S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Decision, Exclusive color or not

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, an exclusive color makes sense if you lease since you really only pay for about 1/2 of the extra cost. Also, if you absolutely don't like any of the available colors. Not sure that an extra 3 week delivery time is accurate. In previous model years it took much longer.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
IMHO, an exclusive color makes sense if you lease since you really only pay for about 1/2 of the extra cost. Also, if you absolutely don't like any of the available colors. Not sure that an extra 3 week delivery time is accurate. In previous model years it took much longer.
Audi exclusive options can not be residualized. Meaning, if you lease you pay for the full cost during the term of your lease.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I spent that money on limited slip diff and dampening suspension. If I had an extra $2500.00 after getting those features I would definitely get a custom color and custom interior to match for another $2500.00
Old 08-08-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am leaning toward going with Sepang. As stated earlier, my previous cars have been some type of white, black or gray. I just need to get over the mental hurdle of paying a lot for paint.

There is an S5 in blue on the main AW page. Is this Sepang or another type of blue? Also I recall somebody posting a color chart showing all of the blue paints (Sepang, Sprint, ECB, etc). Does anybody have the link for this post?
Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I say go for it... nothing like a color you want to bring the extra oomph to your purchase.

Just make sure it's not a color that will overly date your car 5 years from now.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered Sepang on my 2011. Absolutely no regrets, and it added about a month to my order time. If I were ordering a 2013, it would be a hard choice between Sepang and EBC, though.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Toecutter
For me to spend $2500 extra for a custom color it would have to be markedly different from the available choices. In other words, I wouldn't do it for a slightly lighter shade of blue, slightly darker shade of red, etc. It would have to be something that screams, "LOOK AT ME!" such as bright orange or lime green with gold metal flake.

I saw a 911 drive by the other day with a tangerine orange exterior that I'd never seen before on that era of 911. It was head-turning.

Example: https://www.audiworld.com/news/10/re...rides-nick-s5/
My feelings are very similar. If I were to spring for a custom color, I would make it eye-catching and completely different from the palate of colors currently offered (like the orange you linked to). I forget who has the Signal Green color on one of these forums, but I find it to be a very fun color. It's obviously a personal choice, but I agree with you. :-)

Regardless...NHman if you like Sepang Blue, go for it. The S4 is really an enjoyable car with sportiness and performance of a high caliber that makes sense to have an option to put a custom color on it. If you can swing the cost without having to eat ramen noodles for the next few years, do it.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys think Sepang isn't eye catching, you haven't seen one in person. It's not loud like Sprint Blue, Imola Yellow, Solar Orange, or any of the bright reds, but it will definitely turn heads and get compliments. It has a lot of depth to it and can change depending on the lighting from the darkest Sprint or Nogaro at its lightest to a deep blue that is almost indigo with slight shades of purple.

With the speeds this car is capable of, loud may attract the wrong kind of attention, and I'm happy to say this car largely hasn't.

Last edited by helix139; 08-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by helix139
If you guys think Sepang isn't eye catching, you haven't seen one in person. It's not loud like Sprint Blue, Imola Yellow, Solar Orange, or any of the bright reds, but it will definitely turn heads and get compliments. It has a lot of depth to it and can change depending on the lighting from the darkest Sprint or Nogaro at its lightest to a deep blue that is almost indigo with slight shades of purple.
You're right, I haven't seen Sepang in person but how many shades of blue does Audi have? Sepang, Estoril, Sprint, Mugello, Nogaro, Moro, Moonlight, Scuba... What others? They're not that drastically different from one another or unusual enough *for me* to pay for a custom upcharge, but I have no problem against someone else doing so if it moves him.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Toecutter
You're right, I haven't seen Sepang in person but how many shades of blue does Audi have? Sepang, Estoril, Sprint, Mugello, Nogaro, Moro, Moonlight, Scuba... What others? They're not that drastically different from one another or unusual enough *for me* to pay for a custom upcharge, but I have no problem against someone else doing so if it moves him.
Hmmm, there's also Topaz Blue, Aqua Blue Marine, Mugello Blue, Aruba Blue, Kingfisher Blue, Mystic Blue Pearl, Blue Velvet, Deep Sea Blue, and my personal favorite, Jet Blue! Here's a link to the A5-S5 Forum's color thread. http://www.a5oc.com/forums/photos-vi...or-thread.html There are a lot of pics, including a number of an S5 cab in Sepang, along with a nicely done compilation of many of the Audi Exclusive colors (my car's in that on page 4). There's also a link to an S5 in "Morning Dew":

We saw this color on a color chip in an R8 exclusive ordering guide at our dealer, but passed when we learned it was a $6500 paint option. The Jet Blue worked for us ...

Last edited by GUEST123; 08-08-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Decision, Exclusive color or not