S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Anyone Experience Their S-tronic Not Shifting Smoothly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Experience Their S-tronic Not Shifting Smoothly?

I've had my 2010 S4 with Prestige and ADS for 3 weeks now, and noticed that the S-tronic will intermittently NOT shift smoothly. It seems to happen about 25-50% of the time when taking-off from a stop at slow-to-medium speeds. It's not terrible, but I would have expected very smooth shifting when starting out slowly. It doesn't seem to matter how the ADS is set. I've never driven an all-wheel drive car or one with wide 19 inch wheels all around. I'm ready to take it in to see if anything is wrong. Is this normal for the S4? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best Regards, Hiker Guy
Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 s5 with tip auto it does the same thing at slw speeds seems like it starts off in a higher grear and then drops off to a lower grear I have seen somewhere on here that audi will remap the computer so when I take my car in for the 5k service I am going to ask the dealer that
Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HikerGuy
I've had my 2010 S4 with Prestige and ADS for 3 weeks now, and noticed that the S-tronic will intermittently NOT shift smoothly. It seems to happen about 25-50% of the time when taking-off from a stop at slow-to-medium speeds. It's not terrible, but I would have expected very smooth shifting when starting out slowly. It doesn't seem to matter how the ADS is set. I've never driven an all-wheel drive car or one with wide 19 inch wheels all around. I'm ready to take it in to see if anything is wrong. Is this normal for the S4? Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Best Regards, Hiker Guy
Every once in a while with a slow start from a complete stop it won't be as smooth, but to me, it just seems like a manual transmission. I notice the same type of thing when slowing down -- I can actually *feel* the downshifting, unlike in a truly automatic transmission.

I'm attributing some of that "abruptness" to the nature of the transmission. I've never felt like it was an inappropriate or worrisome up- or down-shift however.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have only had my '10 S5 for 3 days, but I noticed that too, but it feels more like it is a fuel saving measure. Kind'a like when you start off in second gear w/ a manual trans instead of 1st.

I haven't noticed any rough shifts if the tip is in "s" mode. So thats why I chalk it upto the "d" mode trying to save gas.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sigredz

I haven't noticed any rough shifts if the tip is in "s" mode. So thats why I chalk it upto the "d" mode trying to save gas.
Conversely, I sometimes experience overly aggressive shifts, almost uncomfortable jolts, when pottering around town, but only when the gearbox is in Dynamic mode. In all other settings it's very smooth.

I can foresee software upgrades for this box

@ Hiker Guy - it sounds as if yours is not quite right if it's happening in all ADS settings. Dealer trip!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete.S
Conversely, I sometimes experience overly aggressive shifts, almost uncomfortable jolts, when pottering around town, but only when the gearbox is in Dynamic mode. In all other settings it's very smooth.

I can foresee software upgrades for this box

@ Hiker Guy - it sounds as if yours is not quite right if it's happening in all ADS settings. Dealer trip!
This is expected, Dynamic is for very aggressive driving, and will make shifts and engine response MUCH faster and abrupt. Likewise your fuel econ will suffer a lot more in this mode.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've noticed that if you start from a dead standstill in dynamic and don't feed it enough gas then it can struggle with shifting. You can baby it and it's fine, floor it and it's happy as a clam, but there's a zone somewhere inbetween that it seems a tad confused. Not really an issue since I'm generally driving in other modes, but I did encounted this while learning to handle the beast. I've also encountered a couple of times where there was a lag downshifting at higher speeds when you floor it, say at around 65 or 70 mph (?). I then double tapped the left paddle shifter before stomping on the gas and it worked fine. I would not call this a recurring issue, just an idiosyncricy/quirk that will likely get smoothed over with eventual software upgrades.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Dynamic is for very aggressive driving, and will make shifts and engine response MUCH faster and abrupt. Likewise your fuel econ will suffer a lot more in this mode.
Yes I know, hence my use of the word "overly". Even allowing for the aggressive nature of the 'box in Dynamic mode, to which I'm well accustomed as I use it frequently, I get random very fierce shifts (at low speed and usually upshifting) which passengers have yelped at and which are too fierce and random to be correct intended characteristics of the setting.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...have the dealer check the DSG at your service, or take it in sooner if it's horrid and see what they say, it shouldn't be doing that much.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

But I don't have ADS in my 2010 s5 and it still does it a low speed not at all in sport mode

Quick Reply: Anyone Experience Their S-tronic Not Shifting Smoothly?