RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

"with a car like that (RS4), you why would you bother with a motorcycle?"

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 06:45 AM
zx9
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I sold my bike to keep the wife happy, and ever since i bought the rs i don't

have much of a desire to ride anymore. But even though the rs is fast, it will still never compare to the open air thrill of a good sport bike.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default THe numbers definitely support the danger of riding a motorcycle...

Motorcycle fatalities occur at a rate of 35 per hundred miles travelled, compared to 1.7 per 100 million miles travelled for vehicles. So you are close to twenty times more likely to die while driving a motorcycle than a car. These number are from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in DC.

Motorcycle fatalities rose 6% last year, and 13% the year before while vehicular fatalities have been dropping.

In terms or looking at chances of dying of heart disease or cancer. Those are the number 1 and 2 causes of death in the US..over a million people per year die as a cause of those two diseases...

Now, riding a motorcycle in NYC...that would be even worse. I lived in Manhattan for 6 years, and I still have my place on 63rd and 1st, and head down there about once a month..I use to ride my bike often from the cornell campus up to columbia at 168 and broadway. a nightmare....i would have to imagine your chance of serious injury while not death, on the streets of NY is significantly higher on a motorcycle than in other parts of the country, though fatality may be lower as speeds rarely break 40mph....NYC is the last place you would catch me riding my bike..
Old 09-14-2008, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default you should read the rest of the Hurt report you are quoting

I've summarized it along with IIHS and NTSB data in my other post above.

https://forums.audiworld.com/rs4b7/msgs/99066.phtml

Hard data says that if you don't do stupid things, you are only two to three times as likely to die on a motorcycle as opposed to car.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default If you're talking about the limitation of time or money you have to devote to both,

that statement does make sense. Otherwise, it's apples and oranges. Car or bike, you may not have the time or money to devote to both "sports". This is a very real issue if you aspire to be a true enthusiast of both.

To be honest, I think anybody riding M/Cs should be a true enthusiast or not bother. I agree with the Hurt report that your risk of fatality is only 2 - 3 times higher than with cars but only if you stay away from booze, riding at night and maintain your skills. It takes a hell of a lot of practice to make use of the brakes on a M/C and to be able to observe and anticipate traffic.

Sunday riders are really a stat waiting to happen and it's only their very limited time in the saddle that keeps the stats down.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a KTM Superduke R for the street and a GSX-R 750 for the track.

Last month I did the Audi RS4 sportscar day at Sears Point and kept telling myself that I wished I had my track bike. The day was still tons of fun but performance and thrill wise, cars are simply incomparable to even an average motorcycle.

When one doesn't have an affinity for bikes or resents them for whatever reason they'll usually throw out the donorcycle or murdercycle comment. I've noticed people who make these comments are held back by fear in their own lives and don't live their's to the fullest. Excuses like responsibilty or the wife doesn't like it, kids etc are always the excuse. But what is it really? If you ask me they're cowards and they resent you because you choose not to live life full of fear nor hold yourself back like they do. So the only thing they can do that is acceptable both socially and with the wife is to go to the golf course to live out their lousy lives, and point their fingers at those who are truly experiencing life and not merely waiting till its over. The freaking golf course is where people go to die, not motorcycling.

I've been a motorcyclist from the time I was a teenager. Through the years I've taken breaks from it for the same reasons, kids, good career, responsibility, all of that. But if I didn't have a motorcycle that I could take off on every once in a while I wouldn't be content, and I wouldn't be living my life to its fullest. It makes you feel alive in a way the conformists will never know.