Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Transponder Location

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Transponder Location

I searched the manual but couldnt find anything. Is there any particular place in the windshield where the transponder (EzPass) should be located? I know in some vehicles like my MB, they have two areas clearly marked in the manual where the transponder should be placed, so as not to interfere with other radar, etc.

Any such places here in the Q7? Or just place it to the right of the rear view mirror towards the top?
Old 07-12-2017, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put mine to the right of windshield camera above mirror.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I searched the manual but couldnt find anything. Is there any particular place in the windshield where the transponder (EzPass) should be located? I know in some vehicles like my MB, they have two areas clearly marked in the manual where the transponder should be placed, so as not to interfere with other radar, etc.

Any such places here in the Q7? Or just place it to the right of the rear view mirror towards the top?
Those areas are only designated on solar reflective windshields (IR glass). Because of the additional coating on the glass, it blocks radio waves blocking transmissions from transponder devices (such as EzPass). These designated areas purposely lack the coating to allow for transponder use. Generally are located to the right and left of the mirror and in the lowest center part of the windshield. EzPass by itself will not interfere with cameras or radar system.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine on the passenger side of the window close to the headliner and mirror assembly. I have the older square flat tag versus the newer thin ones, so despite what is probably a weak battery at this point, my EZ Pass works fine.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by gsobol
Those areas are only designated on solar reflective windshields (IR glass). Because of the additional coating on the glass, it blocks radio waves blocking transmissions from transponder devices (such as EzPass). These designated areas purposely lack the coating to allow for transponder use. Generally are located to the right and left of the mirror and in the lowest center part of the windshield. EzPass by itself will not interfere with cameras or radar system.
Ah, yes. That's it.