RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Questions from new RS4 Cab owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from new RS4 Cab owner

Hello fellow Audi fans:

I have just moved on an 08 RS4 Cab, brand new and MAN am I excited. The car is being shipped to me in LA presently. I paid $58k cash for this car and it is the first car I have ever owned; previously I leased all my vehicles. It is also my first Audi, I was previously an E46 M3 convertible owner -- which was a sick, sick car but a new era is now upon me =)

As such I want to make sure that I baby this car from day one. I am aware of the RS4's two achilles heels: DRC/suspension and carbon buildup. Can the veterans on here provide some sage advice for what I should do both in general and specifically with respect to these two issues to make sure I take good care of the car? I saw some info on the forum about a semi-recall on the DRC suspension -- the car already had two years of its warranty gone (AOA forced them to start it), so should I get a local dealer (Im in LA) to replace it now?

Also, I have one other random question: I am going to need to install some custom electronics: a passport 8500 power line to the mirror area, a StreetPilot 2730 power line to the center console, and ignition+battery to the glove box for my tracking unit (I am in the GPS tracking business and we make our own units). Anyone have advice on the best place to tap and run wires for these things? I do work on transit buses regularly so I feel pretty comfortable doing it myself, but please let me know if you think it will be complicated and I should have a shop do it for me.

I know what you're thinking: WTF does this guy want to install a StreetPilot when the Audi comes with navigation? Well, the Audi navigation controls are abysmally terrible IMHO, and I am just not going to be able to deal there =)

I know you guys are the best of the best so I am listening attentively to what you have to say.

I am really stoked about joining the ranks of the very small RS4 club.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the purchase, I take it you were the one interested in my brothers RS4 Cab? Glad to see you found one. Neither my cab or my brothers had any DRC problems. To help avoid buildup make sure you use a tier one gas, Only thing we put in our cars was Shell 93. Also when serviced had some type of fuel system clean out done, Was $140 but figured it was good preventive maintenance. Sorry I can't offer any advice on the electronics, The one thing I would suggest is throwing on Tubi exhaust. Best sounding car I have ever owned and still miss it. And get some pictures up soon
Old 10-31-2009, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Scott,
Yeah that was me. I was seriously bummed your cab moved before I was ready, Avus Silver is a sick color and I would have preferred it to the black I got, but I'm stoked either way. You had it up at a hell of a good price and I bet the guy who snapped it up is very happy with it.

Thanks for the advice on the fuel, I have definitely heard that echoed here before and will be putting tier one fuel in the new ride. I was previously of the mind that all gas was created equal and just put regular in my M3, but then again it was no RS4 and it was leased so I didn't much care.

As for the tubi, it really made an impression on me how many people have echoed what you said about that exhaust. I've seen the youtube video you sent (which I think had the tubi) and it was sick. I am definitely considering it, although right now I am still dealing with the sticker shock of having spent $65k cash (after taxes, before it was 58k even) on this car.

As for pics, I don't actually have her in my posession right now because it's being shipped from the stealership in MD where I bought it. I should have it by end of next week. I do have the ones from the ad, see below.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

DRC... fix it if it breaks.
Carbon... use good gas.
But scott61 already said it once so lets give it a repeat. Say it loud, say it proud...

TUBI TUBI TUBI!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Congrats and welcome to the forum, jbig

Nice car!
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I also would strongly recommend

getting this smartTop for a few hundred $'s...i cannot imagine my RS4 cab w/o it...a convenience that should have come stock.

https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/ind...ew&idlistpos=1
Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats - If the DRC is working - no need to address it till it leaks and causes a rough ride or leaks on the floor.

Carbon - a issue on all direct injection engines - use the best gas and get a VAG-COM to look for codes.