S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Thinking about a new car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a new car...

I've been thinking about getting a new car, but am thinking that I have a really good deal on my S. It's 05 (First half) dolphin gray, tiptronic. I bought it October '04 on a 42 month lease. I put about 4K down and my payment are only $560 per month. I've been researching other cars, but feel like something even slightly nicer is going to be much more expensive paymentwise. I have a friend that has a Toyota 4runner and pays 550 per month. Another has a new Land Rover LR3 and pays $800. Is my payment comparatively low for a lease or is everyone else paying similar. I feel like even an '05 M3 would be 800 or 900 per month.

The payoff on my car right now is 36K and at the end of the lease the payoff is around 27K. My question is will I get better service if I stick with Audi? I have a few minor upgrades so would they just take S back and give me a good deal on another new Audi? Or if I went to BMW, for example, would they even come close to paying the full $36K to payoff the Audi to get me in one of their cars. This is my first lease and am not sure how it all works. I only recently realized that I can break the lease by paying off the car early.

Has anyone faced this dilemma before? I love my S4 (which is why I'm not rushing to exchange), but I feel like there is not really a new Audi that I want. I would like the RS4 and hear great things about it, but I don't know if it would justify tripling my payment for a car that's not THAT much better (feel like I might get some criticism on that...). I followed one recently and it sounds insane, but then again, so does an M5 that probably comparatively priced.

Sorry about the long post...
Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, I'm kinda in the same boat as you...

as far a looking for an upgrade that won't cost much more, yet can't find one that's w/in a reasonable price range.

I'm not in a lease (mine's paid off), but if you have $36K to pay off, that'll be tough to match, I would suspect. I figure mine's probably worth that much as well and if I wanted to upgrade to say...a CPO RS6 which costs $60K or so, that's another $24K + tax I'd have to come up with.

IMO, your lease payment sounds low enough, especially when compared to leasing an RS4. In the end, I say keep it 'til the lease is up since I don't have suggestions on any new car that will justify a much higher car payment.

Not sure if I was much help, but just saying I understand your situation because I thought of this, too, and ran some #s, but didn't like the results. So, I'm sticking w/ my S4 and may SC it if they prove reliable.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Your sig is much more boring without the a$$e$.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Wow, I'm kinda in the same boat as you...

How's your CLK55? I was thinking about an E55. Maybe a year old or so...how does it drive compared to the S?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one reason your payments are so low is the chunk of change you put down on a down payment
Old 08-24-2006, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They're in my Picture Poster if you wanna see the ladies again.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 4k seems reasonable to me. I put down 4300 and

pay $513/mo. I'm considering a B7 and doing it up now that i've learned a few things. However, i'm not considering leaving Audi - no way. Glad i put that much down cause i can bail on my car and/or the lease at any time really.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, in some ways, I like the CLK55 better than the S4...

Reasons:

1) Lighter by about 100 lbs.
2) More hp (362 hp)
3) More torque (376 lbs. ft.)
4) Handles better (PSS9s and H&R Sways)
5) Keyless Go (I like the push button start on the gear shifter).

Of course, in the rain, the CLK55 doesn't compare to the S4's AWD, but it's still fun to drive...espcially when flying around corners after it was lowered. Also, plenty of passing power at freeway speeds, almost as if they were standing still.

Found the wifey's car on Autotrader for $39K. If you went this route, just know that the CLK63 Cab is our and some CLK55 owners may be trading theirs in. You might find some good deals out there. Also, in '05, the coupes have the quad exhaust while the '03-'04 have only the dual exhaust on the left side.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thats why I would never lease. Cash is king.

Purchased the car out right, which makes switching later a breeze.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default cash is king but...

if i said buy this stock from me! its fantastic! It will depreciate 20% on day 1 and about 15% thereafter yearly - no thanks. Leases are the way to go (of course) IMO. Own what you want and then let it go....
if you have mad cash then buy whatever, dont invest in cars they are always money pits unless you buy extreme cars.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new car...