshields and gave information for their sub-contractor(was 1 hr. away so I asked to use SL).
IC said it was ok to use SL and called them up.
On conference call with IC and SL, SL informed me that they do not agree with the IC cost estimate.
I asked what does that mean for me? Do I have to pay the difference or will they refuse to do the work?
SL stated that they would still perform the work with me just paying my deductible, nothing additional.
Scheduled the appointment to take place 5/3 at 1:00pm.
Got a call from SL on 5/3 at 8:00 am. Someone ordered aftermarket glass, which they know will not work. They do not have the OEM glass available and will have to reschedule. SL will call me back to reschedule once the glass is ordered.
Got an email from SL on 5/4 at 6:00 am. Stating they look forward to seeing me on 5/9 at 3:00pm (I never scheduled this), but that I will have to take my car to the dealer for recalibration.
Got a call from SL 5/8 at noon, asking if I was still interested in the repair. Stated that I would like to have all repairs done at a single location. If they cannot calibrate then no, I am no longer interested.
Called 2nd Audi Dealer(further away) and was told that they do not do the repair. Asked if they can refer me to someone who does. Was put on hold and was hung up on after 2 minutes.
Waited 30 minutes, called 2nd Audi Dealer again. Was forwarded to a service rep(very frustrated at this point). Explained how no glass installer will do the complete job and no Audi dealer will install the glass, so how in the hell am I supposed to get my windshield repaired.
Finally, the rep stated that they would order the glass, contract out the install (which would be done at the dealers location), and complete the recalibration. BUT they do not accept insurance, So I would have pay out of pocket and submit it to my IC.
Told them I would call back to confirm after I spoke with IC.
Spoke with my personal reps office with IC and was told I will be reimbursed minus my deductible. Just keep the receipts.
Called and confirmed an appointment with the dealer.
Received a call back from IC stating that they may not cover the full repair cost minus my deductible.
Wife caught me typing this post instead of working on my Honey Do List. HOLY HELL has been raised.
Wife called friend who works at IC. Wife's friend conferenced in IC adjuster to try to get explaination. Adjuster(man) said something rude to wife's friend(woman). HOLY HOLY HELL has been raised.
Wife's friend said she will get to the bottom of this and call us back in the morning.

I think the refusal to do the work from SL and the others have to do with the IC refusing to pay the cost. Don't think they understand the updated pricing on some of these newer windshields with advanced systems in them...
Old 05-08-2019, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I think you need to dump your IC as you stated early in your post. Its warranted...
Old 05-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

FWIW I've had 2 windshield replacements in my Q7. Same guy, in my driveway, no calibration and everything works fine.

My deductible is $250, but he only charged me $125 each time.

And Safelite is the suck!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I think you need to dump your IC as you stated early in your post. Its warranted...
+1.

I had to have my windshield replaced a few weeks ago (2018 Prestige with DAP) and thanks to this forum I knew I needed the calibration. I called my insurance and explained the situation, saying I didn’t want to use Safelite given all the tech involved and need for calibration (the agent on the phone said she totally understood). She opened the claim and I then called my Audi dealer for a quote. They referred me to 3rd party installer for the windshield and quoted 1,200 for the calibration of HUD and cameras (I think this is over the top but as long as insurance was covering it, I wasn’t going to argue...). 3rd party installer quoted about 1,300 for the windshield and they said they would come to the Audi dealer for it.

Submitted the estimates online to the insurance company, they sent me 2 checks a few days later (minus deductible) and the car was at the dealer for 1.5 days and it was fixed.

It took a few phone calls and emails to sort it all out in the beginning but insurance came through. Happy to share the name of the company - just send me a PM.

Tom
Old 05-09-2019, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by tw2018
+1.

I had to have my windshield replaced a few weeks ago (2018 Prestige with DAP) and thanks to this forum I knew I needed the calibration. I called my insurance and explained the situation, saying I didn’t want to use Safelite given all the tech involved and need for calibration (the agent on the phone said she totally understood). She opened the claim and I then called my Audi dealer for a quote. They referred me to 3rd party installer for the windshield and quoted 1,200 for the calibration of HUD and cameras (I think this is over the top but as long as insurance was covering it, I wasn’t going to argue...). 3rd party installer quoted about 1,300 for the windshield and they said they would come to the Audi dealer for it.

Submitted the estimates online to the insurance company, they sent me 2 checks a few days later (minus deductible) and the car was at the dealer for 1.5 days and it was fixed.

It took a few phone calls and emails to sort it all out in the beginning but insurance came through. Happy to share the name of the company - just send me a PM.

Tom
Given how many have reported no calibration needed, its amazing the dealers can still scam the ICs (and customers) into paying them for this. Its only a matter of time...