RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Does the RS4 come with a speed limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the RS4 come with a speed limiter?

Is it available only on certain models (Premium, Ti, or Executive package)?
How does it work? Sorry, I don't have a user manual yet and they're not available online from what I can tell...
Thanks.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by G35Dalf
Is it available only on certain models (Premium, Ti, or Executive package)?
How does it work? Sorry, I don't have a user manual yet and they're not available online from what I can tell...
Thanks.
If by speed limiter you mean has the manufacturer pre-determined a maximum speed then yes. Audi has limited the max. speed to 155 mph on B7 RS4s. This is done via the engine management system (computer). It is not based on "model". All RS4's sold in the US are speed limited by Audi. Not sure about ROW?
Some have said this is conservative and the cars will actually exceed 155 mph. I believe engine management tuners (APR)can remove and/or reset the speed limiter. Some provide "Valet" options that only allow someone who is parking your car a set maximum performance. (I like this feature!)

If you mean is there a way to program a specific speed yourself then the answer is "sort of". It's called a "Speed Warning System". It does not slow the car. It only warns the driver that a selected maximum speed has been reached (alarm tone).
To quote, "The SWS warns the driver if he exceeds a previously stored maximum speed. A warning tone willsound as soon as the vehicle speed exceeds the set speed by about 6 mph. At the same time, a warning symbol appears in the display"
You can set it for the current drive (disengages when the car is turned off Speed Warning 1) or set it so it's constant (remains until manually disengaged: Speed Warning 2).
Speed warning 1 is set using the "check" button on the instrument pod. Speed Warning 2 is set using the switches on the wiper arm.
It does not appear that the SWS is limited by RS4 model. All B7 RS4s should have this option.

Hope this is what you were asking?
Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific but your answers were beneficial anyway - I learned something new. Thanks a bunch zero2sixty.

Do you know if the SWS is specific to RS4 or all A4 models?

Also, this may have been asked before but are user manuals available online somewhere? I found the Audi technical site but it's $40 plus shipping... which is a bit steep if you include shipping to Canada...

Thanks

Last edited by G35Dalf; 12-04-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I should have been more specific but your answers were beneficial anyway - I learned something new. Thanks a bunch zero2sixty.

Also, this may have been asked before but are user manuals available online somewhere? I found the Audi technical site but it's $40 plus shipping... which is a bit steep if you include shipping to Canada...

Thanks
I thought I saw RS4 manuals on eBay recently. You may want to search eBay?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks
My '07 S4 has it. Not sure about the A4. Anyone?