RS 7 Discussion forum for the Audi RS 7

Need opinion - Wheel and Tire Protection & Xpel Ultimate for RS7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need opinion - Wheel and Tire Protection & Xpel Ultimate for RS7?

Been reading for a few months now, and finally taking the plunge! Just put a deposit down on a lightly used black 2015 RS7!

Question on the tires and wheels protection. Dealership wanted $2299 for unlimited tire and rim protection through Allstate including up to $800 worth of cosmetic repairs for road rash. I talked him down to $1200 for 4 years, but I still wonder if it's worth it. Alternatively I can go with Audi wheel and tire protection deluxe for $1000 but I won't get road rash protection for the rims. (got the 21" factory blade rims on it)

Any opinions on the allstate tire and wheel insurance? Alternatively anyone have opinions on whether I should buy wheel and tire protection at all?

Secondly I think I'm going to do the Xpel Utlimate for the full hood, front bumper, mirrors and lip of the back trunk. They said $1000 for that. Would you do it, if so what areas need covered?
Old 03-08-2016, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winterk80
Been reading for a few months now, and finally taking the plunge! Just put a deposit down on a lightly used black 2015 RS7!

Question on the tires and wheels protection. Dealership wanted $2299 for unlimited tire and rim protection through Allstate including up to $800 worth of cosmetic repairs for road rash. I talked him down to $1200 for 4 years, but I still wonder if it's worth it. Alternatively I can go with Audi wheel and tire protection deluxe for $1000 but I won't get road rash protection for the rims. (got the 21" factory blade rims on it)

Any opinions on the allstate tire and wheel insurance? Alternatively anyone have opinions on whether I should buy wheel and tire protection at all?

Secondly I think I'm going to do the Xpel Utlimate for the full hood, front bumper, mirrors and lip of the back trunk. They said $1000 for that. Would you do it, if so what areas need covered?
I am definitely doing it. Same areas as you, though I wasn't thinking about the trunk. What I am thinking of adding to that is the doors, as dings from thoughtless people really **** me off.

For anyone that has done the Xpel Ultimate on their doors, does it protect from dings?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I always pass on the wheel coverage. If you read the fine print of the contract, there are usually several "gotchas".

As to the Xpel Ultimate, $1000 is in the ballpark for full one piece hood and bumper. I suggest adding the front fenders, rocker panels and A pillars which should run about $500-$700 more. Well worth it. A small piece on the top of rear bumper to prevent scratches when loading stuff in the trunk would be sufficient. Also, be sure they wrap the hood and fender edges so no film seams are visible. (Doesn't matter on the mirrors and front bumper as seams on the smaller pieces are difficult to see).

Originally Posted by 16RS7
I am definitely doing it. Same areas as you, though I wasn't thinking about the trunk. What I am thinking of adding to that is the doors, as dings from thoughtless people really **** me off.

For anyone that has done the Xpel Ultimate on their doors, does it protect from dings?
The Ultimate film will not protect from a hit with enough force to cause a door ding. It will protect from things that would cause a paint chip such as small rocks and gravel. As to doing the doors, IMO that would be a waste of money as rocks and such are unlikely to reach them and the film will not prevent most door dings from careless people. Better to do the front fenders, A pillars and rocker panels as I mentioned above.

If you guys want to get the best protection, consider adding further paint protection against UV, bugs, paint fade and other environmental damage with an application of Opti-Coat Pro and optionally, Opti-Coat Plus. Applied on the full car, wheels and film, you can forgo even having to wax the car and It will be good for many years. At almost 4 years with no waxing and my A6 still looks shiny and is easier to clean.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RS7 has Xpel Ultimate (pretty much the WHOLE car, the only part not covered is the trunk) + Opticoat PLUS on top of the film.

$3900 for Xpel Ultimate and $ 750 Opticoat PLUS for the Exterior and Opticoat fabric (for my Lunar Silver interior )....to give you ball park.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chucky0731
My RS7 has Xpel Ultimate (pretty much the WHOLE car, the only part not covered is the trunk) + Opticoat PLUS on top of the film.

$3900 for Xpel Ultimate and $ 750 Opticoat PLUS for the Exterior and Opticoat fabric (for my Lunar Silver interior )....to give you ball park.
Thanks guys I'll look into the opticoat plus as well soumds pretty nice, does it protect against scratches or is it more like a longer lasting wax?
Old 03-09-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks guys I'll look into the opticoat plus as well soumds pretty nice, does it protect against scratches or is it more like a longer lasting wax?
It's not a wax. It's a hard, very long lasting (Optimum provides a 5 year warranty) ceramic coating that protects the paint against the things I mentioned in my previous post. It does not prevent deep scratches but does helps to minimize swirls. Due to its low tensile properties, water rolls off easier and less dirt tends to stick to the finish. Makes cleaning wheels easier as well,

There are actually two professionally applied coatings available for the paint surfaces: Opti-Coat Pro and the optional Opti-Coat Plus layer that is applied last. The Plus layer adds a slicker, glossier finish.

Check out their website:
Optimum Polymer Technologies : Accelerate Into The Future | Optimum Polymer Technologies