New to board...I just got it a month ago

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to board...I just got it a month ago

O.K. First off, I've never owned an Audi before, let alone a quattro ( goes without saying ) For a few months I had been really interested in this car...loved the styling and the sounds it made...then the opportunity came up where one day while searching for a "new" car in the auto trader I came upon the very car that had so many times before captured my total attention and as a bonus it resided in my small Nortwestern Connecticut town...so after 2 test drives I was hooked...and the price was within budget ( after a little haggling ) So i threw away any notion of owning a newer, more "practical" car...I opted for fun. I'm not sure where to start as far as keeping this thing alive as long as possible , while continuing to enjoy its fun-to-drive factor...A winter car is already owned ( having grown up in Buffalo, NY I know what rust can grow on ) Plan on getting all the tiny little bubbles of "Mr. Nasty"---rust. Just some small bubbles around the rear fender well and rocker panels....but I figure..hey, its 20 years old. Anyway...Hello to you all, and hope I can get some insight into the world of Quattro Coupe owners...for I have elected myself to be one.

Mark Walsh
1983 Audi Turbo Quattro Coupe
1968 Triumph GT6
1988 Honda Civic LX...must stand for "luxury"

"I want to make it faster."
Old 06-05-2003, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: New to board

Welcome to the fold. The people on this forum are great, and will always try and give you helpful advise. For over a year my 83 was my daily driver and would love to keep it that way but decided to get a 94 S4 for my beater car, but still find myself choosing the UrQ on nicer days.

Enjoy
Mike DesChenes
Old 06-05-2003, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New to board

You just missed it!
There was a get together near New Haven a week ago, and 21 quattros were there!
There is talk already of another one next year.
You will find that there is a good number of quattros from New England here on this board.
Welcome to the rewards/challenges of urq ownership.
I'm one of the newer people on this board. I have only owned a quattro for 8 months, and in the middle of a restoration.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Was that Pauls car - silver or maybe gobi?

Paul Masucci 's car? I was going to look at that car - but at some point he indicated he was waiting on the CT title to come. I seem to miss out on more urq's because I'm looking for the title to be in the sellers name. I'm not sure if I'm being too cautions or not. NYSDMV is very quick to reject a title if it has any crossouts on it - like if someone buys the car - doesn't get a new title and then tries to sign it over to a new buyer - crossing out his name as the buyer. Actually NYSDMV wouldn't let me register one of my own cars because my insurance company left my middle initial off the insurance card. THe last thing I need is to buy a urq that I can't register. That's kind of the opposite of urq preservation - being forced to part out a perfectly good urq cause DMV sees a crossout on the title and the owner by title can't be found or is unwilling to rectify matters after he's got his cash.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default UPG is going public in Sept (Labor Day)...

...we are going to assemble as many URqs as we can get for the Vintage Festival at Lime Rock Raceway. We would love to see you there (and bring your Urq too).
Old 06-06-2003, 07:53 AM

Default Re: UPG is going public in Sept (Labor Day)...

I plan on it!...I actually braved the **** poor weather we had on Memorial Day to bring it to LRP...it even got nods of appreciation in the pouring rain...it was different...in fact theres an 84 UrQ floating around...one of the parking attendants at the race that day immediately walked up to me after I got out of it and asked what year it was...and preceded to tell me about his 84...so there out there and it seems to be quite a few here in the area.
Old 06-06-2003, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Was that Pauls car - silver or maybe gobi?

Yes sir, Pauls car it was...I'm still waiting for the title in his name from the DMV...but I've been lucky enough to have my old NY plates on and not get pulled over ( well, once, but luckily the trooper was the husband of one of my supervisors when I worked at Skip Barber....so he let me go ...wheew )I see Paul used some of the cash from his sale to me, he went out and bought a nice A6 Avant...the UrQ has some minor issues, but runs really well, and everything seems pretty much proper and sorted....so , not a bad deal. But yes, its the silver one in Winsted.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:08 AM

Default Re: New to board and then some....

Thank You all for a warm welcome ....seems to be UrQ owners "stick together", for what its worth. Compared to the "British" car crowd, ( my profanity provoking machine is a Triumph GT6..I hope German cars are nothing like British ones, although I think "Sir Lucas" worked for Audi at one time )UrQ owners seem to share information and help others, whereas the British club guys will refrain from anything helpful and usually throw in how much they paid, even for lowly GT6 owners. They also seem to be taken strange by my age ( 27....NOT average for a British car owner these days )...But I think I'll suit an Audi "group" much better..Thank You
Old 06-06-2003, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Thanks for explaining what happen - I'm getting a complex

Yea - I'm getting a complex cause all these urq's are passing my by. SO at least I feel like I'm not a leper in this case. I told him to contact me when he got the title back from dmv.
His 84 4000quattro came up for sale and I was going to look at that but it also sold quickly. At $800 it seemed like a good buy.
Anyway good luck with your new urq - when you get the title if you decide to sell it let me know. I'm about 90 minutes away.
steve
Old 06-06-2003, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Great! Yes there will be a UPG-2004 just no idea where or when.