Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Over The Air (OTA) Map Updates

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcaddict66
This message showed up on mine today too.

Did you have to navigate through any menus to get that message, or did it just pop up on your screen? I haven't received the message yet, and it currently shows that I have reached the maximum number of online updates. I will go ahead and download the latest full update package from the MyAudi portal and install it from an SD card

Last edited by Jim Herrod; 07-07-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a similar map update message last Sunday while pulling out of a garage. I was fiddling with the NAV, so you may need to be in the NAV screen for it to appear. I believe you are entitled to 5 map updates and they updates come out every half year, so I'm surprised you ran out of online updates.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Herrod
Did you have to navigate through any menus to get that message, or did it just pop up on your screen? I haven't received the message yet, and it currently shows that I have reached the maximum number of online updates. I will go ahead and download the latest package from on MyAudi portal and install it from an SD card
For me, it just popped automatically while I was on the navigation screen. This is the first update that I received.

There was some confusion earlier in another thread regarding the ability to receive free updates once the Audi Connect subscription expires, well this just confirms thats not the case. The two work independently (OTA Map update and Audi Connect). Also, as @Bozman5000 pointed, glad to know that the updates are free for 3 years.

Cheers.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Same thing happened to me on Wednesday as soon as I started the vehicle. I accepted the update and it downloaded in the background.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jim Herrod
Did you have to navigate through any menus to get that message, or did it just pop up on your screen? I haven't received the message yet, and it currently shows that I have reached the maximum number of online updates. I will go ahead and download the latest package from on MyAudi portal and install it from an SD card
It just popped up on its own.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You only get your region OTA. The online download gives you all of North America.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't figure out how the online download works, only gives me a file and nothing happens. I double click on it then it asks what software I want to open it. So OTA it is!!.
Unlike some people though nothing popped up saying there was a new update. Had to manually do it. The northeast region where I live is almost 1 gig and that took a while. Whats nice is the download takes up where you left off so you can do you're normal driving and not have the car running.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelbliss
Couldn't figure out how the online download works, only gives me a file and nothing happens. I double click on it then it asks what software I want to open it. So OTA it is!!.
Unlike some people though nothing popped up saying there was a new update. Had to manually do it. The northeast region where I live is almost 1 gig and that took a while. Whats nice is the download takes up where you left off so you can do you're normal driving and not have the car running.
After saving the downloader file to your computer, you need Java to run the download file to access the MyAudi server to download the map update files. Then you can copy them to an SD card, which needs to be at least a 16 GB SD card because the files add up to about 10.5 GB.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For those interested in going the manual route rather than waiting for the option to update appear automatically, see below -

Settings --> System Maintenance --> System Update --> Online Update --> wait for it ...

It will then show the default region and you have the option to select additional regions by choosing "Select more countries". Yes, countries

Finally, select the corresponding checkboxes to your regions of interest. Good luck!