Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 Buying Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following on to my last post: looks like the 5 spoke 20" wheels require S Line sports package: that gives you 285/45 all-season run-flat tires: weren't people here complaining about the ride with the run flats?
What is the general consensus on run-flat tires, which I've never had before?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I bought our progressive back in Sept. The only "must" option for me was trailer hitch as we have a small travel trailer. I picked from dealer stock (didn't want to wait to order one to spec).
Larger wheels look nicer but you sacrifice the comfort of the ride, plus you pay $$$ to replace tires. I went with 19". You can get good 19" winter tires and wheels that look identical to Audi OEM wheels from Costco at good price. Have the Driver assistance package but don't use it really. If I could I'd add the dynamic ride (air suspension).
Old 01-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Vitaly Kovtun
As for the MY 2020. You can seat in Q8 inside and it will give you an idea how the 2020 models will look inside. Outside changes are not that drastic. So you can decide yourself which car you like better. Also I'm confused why you are not going for the technik model for MY 2019. The difference is 3k but it adds a lot of luxury features (Led headlight, Interior Lighting plus, B&O sound system. rear sunshades, bigger wheels and wider tires)
That is good to know, thanks - re Q8 interior & MY 2020 Q7.

Well, I haven't read through all the details, but you may be right about just starting with the Technik ... lets take a look:
I was going to get a Progressive (-$3K) with Driver Assist Plus (+$3K9), Dynamic Ride package (+$3K9), B&O sound system (+$1K2), Towing package (+$0K55), LED headlights MAYBE ($+1K4), and 20" 10 spoke wheels (no extra cost) with anti-theft bolts (+$0K1).
Changes if I go Technik? Well, I need to pay the +$3K base price difference, and all the other stuff still costs the same except I get the LED headlights and B&O sound system free - that saves $2K6.
So net I am out $400 ... what else is the Technik package giving me then??
If nothing else significant, then it would not be worth it if I didn't want LED (RJC 1 likes LEDs better, arU4ic thinks xenon are better!).
Even if I did want LED, I'd want to know what that $400 is giving me.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MoInEd
I bought our progressive back in Sept. The only "must" option for me was trailer hitch as we have a small travel trailer. I picked from dealer stock (didn't want to wait to order one to spec).
Larger wheels look nicer but you sacrifice the comfort of the ride, plus you pay $$$ to replace tires. I went with 19". You can get good 19" winter tires and wheels that look identical to Audi OEM wheels from Costco at good price. Have the Driver assistance package but don't use it really. If I could I'd add the dynamic ride (air suspension).
Ahh, I thought also that 19" would be better riding, despite maybe not looking as nice as the larger wheels.
How do you feel now about 19" decision - any regrets? Are you perfectly happy with the performance and handling with the 19" size?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I was wondering more about tires and saw this thread:
Replace run-flat tires with regular tires on 2018 Q7
...and also this:
2018 Audi Q7 - Consumer Review by Danny [Edmunds]
...which have me somewhat sad realizing the compromises.
On the other hand I've read some pros about them...one site indicating
Many vehicles that come from the factory with run-flats feature suspension tuning that takes the characteristics of the tires into account. That’s one reason that some manufacturers don’t recommend replacing them with traditional tires.
And one responder in the above thread noted
I find the ride quality to be fine with 19” run flats. They’ve come a long way ... I also run 19” winter non-run flats and I don’t notice much of a difference between the tires as far as ride quality is concerned. The car comes with the compressor and slime, and should that not be sufficient to get you out of a jam, the car also comes with roadside assistance.
So do I believe those who are positive about them or the negatives???
Old 01-08-2019, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I have no idea how larger wheels can have an effect on performance and handling. I'm totally fine with standard 19" wheels and have the same size winter tires (almost identical wheels).
I wish the car didn't come with run-flat tires and had spare instead. My winters aren't run flat (very hard to find such tires and very $$$). But it is what it is.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Run Flats are horrible...if one thinks their vehicle rides ok with them, it will feel like riding on a f-ing cloud without them!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One way to get advice on what to get is by hearing what are the regrets from current owners.
If you haven't noticed already a new thread got started https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ng-q7-2965329/
I would recommend to follow it and see what regrets you can live with
Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anilx783
One way to get advice on what to get is by hearing what are the regrets from current owners. ...
Good advice, will do, thanks!
Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Running boards make sense if you have smaller children otherwise not necessary.

I prefer LEDs to Xenon

Rims are obviously a personal preference. Larger ones tend to cost more, (rims and tires) and ride harsher. If you love the look or are doing certain things with you Q that larger rims are beneficial go for it, otherwise its probably not worth it.

Quick Reply: Q7 Buying Advice?