Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

USB-C Cable for wired connection to car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default USB-C Cable for wired connection to car

We recently switched the whole family's phones and two phones have gone from microUSB to USB-C devices. As a result, the OEM cable for connecting to the car for Android Auto is no longer of use to us.

We use the cable that came with the phone for now and it works great but we need to order a few replacements for different cars we own. But speaking specifically about the Q7, has anyone had any issues with using third party USB-C cables and getting the car to recognize it when plugged in directly under the a rm rest? I'm sure a proper car charger would have no issues but some cables get picky when it comes to power transfer and/or data transfer and I know USB-C cables can come with one or the other or both.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky
We recently switched the whole family's phones and two phones have gone from microUSB to USB-C devices. As a result, the OEM cable for connecting to the car for Android Auto is no longer of use to us.

We use the cable that came with the phone for now and it works great but we need to order a few replacements for different cars we own. But speaking specifically about the Q7, has anyone had any issues with using third party USB-C cables and getting the car to recognize it when plugged in directly under the a rm rest? I'm sure a proper car charger would have no issues but some cables get picky when it comes to power transfer and/or data transfer and I know USB-C cables can come with one or the other or both.
You might want to try using your existing Audi cable with micro-USB to USB-C conversion connector /cable. There are plenty of them around and most are priced at $5-$8.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by smacky

I can't imagine that a standard USB C to USB A cable would not be fine. I have a Pixel 2 XL and it works with my Android Auto in my Honda (Q7 is at sea on the way). There are some crappy USB C cables out there (here is an older article on that):

Bad USB C

Of course, if you want to take advantage of fast charge, I am not sure if the USB outlets on the Q7 support that and, if so, which of several fast charge protocols that would be. For that you may need to buy the correct fast charge cigarette lighter style adapter.

For what it is worth, here is the USB A to C cable I have used with my Pixel 2 XL and Honda Ridleline for some time:

USB Cable
Old 05-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Wife and I just bought new Galaxy S-10 phones. Bought this.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-23-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
Wife an I just bought new Galaxy S-10 phones. Bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those are OK but given how cheap cables alone are, it makes more sense (to me) to just buy a new cable. Fewer connections to cause trouble. There really should be nothing magic about an "Audi" cable. USB is USB and the only variance should be USB version compatibility (1 vs. 2 vs. 3) and quality of the build.

I do generally like Anker stuff - not so much for the quality (I have had a small % of real dogs from Anker) but due to their great customer service and replacement/refund policy.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Another discussion of the cable topic for Android Auto is here: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-.../#post25320465

TLDR: USB-C cables are more finicky than Micro-USB for Android Auto. They don't have as strict a standard for power resistance and data, and sometimes cars shut down the cable if it accepts too much power. Also, nature of AA is that you are streaming video (and various sound channels) to the car constantly with the UI, and receiving back car sensor and button input data, and this isn't what some cables are built to handle.

Anker PowerLine cables are what I've used with AA for many years and I've never had problems with them.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:11 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Force-1
Wife and I just bought new Galaxy S-10 phones. Bought this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also use these with my Note 9.. I have so many OEM Galaxy cables from previous phones that it made more sense to buy a package of these adapters.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Use the connection adapter. Purchased off Amazon and they work just fine. I just wish there was more room for my Galaxy S10+ to fit in the center console compartment.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I realized that I could use the adapter that came in the box with my S10 to convert microUSB to USB-C. When I first saw it, I was confused as to why I would need it because I didn't plan to use my S7 charger anymore, but then I realized that both the S7 and S10 chargers I have are the same output, 2.0A and so I could Fast Charge with both of them, so long as I used the adapter on the old S7 charger that came with the phone.

Real brain fart moment, but I got the phone less than a week ago and felt I was behind on getting accessories for it due to the change from microUSB to USB-C.

I'll still need a cable for my other cars, at least the ones that don't have Android Auto but I use an aux cable to play music in the car and also still need to use a power cable for a car charger on longer drives.

I'll go with the Anker PD2, as someone above suggested. I've been hearing good things about them.