S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Anyone with Tip have any trans problems? (eh-eh mm) None here. I have noticed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with Tip have any trans problems? (eh-eh mm) None here. I have noticed...

when in auto mode, and braking the car to a slow creeping stop at a light, first gear can engage a little rough - it sometimes feels like an actual clutch peddle that wasn't engaged smoothly. It's intermitant though. I'm wondering if it will soften up with time. (1010 miles as of today) It's not severe at all, it just feels like a tad rough engagement.

Just an aside: I'm starting to use the manual mode more now that I can start getting over 5000 rpms (I think that the more I use it, the more that rough 1st gear issue while subside). The tip is very precise the faster you drive it. Crisp downshifts with no wait after 4500 rpms. The computer is still active on manual mode though. If you go all the way down to the downshift button on the gas, the computer will shift you down to a lower gear you can still get more out of. If your in the right gear, the the computer leaves you alone though, even when your on the button - naturally.

For anyone wondering (I think mm esp.) on tight turns where your hands cross, it's better to use the PRDS+- Stick. This is a draw back of the paddles, although not prohibitive. You just have to use your right arm every now and again when leaving a parking lot onto a buisness road. Or you can simply just flip the PRDS+- stick over to auto for a second and then back again. At any rate, this is something that I'll have to explore the more I find myself shifting with the paddles. The good thing here is, you have options.

Also, exhaust note HAS changed. I thought you other guys were exagerating a bit. It sounds more like a turbine/rumble now and it is especially apparent just today as I hit 1000 and started playing in the 5000 rpm range (and yes, I came close to red lline once or twice, but only for a nano second). I got my first chance to go about 80% in some Califronia Mountain road S's. The car was so planted. I was jamming through 50mph curves at 85-90 with surprisingly little effort. My only worries were scuffing my new tires. I can see why so many are critical of the car's "feel". It really doesn't feel like the car is doing what it's doing. It took me having to use visual references like seeng nothing in my mirror well after I broke the car down to below speed llimit speeds and looking at the speedometer racing to 100mph like it was going from 10 to 50mph. This car has unbelieveable power all the way through the power curve. I knew this at lower revs. But after 4000, it's rediculous.

It's actually a bit scary as I write this because I remember thinking to myself as I was on my little "road test" that the car really didn't feel as fast as other comperative cars. But I've driven this stretch of road in other cars and I have to say none have done it with the agility and composure and the on-tap-acceloration this car did it with. It's scary because I know this car was engeneered with the idea to go fast and furious with little effort and it absolutely does - but where ARE the cars limits? I didn't feel like I came close to them, but logic tells me I could'nt have been that far - or could I. I think this question is at the root of the critisisms directed at the S4. I understand the problem traditional sports car orientated people have with this car, but I think this car speaks a whole different language than most others cars of it's ilk. I don't know if it's the gluey Quattro, the silky V-8, the almost imperceptible shifts, or the all-together solidness of this car - but it really is an all together different high performance car experience that I've ever had - and at that, the most complete. I Love it!

I digress.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:21 PM

Nice write up. I'm useing the "Sport" mode more and more. A blast
Old 10-14-2003, 05:19 PM

Default I've had the same experience w/ 1st gear.......

when coming to a slow stop......hopefully it will go away or become less noticeable over time....i just crossed the 1000 mile mark myself over this past weekend and I have yet to use the sport mode...i can't imagine the car to be any better than it already is, its scary!!
Old 10-14-2003, 05:23 PM

Default If you want to get used to the car's limits, strongly consider taking it to a Driver's Event at

a track. Between driver exercises (braking, skid pad, slalom, autoX, or whatever else is offered) and lapping sessions, you can learn a lot about how this critter handles without the worry of suddenly realizing you have found it's limits at an inappropriate moment out on a twisty mountain road with no gentle runouts to save your neck.

I have made a point of taking my car to several such events and even though I have been through them many times before and taught the exercises, I went through them again as a student knowing that I needed the opportunity to explore this cars limits as if I were a beginner again. The results have been rewarding - I now do know when it is starting to lose it's composure and traction and what to expect as you nuzzle up against the edges of those limits.

You are just starting to explore the real power curve of this engine - it starts at around 3500RPMs and pulls like crazy right up to redline getting stronger as you go right up to the rev limiter. Do be patient on heading there, but you have reached the point where you can start approaching the higher revs more and more frequently as you finish your break in miles.

Audi has done very well with this vehicle and I am still in awe of how far they went beyond the B5 series S4 model.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default the first gear thing won't go away...

I have the same thing with my B5 S4 tip too and I drove a used tip porsche found the same thing happen. No big deal is like that try heel toe a little bit it will help but make sure the right timing is very hard at the begining or just do what I did when you make sure is going to a stop put back to natural and let it roll to the stop line, try it and the paddle is for freeway /highspeed fun only not around city, parking lot I totally recomand D only