WOW, this is cool, but I don't deserve it........

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOW, this is cool, but I don't deserve it........

6:30 this morning I got back from a run to Billings, Mt. When I walked in the office to turnin my paperwork and to see what is up for tonight/tomorrow, I get handed a large manilla envelope. Inside, I found a handwritten thank you letter, a Certificate of Appreciation, and $100.00 AmEx gift card, and a courtesy letter.

Here's the story........
As all of you know, I'm a regional truck driver based here in Denver, for the last year, I have been making a run to Montana about every couple of weeks. Well, 2 yrs ago, while returning from one a trip, I came upon a single car accident. Mind you, this was 3:30 am, on I-25, it was very cold and snowing. A young couple (late 20's) was on their way from Seattle to Chicago for Christmas with family.
They were trying to drive straight through and the guy fell asleep at the wheel. The car went off the highway, he woke up over corrected and ended up in a snow bank about 30ft out from the SB shoulder on it's side. The car had rolled twice, but was otherwise intact.
I stopped, trudged through shin to knee deep snow to get to them. The guy was pretty badly shaken up, had some nasty bruises, a bloody nose and split lip. The woman, although she was asleep, was still tossed about. She ended up with a concussion, a broken arm, broken nose, and some various other bumps and bruises, all this I found out week later.
As soon as I stopped I called 911, but in the area where we were, cell coverage is spotty and it took me 4 tries. As a former EMT I knew to not move her and to wait until paramedice got there to get her out. But in this case, she had already partially crawled out. I got her the rest of the way out, but made her stay by the car, another trucker had stopped a few minutes after me and came to help. I told him we needed some heavy blankets for her, he didn't have anything so I had him grab my sleeping bag from my semi to wrap her in.
Anyhow, they were both transported to a hospital in Casper, she was later airlifted to Cheyenne because of the head injury.
Since that time, I had forgotten about the incident. Anyhow, they have been trying to send me a thank you letter, but didn't have any information about me. WHP would not release witness info to them, so they sent a letter to the Commander for that district, he inturn did some digging, and forwarded the letter the couple sent him, along with a thank you letter specific to me. The Certificate of Appreciation was from WHP for my actions, and the AmEx card was from the womans father as a thank you for helping his daughter.
Anyhow, too me it's cool, but I really don't deserve it. I mean, I was just doing my job, it was nothing special.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sounds like you do deserve it. lots of people would have kept driving in the cold at 3:30am

it is those little decisions we all make that make a difference in the lives of others.

at a minimum it should be good to know that they ended up OK.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That was really great of you :)

like Andrew said, I bet more folks would have just kept on going.

That was really nice of them to track you down to say thanks. Good karma for you!
Old 08-10-2006, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

that is cool!
Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Way to be! That is commendable.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Great job - thanks for sharing - and no this was not your job - you're a great guy
Old 08-12-2006, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Founder

well done, you deserved the recognition